PDA

View Full Version : Myst - Mechanical World/Stoneship World

Elenwyn
02-16-2004, 09:15 PM
Help!!! I am sooooo lost. I found the "secret" places, the papers, the note from, uh, that guy who's name starts with "A" (sorry, I can't spell tonight) and I found the rotator thing. Oh, yeah, I also found the glowy crystals and the strange box down at the foot of the throne. What do I do? I also opened up the stairs down to the gear thing. I have no idea how these things tie together or what in the world to do with them. Any help, nudge, spoiler or complete walk through, is welcome.

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif This is frustrating me so much!!!

[This message was edited by Elenwyn on Thu February 19 2004 at 03:18 PM.]

Elenwyn
02-16-2004, 09:15 PM
Help!!! I am sooooo lost. I found the "secret" places, the papers, the note from, uh, that guy who's name starts with "A" (sorry, I can't spell tonight) and I found the rotator thing. Oh, yeah, I also found the glowy crystals and the strange box down at the foot of the throne. What do I do? I also opened up the stairs down to the gear thing. I have no idea how these things tie together or what in the world to do with them. Any help, nudge, spoiler or complete walk through, is welcome.

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif This is frustrating me so much!!!

[This message was edited by Elenwyn on Thu February 19 2004 at 03:18 PM.]

Homer6
02-16-2004, 10:12 PM
Elenwyn it sounds like your in the Mechanical Age, right? Sort of round structure surrounded with water, with a track surrounding the structure? At the beginning of the walkway, did you notice a control panel with symbols on it? Perhaps you have to find something on the surrounding structures that match those symbols? And the rotator, perhaps it gives off tones to indicate directions--which you might want to remember, and rotate the central structure? Your goal, reach the linking book hidden below the control panel at the beginning of the walkway.

Remember the important things.....as you turn on your computer. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

AussieMystic
02-16-2004, 10:25 PM
Note that all the ages except Selenetic have bedrooms for the brothers, so "World of Two Brothers' Bedrooms" doesn't describe it that well!

However, you should go into the bedrooms and look around until you see a device which is a model of how the central rotating island works. You will see two levers. Experiment with the levers and find out what they do.

Once you have been downstairs and switched power on, look around for a lift to take you to an upper level, where you will find two levers that look surprisingly like the levers on the model...

Over to you.

ritafair
02-17-2004, 07:29 AM
Not everything in Myst "does" something other than add atmosphere. I didn't find a purpose for the "glowy" things you described. There were other such objects in the rooms that were there, I think, to give some idea of what kind of people the two brothers are, but did not relate directly to the clues that you need to figure out the island.

Spoiler follows:

The room at the bottom of the stairs has a lever that rotates the elevator above it so you can get in it. There's a diagram right beside the lever that will tell you when things are in the right place. Go back up the steps. Close the steps. Get on the elevator. There's an up button and a down button...and one in between. Write back and ask for another spoiler if you need it.

Elenwyn
02-17-2004, 06:35 PM
Thank you all so much for your help! I'm sorry about any confusion, I didn't know that every world had bedrooms. This is the first age, other than the beginning age, that I've ever been to. *blushes*

Elenwyn
02-17-2004, 06:56 PM
Unfortunately, ritafair, you guessed right. I *sigh* do need another spoiler. I'm in the elevator, and I can get it to go up and down and in the middle. But there is nothing to do either up or down! *groans* What obvious thing am I missing?

Also, I can't find the symbols that correspond to the little button pad where you "land" in the beginning. I guess I'm just blind fool, but I need help in that area as well. *cries*

PrincessXenobia
02-17-2004, 07:32 PM
Well, the up button makes it go up, and the down button makes it go down, and the middle button makes it go in the middle, but not right away. There's a delay. You are inside an elevator and there's a delay before the door closes. When there's a delay in the action, there's time built into the game for you to do something. What can you do? What are your options (luckily, they're limited http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif)? Get to know this concept well -- it serves you well in the Adventure game genre http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Oh, and about those symbols, don't worry -- you'll come across them in time.

But most importantly -- are you enjoying the game?

ritafair
02-17-2004, 07:39 PM
Spoilers: I'll try and give you a few more spoilers but I'll break them down so if you want to read one and then go back to the game and see where it takes you before reading the next. The next paragraph discusses a bit of what the general goal is for the major part of the game. If you'd rather figure this out for yourself or if you already know it, skip it.

First of all, there are two brothers (you visited their bedrooms on this world). Their message (somewhat garbled) was heard when you activated the blue book and the red book back in the Library on Myst Island. The message is not very clear but something was mentioned about bringing back the "blue pages" or "red pages". You must retrieve some "pages" from each world that you visit--the color depends on which brother you will eventually free.

GEAR WORLD (MECHANICAL WORLD)

1. The pad with the 4 changing symbols will be important later but there are other things you must do first.

2. You already said you had visited the two bedrooms on . Some gadgets are important to the story. Some are there to entertain you or to give some insight into each brother's personality. You need to look more closely in each room because....spoiler follows.....

