PDA

View Full Version : Endlessly tinkering in Voltaic

jane_weaver
02-16-2004, 09:22 PM
I am mechanically challenged, and can only say that I've been out on catwalks and a pipe thing over the interior; in red and blue passageways; up and down and around a couple of stair-catwalk combos; through 2 round vent-like openings to the inside of the island; had the fan going and now it's off and I don't know how to turn it on again; the lava room with lava and without (and have moved the gear thing around in front of the painting--and back, to try to get to the fan); opened water gate and closed it and went down below; see computer screen, and have had different icons lit up, but not sure why (currently have 2 middle left ones lit); turned on something loud like a compressor through small window in tunnel near screen; saw 4 red round handles and color wheel with needle and dashed red marker and can't get them to cause any effect; another handle around the corner; crawled through 2 (or more ?) ceiling ducts. I heard steam briefly when turning red handles, but haven't seen any and right one doesn't work.

I got so frustrated I went and opened all the tusks with icons shining on them back on J'nanin and completed Edanna (with help from this group on bird puzzle), but now I'm back and just as lost as ever. The only positive is I've been frustrated fewer times than when finishing some parts of Riven (so far).

Why do I keep playing these #@%&^& games?

jane_weaver
02-16-2004, 09:22 PM
I am mechanically challenged, and can only say that I've been out on catwalks and a pipe thing over the interior; in red and blue passageways; up and down and around a couple of stair-catwalk combos; through 2 round vent-like openings to the inside of the island; had the fan going and now it's off and I don't know how to turn it on again; the lava room with lava and without (and have moved the gear thing around in front of the painting--and back, to try to get to the fan); opened water gate and closed it and went down below; see computer screen, and have had different icons lit up, but not sure why (currently have 2 middle left ones lit); turned on something loud like a compressor through small window in tunnel near screen; saw 4 red round handles and color wheel with needle and dashed red marker and can't get them to cause any effect; another handle around the corner; crawled through 2 (or more ?) ceiling ducts. I heard steam briefly when turning red handles, but haven't seen any and right one doesn't work.

I got so frustrated I went and opened all the tusks with icons shining on them back on J'nanin and completed Edanna (with help from this group on bird puzzle), but now I'm back and just as lost as ever. The only positive is I've been frustrated fewer times than when finishing some parts of Riven (so far).

Why do I keep playing these #@%&^& games?

Homer6
02-16-2004, 09:57 PM
Jane, you're doing the right thing, exploring. You say you were in the lava room but you didn't say if you turned the fan on. Notice the other control knob on the platform in the lava room, the one with a horizontal and circular slot? You had the right idea, just use both to lift you to the switch.

At the end of the blue tunnel did you notice the flooded entrance off to the right of the locked door? Have you been down that entrance? Perhaps it will help you enter the locked door at the end of the blue tunnel?

Have you seen the red handle valves, near where you climbed for the lava room? You have to figure out those valves inorder to inflate the airship balloon--but the fan must be running and lava in the room before this can happen.

This should help head you in a couple of directions, shout when you need more help.

Remember the important things.....as you turn on your computer. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

AussieMystic
02-16-2004, 10:18 PM
Okay, perhaps if we split the puzzles up into their component parts it may help.

There are two principal puzzles in Voltaic - restoring electric power, and inflating the airship. These are two separate puzzles. It sounds like you are having problems with both of them.

My suggestion: pick just one to work on at a time and ask for hints as you need them.

The airship puzzle is (arguably) less complex. You need to find the lava room, get steam flowing from the lava room to the airship valves, set the valves correctly and deliver steam to the ship.

The electric power puzzle involves connecting the waterwheel to the turbines, starting the waterwheel going, and connecting up the generator circuits in the generator room.

The screen with the green icons represents the state of the electric power supply. It sounds like you are half done with this one so this may be a good one to work first.

Walk through the tunnel in the middle of the water wheel to the round vault-style door on the far side. Can you open the door? If so this will take you to the generator room. You will find a tall cylinder with several windows around it (I think there are six), and six buttons on either side of each window. Look through the window and try to connect the circuits. You will succeed in this puzzle, and restore power, once you have connected all six circuits. However, my suggestion to solve this puzzle is to pick one window and try different combinations of connected circuits until you solve the puzzle (and when you solve it, you will know!)

Atrus101
02-17-2004, 10:50 AM
Voltaic was hard for me too. A peice of advice, Once you get the power and the fan on, make sure the lava room is full of lava. This is required in the next puzzle.

If a man says something, and no women are around to hear it, is he still wrong?

jane_weaver
02-17-2004, 10:40 PM
Those lava and fan controls are tricky! Thanks for encouraging me to stick with it.

RE: The circuits (I think?) in the big round room with one "streetlight" out and symbols over windows on a cylinder in the middle, each with 6 pushbuttons--I am not comprehending what I need to do to complete the circuit (we won't discuss the time I've spent there). Can you see when you've done it right on a given window (based on some criteria), or is it just pure trial and error (or something else)? I have the watergate open so I can go down below and the wheel near the gate is turning, if that helps anyone to help me.

