PDA

View Full Version : Critiques could help Uru Live?

mcnub
11-25-2003, 12:01 AM
Hi!

I'm just about wrapped up with the single player game, and overall I have enjoyed it quite a bit (still waiting for Live however).

Like the majority of players and reviewers that I am aware of, I thought the "physical" puzzles (jumping, kicking objects, etc) didnt really work very well. They certainly don't play to strengths of the engine, and also its just not the TYPE of gameplay that I buy a Myst game for. I'm hoping to not run into many more than I've already encountered, especially in Live.

I would hope, since URU Live is an ongoing development, that the Cyan folks will read these reviews and really take them to heart. Perhaps the new ages will be an opportunity to make more satisfying gameplay. Because ideally we can engage in a dialogue of what is fun, what works, what doesnt.

I wonder if they are reading this stuff and going, "Hmm, Teledahn is pretty popular, lets figure out what makes that age tick and do more like that!" and vice versa with the more, errrrr, troublesome ages.

I'd hope in a year there would be some truly great puzzles out there. Anyway the though of it got me excited!

[This message was edited by mcnub on Mon November 24 2003 at 11:17 PM.]

mcnub
11-25-2003, 12:01 AM
Hi!

I'm just about wrapped up with the single player game, and overall I have enjoyed it quite a bit (still waiting for Live however).

Like the majority of players and reviewers that I am aware of, I thought the "physical" puzzles (jumping, kicking objects, etc) didnt really work very well. They certainly don't play to strengths of the engine, and also its just not the TYPE of gameplay that I buy a Myst game for. I'm hoping to not run into many more than I've already encountered, especially in Live.

I would hope, since URU Live is an ongoing development, that the Cyan folks will read these reviews and really take them to heart. Perhaps the new ages will be an opportunity to make more satisfying gameplay. Because ideally we can engage in a dialogue of what is fun, what works, what doesnt.

I wonder if they are reading this stuff and going, "Hmm, Teledahn is pretty popular, lets figure out what makes that age tick and do more like that!" and vice versa with the more, errrrr, troublesome ages.

I'd hope in a year there would be some truly great puzzles out there. Anyway the though of it got me excited!

[This message was edited by mcnub on Mon November 24 2003 at 11:17 PM.]

traffic_jam
11-26-2003, 06:58 AM
i have to agree with you, while i am still enjoying the game, it isn't quite what i came to love from other myst games. i'm no hard-core gamer, and my hand-eye coordination skills are severely lacking, which i think is one of the reasons i always enjoyed the myst games so much.

right now i'm having a heck of a time in gahresshan (did i spell that right?) trying to jump to that blasted second bridge. although the puzzles have been enough to keep me playing, the jumping and running have been keeping me very frustrated. i hope that in live there is more puzzle solving and less jumping to bridges that keep rotating and teasing me and making me fall off them every darned time! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

i also have to agree that the running and jumping and kicking doesn't suit this type of control very well, at least in my opinion. but maybe that's just because i suck at using them.

jess

HG1973
11-26-2003, 07:21 AM
mcnub, I like your avatar pic.

Homage to the awesome movie The Dark Crystal.

Skeksis I do believe, right?

http://unrealhell.homestead.com/files/uru_hg.jpg

samgdni
11-26-2003, 11:58 PM
agreed. more brain candy and less twitchy mouse fingers

Adamk456
11-27-2003, 12:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by traffic_jam:
right now i'm having a heck of a time in gahresshan (did i spell that right?) trying to jump to that blasted second bridge. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had exactly the same problem! It got to the point where I had to quit playing for awhile and come back to try later. Of course I got on the first try then. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif
Did you try it in third person view? That seems to make it easier.

Kwartha
11-27-2003, 12:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Adamk456:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by traffic_jam:
right now i'm having a heck of a time in gahresshan (did i spell that right?) trying to jump to that blasted second bridge. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had exactly the same problem! It got to the point where I had to quit playing for awhile and come back to try later. Of course I got on the first try then. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif
Did you try it in third person view? That seems to make it easier.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, man! You guys should have seen the beta boards. There was a bug that let you fall right thru the second bridge - even if you landed right on top of it. You would just fall staight through the solid metal. I must have tried that jump more than forty times in a month-long period. Couldn't even get it once until they patched in a later beta release.

You will get it in time. Be glad you weren't in the beta. Bugs like that can quickly drain the fun out of a game, especially when they impede your progress.

Mods, if I've posted anything that shouldn't be said about the beta versions, feel free to edit my post... no harm to Cyan or Ubi intended.