PDA

View Full Version : How to get good at aiming with a controller??

henrikcomn
01-26-2017, 04:53 PM
So I think I will be getting Wildlands on my ps4 pro, but my problem is, when playing a game like Hitman, I suck at aiming :)

Okay, I havent really been practicing that much, but do you have other suggestions??

I am not sure whether to lower or raise the speed of aiming..?

Any tips?

UbiKeeba
01-27-2017, 04:30 PM
Lower the speed until you get your thumbs in sync with each other. Higher speeds make it more difficult to aim, and you'll just mess yourself up while you're trying to learn.

Cortexian
01-28-2017, 09:11 AM
And this is why I use mouse and keyboard haha. :p

If consoles would support mouse/keyboard for gameplay I might actually get them for the same of playing with more of my friends. Unfortunately cramped hands and inaccurate aiming in shooters with a controller keep me away. I just get fed up with my inability to even do half as well as I could with a mouse and keyboard.

HalStep
01-28-2017, 03:37 PM

If consoles would support mouse/keyboard for gameplay I might actually get them for the same of playing with more of my friends. Unfortunately cramped hands and inaccurate aiming in shooters with a controller keep me away. I just get fed up with my inability to even do half as well as I could with a mouse and keyboard.

ah but you can,at least on p3,4 and xb360 (i think it is safe to assume xb1 as well)

you can get something like this that clams to work with any ps3 and 4 game and is officially licensed
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/accessories/tac-pro-for-playstation-4/

there are some games that will support other keyboards and mice but that is up to the developers to include support.

just for the record i'm much more of a pad person so i've never used them to know how good they really are.as for the OP the only real answer is practice unfortunately,i hated the twin sticks on ps1 because i just couldn't get on with them being so used to d-pads on the megadrive/genesis.i forced myself to use them on ps2 but it didn't really click with me until the ps3.

i don't personally change the speed settings on aiming but different people have different tastes.playing some twitch shooters could help speed up your aiming,especially online against other humans because they are much less predictable that AI opponents,that could be more of a "sink or swim" sort of solution though.

UbiKeeba
01-30-2017, 05:15 PM

There is nothing inaccurate about my aiming with a controller ;)

It's just about muscle memory. You have to learn how to get your thumbs to work together, and you can be extremely accurate with a controller. I'm WAY more accurate with a controller than I am a keyboard/mouse.

AOD_JoeDogs
01-30-2017, 07:02 PM
Tru Keeba. I play Xbox Controller elite on PC. I would say I do really well against ***** boys playing with mous ;) 75% i do well. Have to say that Elite controller is ****ing avesom, and i am 52 old. And my reaction is not like I was 20 - 30 years. By a Elite controller!

XBOX Elite controller is compatible with the PS4. So it's just plug and play.

Sierra484
01-31-2017, 03:52 AM
I'm also one of the "heretics" that uses an Xbox Elite controller on my gaming PC. Though I do have an excuse.... motorcycle wreck crushed my right hand so I get these really fun random twitches and that does not translate well on a mouse when your trying to line up the perfect headshot then *bang!* you end up shooting at nothing because your finger twitches and clicks the mouse lol! :p

That and I just really prefer a controller anyways...... ;)

UbiKeeba
01-31-2017, 03:34 PM
I'm also one of the "heretics" that uses an Xbox Elite controller on my gaming PC. Though I do have an excuse.... motorcycle wreck crushed my right hand so I get these really fun random twitches and that does not translate well on a mouse when your trying to line up the perfect headshot then *bang!* you end up shooting at nothing because your finger twitches and clicks the mouse lol! :p

That and I just really prefer a controller anyways...... ;)

UGH! I am so sorry that happened! I'm glad you're ok, though! As much as it made my hand hurt to read your post... a motorcycle crash could have gone MUCH worse than a crushed hand. SO GLAD YOU ARE OK.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/50/37/b5/5037b5d6c2661ade8552747526671ccf.gif

Sierra484
02-03-2017, 11:56 AM
UGH! I am so sorry that happened! I'm glad you're ok, though! As much as it made my hand hurt to read your post... a motorcycle crash could have gone MUCH worse than a crushed hand. SO GLAD YOU ARE OK.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/50/37/b5/5037b5d6c2661ade8552747526671ccf.gif

Thank you :)

Ryukhen
02-03-2017, 03:29 PM
I really dislike controllers in comparison to a good PC mouse/keyboard setup. It's the thumbsticks that are the biggest problem for me, they just feel a bit awkward. What I found that helps a bunch are those thumbstick extenders you can get, they really helped control-wise/aiming for me. I got some from a site called https://www.kontrolfreek.com/ that has a good selection of various colors/themes and thumbstick extender types.

Assassino37
02-10-2017, 07:54 PM
There is nothing inaccurate about my aiming with a controller ;)

It's just about muscle memory. You have to learn how to get your thumbs to work together, and you can be extremely accurate with a controller. I'm WAY more accurate with a controller than I am a keyboard/mouse.

I completely agree here. Once you get used to the controller, down the line it will be good to learn to play with the highest sensitivity you can master. Develop your muscle memory and your focus first before you attempt to do so if you're just starting out. When you finally do try higher sensitivities it WILL take some practice and getting used to but in the end you'll be a much more competitive and lethal player. I used to always have to lower the sensitivity in games back in the day but now I always have to raise it. My reaction time is WAY better than my friends and family however I've always been really good with hand/eye coordination.

Albator_IIII
02-12-2017, 07:54 AM
I cannot play any shooting games with a controller. I really wanted to play Destiny on my PS4 so I got the Xim. Works decent. Definitely better than the controller. It has its limitatons though. It inputs KB+M to the console through a standard controller so it is limited to the normal controller speed.

When the game is a shooter and is available on PC I go that route for sure. I cannot confirm that the Xim would work on the PS4 Pro but I see no reason for it not to.

On another note, I cannot drive/ly using KB+M. That is why I also a wired XBox One controller for my PC. During the closed Beta, I was able to swap in game to the controller when driving/flying.