PDA

View Full Version : *double click* nothing!

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 01:15 AM
Pretty sure this has nothing to do with my video card settings, or computer specs. I downloaded and installed the demo just fine, but when I try to play the game... nothing happens!

Run> FarCry.exe = nothing
*double click* FarCry.exe = nothing

Nothing happens at all. I have no idea what to do to make this work.. and I've searched, unsucessfully, most of this forum for the answer. Can someone help me?

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 01:15 AM
Pretty sure this has nothing to do with my video card settings, or computer specs. I downloaded and installed the demo just fine, but when I try to play the game... nothing happens!

Run> FarCry.exe = nothing
*double click* FarCry.exe = nothing

Nothing happens at all. I have no idea what to do to make this work.. and I've searched, unsucessfully, most of this forum for the answer. Can someone help me?

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 01:33 AM
Has this even happened to anyone else?

I guess it will be a while for someone to reply...

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 02:01 AM
What OS are you running? If 2000 or XP, open the task manager, look in processes, then try to run Far Cry. Do you see the FarCry.exe process?

Post all of your system specs. CPU, Mem, GFX card, OS, DX version, etc... Maybe we can narrow it down from there.

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 02:25 AM
Pentium 4 1.79GHz
512 RAM
DX ver. 9.0b
I'm not quite sure of the specs for my crappy Radeon 7500 video card...

This might be a problem...
http://eteamz.com/uploadzfome/images/FarCryBAD1.jpg

I guess it didn't install the file... but wait!! IT'S RIGHT HERE!!!!
http://eteamz.com/uploadzfome/images/FarCryBAD2.jpg

I told ya.. I try to run it, and nothing happens. Click on the shortcut, and I get a few clicks and gurgles from the computer. Nothing out of the ordinary.. but it doesn't start!

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 02:30 AM
yes, but you see the folder is only 27 KB, there must have gone something wrong during install, did it gave any errors?

try reinstalling, see if it helps

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 02:31 AM
whoa.. didn't notice that..

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 02:34 AM
No, that's not it. My FarCry.exe is only 27Kb, as well. Have you tried to double click the FarCry.exe file itself, and not use the shortcut? Also, if you are running any antivirus, adware killers, system tools, reg monitors, things like Norton SystemWorks or similar programs, try disabling them and reinstalling the demo.

One other thing. Make sure you have admin rights to the PC. You probably do, but it never hurts to check.

Ok, this is the one other thing. Right click on the shortcut, and bring up the properties. Does the path to the FarCry.exe file match it's exact location on your hard drive? That could be the issue, as well.

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 02:45 AM
I'm sure the google toolbar wouldn't affect it... I'm not stupid, I've tried to open the exe file every way possible.

When I tried to uninstall.. it gave me this:
http://eteamz.com/uploadzfome/images/FarCryBAD3.jpg

I'm stupid.. what the hell is a msi file?

Oh, and I clicked cancel.. then it said something about the msi thingy.. I closed it before I could read it >.<

WHOA!! Hold on!!! Its trying to uninstall the files that I unzipped into a folder on the desktop.. what the hell?

Message Edited on 01/24/04 01:48AM by randomperson2k3

Message Edited on 01/24/0401:50AM by randomperson2k3

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 02:52 AM
An msi file is a Windows Installer file. It's similar to the InstallShield setup wizards you probably have seen from time to time when installing something, but it uses the Windows Installer service to run the installation.

When you downloaded the demo, you obviously extracted the zipped contents to your desktop under a folder called Far Cry Demo. That's what I'm getting from the screenshot you just posted. If you still have the download, re-extract the files to the same location, and then try the uninstall and reinstall. If you don't still have it, you'll need to download it.

What's happening is, the Windows Installer service is looking for information in the .msi file that it needs to perform the uninstall. Most of the time, when you uninstall an application, you don't need the original source material to uninstall it, as this info is placed in the directory with the installed application. In this case, as well as a few other cases I've seen, Microsoft Office 2000 being one of them, the uninstaller has to reference the original install files before it can uninstall. A pain, for sure, but it should work if you put the demo source install files back in that folder on your desktop.

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 09:31 AM
also check the log file in your directory... i had the same problem and in that log file it told me that it doesnt support my radeon mobility 7500.

shade

Message Edited on 01/24/0408:33AM by shadeone