PDA

View Full Version : Strange lockup

thirdalarm
03-05-2004, 11:27 AM
I am running (trying to run) the PCGAMER version of the Far Cry demo. After I select my options and start the demo, the progress line moves about 1" and stops. I get a "pop" from the sound card (sometimes stuttering), and the system locks up. I have tried disabling EAX, music, etc. Anyone else having this problem or have any suggestions?

I am running a P4 3.06 Pentium 4
Gigabyte GA-8KNXP motherboard
Audigy Platinum EX sound
512x2 PC3200 Kingston RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 XT video
Windows XP
Thanks!

thirdalarm
03-05-2004, 11:27 AM
I am running (trying to run) the PCGAMER version of the Far Cry demo. After I select my options and start the demo, the progress line moves about 1" and stops. I get a "pop" from the sound card (sometimes stuttering), and the system locks up. I have tried disabling EAX, music, etc. Anyone else having this problem or have any suggestions?

I am running a P4 3.06 Pentium 4
Gigabyte GA-8KNXP motherboard
Audigy Platinum EX sound
512x2 PC3200 Kingston RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 XT video
Windows XP
Thanks!

sidshekar
03-05-2004, 05:00 PM
using ati???

I had the same prob...use cats 3.9 and it will work fine. There is still some texture corruption but it really isnt bad atall.

Serandir
03-05-2004, 08:03 PM
I get this *exact* same problem. It seems like most people have a reboot at the end of loading but I also get a system crash and a sound "pop" at the beginning of loading. As of now I can't figure out how to fix it, I'm about to downgrade to cat 3.9 drivers and see if that fixes anything.

LoFidelity
03-05-2004, 09:52 PM
I am having a similar issue with several games.

Farcry locks up the second I loaded it, with either no sound being made, or a small steady tone...a sure sign of a lock-up.

I am running a 3.2 p4, ATI 9800XT, a ABIT mobo, and a Audigy X Gamer 2 card.

All drivers are the most recent.

A problem like this occuring when I play Raven Sheild as well. I think it has something to do with the sound card, because my graphics are running smooth as silk.

I have tried turning various features on and off, but nothing seems to eliminate the issue.

LoFidelity
03-06-2004, 08:53 AM
We are experiencing the dreaded Creative Labs "Squeal of Death"

Do a googl search for it. You'll kick yourself for ever having bought that sound card. Gods knows I am.

MuffinMan-XIV
03-07-2004, 10:08 AM
I dont have that sound card (Abit IS7 onboard sound) and i get that same lockup problem, but i never really noticed any sound popping.