There is a secret door in each room.

3. Aussie Mystic gave you some important clues. Sounds are quite important to solving puzzles in this world.

4. You said you managed to get on the elevator and that one button went up, one went down, and one stopped midway between but the door didn't open. Here's what you need to think of. Why would the elevator stop half-way down? The door doesn't open. You can't go anywhere. ....Spoiler follows..........

The controls you need are on top of the elevator. If you press the middle button, there is a delay before the elevator shoots down. This is to give you enough time to get out of the elevator before it goes down.

ritafair
02-17-2004, 07:42 PM
I pressed the send button before I was quite finished with the last message but I think I had said most of what I planned to say before letting you explore some more on your own.

I just meant to add that there are a couple of smaller islands that you need to visit in order to gather the information you need but you must figure something out about the area you're in right now before you can get to those places.

ritafair
02-17-2004, 09:07 PM
Sorry. When I re-read your first message, you made it clear that you had already found the secret rooms. The spoiler I gave you about the elevator should get you going again. Put that together with what Aussie Mystic told you. Write again if this is too obscure.

Also, there are some excellent walk-throughs and maps if you look around on the internet if you want some immediate help and can't wait for these hints to unfold.

Elenwyn
02-18-2004, 05:27 PM
Thank you all so much for your're help! You are WONDERFUL!!!! And yes, PrincessX, I am enjoying it, most of the time... *starts fuming about the other age she's lost in* Oh, do you want to know about that? Well, I FINALLY figured out that if you rotate the tower you get clues. *smacks head against keyboard* So I got all the clues and raised the ship. Now I'm stuck not only in the Mechanical Age, but in the wierd ship age too. *sigh* Oh, and I have not a clue what to do with the match. As you can probably tell, puzzle-solving, though enjoyable, does not come easily to me. *cries*

PrincessXenobia
02-18-2004, 06:24 PM
Elenwyn, you're SUPPOSED to get stuck a bit http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif. That shows that they're good puzzles! Just let us know if you're so stuck that you want a nudge and we'll be glad to help! You'll get a LOT of satisfaction from solving stuff on your own, or with only a gentle hint to get you going. Most of the stuff that trips people up isn't about what to do, but how to think about what they're seeing. It's all about your approach!

Elenwyn
02-19-2004, 09:28 AM
Ok, could you just give me a little nudge on the rock-ship world? I stayed up all night trying to figure it out. *blushes* This game is sooo addicting!

I finished the Mechanical Age!!!! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

PrincessXenobia
02-19-2004, 02:11 PM
Sure -- what (specifically) is giving you grief in Stoneship?

Elenwyn
02-19-2004, 04:15 PM
Well, it's just that I'm confused. I looked all the way around in the telescope and saw nothing that seemed to be important. I have no idea what to do with the key that's stuck on the floor and there are no lights in the ship, though by random pressing of the buttons I was able to get inside.

So, uh, how about you tell me, or help me figure out what to do with those button things, unless random pressing as fast as possible is what I'm supposed to be doing...

PrincessXenobia
02-19-2004, 04:39 PM
The three buttons under the umbrella? Push one then tour the area. Push a different one, tour the area again, and see what is different. Same thing with the 3rd.

AussieMystic
02-19-2004, 08:32 PM
Also, the telescope. Look through it again. Is there any one particular point that stands out as you look through it? Note down its bearing.

Elenwyn
02-20-2004, 11:35 AM
Thank you soooo much, everyone!!! I got fed up with it and decided that no matter what I was going to finish it. I finally finished stoneship, selenetic, and channelwood ages. Channelwood took the longest time, but I, sort of, got it. At least, I was able to finish the age, but I'm still not totally sure where everything is.

Actually, I finished the entire game. Which one comes next? Riven or Exile? Also, is that DVD thing good? I have heard some people say 'yes' and some people say 'no.' What do you think and why?

[This message was edited by Elenwyn on Fri February 20 2004 at 10:49 AM.]

PrincessXenobia
02-20-2004, 05:29 PM
Congratulations! Riven comes next. One major advantage to the DVD is that Riven is on 5 CDs and switching them is a bit of a pain. Apparently there is a way to install all of the CDs, but I've never gotten around to figuring it all out, myself. Even so, what's a little CD switching? It just goes to show how lazy I am! Riven is pretty hard. Harder than Myst. But never fear -- we're here to help! ANd it is a spectacular game.

Elenwyn
02-20-2004, 06:30 PM
I can't wait! You all have been absuloutely wonderful! Soon (hopefully) I'll be joining your ranks and helping others. First, though, I want to finish the whole set.

Thank you soooooo much for bearing with me!
~Elenwyn

skylark2025
02-22-2004, 06:25 AM
I was always lost in Channelwood http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

It is what I remember most about Myst http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Well I guess we will be seeing you on the Riven forum http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To the world you may be but one person but to one you may be the world.http://nzwwa.com/mirror/clipart/graphics/animated/icons/aniheart.gif