PDA

View Full Version : To all of you who hate this game for graphical reasons and gameplay reasons!!!!!!

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 03:35 AM
Here is a is why you should still buy Far Cry.

1. It comes out in March or even later if it gets delayed. Ubi still has time to make changes (btw see my sig no pun intented)

2. Download new drivers. I have an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro and it runs fine. I hear people with the same graphics card and they complain.

3. The AI. DOnt complain about it just because its a little slow. When have you seen AI that good in a game (excluding Halo of course).

4. And if you have an X Box or PS2 or GameCube upgrade your system and buy it for PC. Unless you want crappy resolution and no mods or user created maps then go ahead then. And dont complain about it saying that X Box live makes multiplayer better because it doesnt. PC has headphones too. You can buy a good pair for like $50 bucks canadian.

Thats all i can think of so long.

Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes
(Turn and face the strain)
Ch-ch-Changes
Don't want to be a richer man
Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes
Ch-ch-Changes
Just gonna have to be a different man
Time may change me
But I can't trace time

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 03:35 AM
Here is a is why you should still buy Far Cry.

1. It comes out in March or even later if it gets delayed. Ubi still has time to make changes (btw see my sig no pun intented)

2. Download new drivers. I have an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro and it runs fine. I hear people with the same graphics card and they complain.

3. The AI. DOnt complain about it just because its a little slow. When have you seen AI that good in a game (excluding Halo of course).

4. And if you have an X Box or PS2 or GameCube upgrade your system and buy it for PC. Unless you want crappy resolution and no mods or user created maps then go ahead then. And dont complain about it saying that X Box live makes multiplayer better because it doesnt. PC has headphones too. You can buy a good pair for like $50 bucks canadian.

Thats all i can think of so long.

Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes
Ch-ch-Changes
Don't want to be a richer man
Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes
Ch-ch-Changes
Just gonna have to be a different man
Time may change me
But I can't trace time

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 03:43 AM
"3. The AI. DOnt complain about it just because its a little slow. When have you seen AI that good in a game (excluding Halo of course)."

half life, Splinter cell, UT/UT03, etc..

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 04:02 AM
50 bucks for headphones!?!?!

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 04:31 AM
Half Life is totaly linear and the AI is scripted. It works quite well though.

I don't think you guys understand how hard it is program AI for a game such as Far Cry. Think about. Human behavior is very diverse and complex.

UT AI is also very good. Still the AI don't need to as diverse in a fastpaced FPS.

AI is far from perfect in Far Cry but yet quite impressive.

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 04:47 AM
For me Far Cry is a hard work, good and fresh game, don´t compare the scripted "AI" from call of duty with this demo (perhaps h&d2 try something similar with poor results than far cry) and don´t compare the great scenario from far cry with call of duty, raven shield (why do you need a sniper rifle in this game?)or any other fps game, i´m still impressed with the dimensions (and the water,and vegetation,and view distance,...). This is the way for the future fps and if anybody can´t see that it´s only time. Great demo and great game i hope.

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 04:58 AM
if anyone hates it, they got rocks in their head! lol

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 05:21 AM
man, i truly wish the 64 bit cpus were mainstream with the softeware, man the graphics would kick ***!!!(also would be better if 64 bit was a hell of alot cheaper than right now)

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 05:40 AM
The limitations with AI have more to do with PC hardware than what can be done.

Meaning, programmers could make the AI so damn realistic that it scares the crap out of you in a fire fight and you swear you're fighting real humans... But the PCs that most consumers have -- And I mean the AVERAGE, non-gaming consumer -- Couldn't run it at all due to the processing power.

What makes good AI is its ability to ADAPT to a given situation.

Most AI can NOT adapt as fast as a human which is why it has to be scripted to mimic adaptation.

This leaves only better aim, better sight, better hearing and being able to outnumber you as the only viable alternatives for AI that developers have open to them because of the current hardware limitations consumer PC inherently have in them.

As for good AI in a recent game...

How many of you remember the Counter-Strike Bots that Turtlerock beta tested about six months ago on Steam?

THAT is good AI. Even though CS is five years old, the fact is that AI mimiced what players in that game do and did it so well that people could NOT tell the difference between human players and the bots on some servers because of how they were programmed: Only see what a human can see; no super sight or hearing; normal reaction times to lock onto targets, reload, etc.

If you notice, the big thing that is DIFFERENT in the official CS bot -- Soon to be released as part of Condition Zero -- Is that the developers went for a completely different approach: Adaptation similar to a human player given the rules of that particular game VERSUS the normal approach which is again giving them superior numbers, better hearing and aim and other "cheats" that most (lazy) developers fall back on.

Also, "Full Spectrum Warriors" (XBox and PC) appears like it's going to have fantastic AI that also isn't scripted, but reacts dynamically to the situations it's in -- It ADAPTS -- for both the friendly soliders and enemies.

http://home.attbi.com/~dmoudry/sig.jpg

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 06:04 AM
All I can tell you is ... I've been doing the FPS tango since Castle Wolfenstein... the original one.
( 1992?!?!? I can't remember.)

I've seen the run. Once in a while we get a game that changes the way we percieve what the current standard of FPS's should stand up to.

Well brothers and sisters....

This is the next standard !

When you attempt to take a certain objective 10 different times and you are greeted with 10 different AI responses, you know the designers have done their jobs!

KUDOS to the CRY team. You guys have won the pole posistion and will be remembered for beeting every one else to the punch !