Also, what do you call the thing that shakes the blue tunnel with its movement? (I did say I was mechanically challenged!).

AussieMystic
02-17-2004, 10:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>RE: The circuits (I think?) in the big round room with one "streetlight" out and symbols over windows on a cylinder in the middle, each with 6 pushbuttons--I am not comprehending what I need to do to complete the circuit (we won't discuss the time I've spent there). Can you see when you've done it right on a given window (based on some criteria), or is it just pure trial and error (or something else)?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can see if you are likely to be right, but there is a degree of trial and error involved.

Basically you have to join the top, middle and bottom so that the metal circuits form an unbroken path from top to bottom. You don't just do this in one window - the circuits need to be connected in all six windows. However, the circuits are on three large wheels, so what you do in one window changes all the others.

My view: there is no point looking at more than one window. Just work on that one window and try all combinations you can that join up the circuits in that window. Eventually you will hit the one that works for the other windows too. You will know about it when you do it!

I was very lucky doing this puzzle, as I had just encountered it and pushed a few buttons randomly to see what they did. The puzzle was suddenly solved in about 20 seconds - I didn't even know what I had done!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Also, what do you call the thing that shakes the blue tunnel with its movement? (I did say I was mechanically challenged!).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I call it the water wheel.

PrincessXenobia
02-17-2004, 10:51 PM
When you push a button, a section of metal tabs rotates through the window. A completed circuit requires that each metal tab lines up with another metal tab, and no extras are hanging around not matched up with anything. Some advice -- choose one direction to rotate the tabs in. I just gets you mixed up if you keep going back and forth.

jane_weaver
02-18-2004, 07:18 PM
I have lava flowing, a fan blowing, two elevators working, the watergate open and wheels turning, the round circuit-thing covering all the windows, all but the top icon on the screen glowing, the iris opening and closing, and all the doors I can find except the one next to the J'nanin book opening, and now--I turn the red handles near the color wheel and nothing happens. I've tried closing the watergate, but that didn't help. A subtle hint would be nice. Thanks.

PrincessXenobia
02-18-2004, 07:35 PM
You have steam coming from the pipes with all the red valves? Here's a tip -- any steam coming out of the valves is escaping into the air, not powering anything. Pay close attention to what happens as you turn each valve.

thalasa
02-21-2004, 10:05 PM
well i guess i'm stucked in voltaic too, it seems like most complicated of ages, i've completed edana, also been in amateria and i was completely lost there and decided to concentrate on voltaic
here is the thing: finally got the steam going from lava room but still can conect it to the airship,
on the other side got connected the waterwheel to the turbines, got the waterwheel going,i have two symbols lit up(on the left side)guess they stand for waterwheel+turbine so still have 3 symbols to go if i'm not wrong,
finally i'm endleslly working on the generator which is a complete puzzle to me, i see six doors there each has a small symbol on it which i just can make with those 6 butons, i just can find any logic there!!!!! do i have to try some other combinations to make kind of image or did i miss any walkway?
help!!!!!!!!!
hope somebody is still reading this topic

PrincessXenobia
02-21-2004, 10:12 PM
Thalasa, can you see steam coming out of the pipes? Make sure, otherwise everything you try will be in vain. As for the generator, the things you're seeing through those little windows are circuits. You need to set them up so that the circuit in each window is complete -- each metal tab connected to another metal tab, and no extras. When you've done it, the windows will seal up automatically and you'll be able to see sparks coming from the top of it

jollyjellybelly
02-21-2004, 10:34 PM
with the generator room, just pick a single window, and spin the circuits in a single direction till u get it to work. The idea is to connect the tabs on each of the sliding bars. all the tabs have to be connected. what you do on one window affects the others, so its pointless using more than one window. just fiddle with it till it works.
with the gas, the lava room needs the fan turned on, and the room filled with lava. the fan can be turned on by getting onto the platform in the lava room, and getting it to move up twice. then theres a handle you can turn, which starts the fan. then go to the steering wheels near the airship. here there are three levels. the first is the one you start on. the next level can be reached by pushing the lever next to you forward. the third can be reached the same way when you are on the second level. however, the dial needs to be in the yellow area to reach the second level, and in the red section to reach the third. each level has four wheels. each level changes the pressure, shown on the dial, a different amount. the easiest thing to do is to get them all closed, then figure out which ones you need to open. when you have the dial at the right place. there is another wheel, separate from the others that u need to turn to fill the airship. then just open the gates and hop on http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

thalasa
02-24-2004, 09:20 PM
just the patience and little thinking and when you don't expect there it is, i'm in amateria thanxs to some of your advises,
i'm wondering where would i be without asking for help, good question, probably still in J'nanin lol