PDA

View Full Version : FPS Controller

cblalock
02-04-2004, 12:13 PM
I picked up this Gamester FPS Master controller about 2 weeks ago and I absolutely love it. Thought I'd pass on the word since I haven't seen many reviews for this product.
It's designed so that you never take your thumbs off the thumbsticks. It looks like 2 9mm pistols connected in the middle. the ABXY buttons are activated using your middle and ring fingers on each hand. For Rainbox Six 3, I have the reload and action buttons programmed for my right hand and the vision modes on my left and find that this works well. It definitely took a little getting used to, but i can't imagine going back now. It runs about $29.99 at any EBgames store or Bestbuy. I highly reccomend it if you play and enjoy FPS.

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/237721.asp

cblalock
02-04-2004, 12:13 PM
I picked up this Gamester FPS Master controller about 2 weeks ago and I absolutely love it. Thought I'd pass on the word since I haven't seen many reviews for this product.
It's designed so that you never take your thumbs off the thumbsticks. It looks like 2 9mm pistols connected in the middle. the ABXY buttons are activated using your middle and ring fingers on each hand. For Rainbox Six 3, I have the reload and action buttons programmed for my right hand and the vision modes on my left and find that this works well. It definitely took a little getting used to, but i can't imagine going back now. It runs about $29.99 at any EBgames store or Bestbuy. I highly reccomend it if you play and enjoy FPS.

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/237721.asp

Mgineer
02-04-2004, 01:07 PM
I've tested that controller, and unfortunately, I had to pass it up. It's an awesome concept that was poorly executed due to poor workmanship, in my opinion. The layout and design of the controller are superb, and that's why I was enticed by it. My problem is that the buttons are flimsy, especially those located on the inside of the grips. They slide around and do not feel firm when you depress them. I prefer a solid controller with solid buttons, especially if they're analog or pressure sensitive. Don't misunderstand, I'm not trying to tell anyone here not to buy it, some people can get used to it I'm sure, but when I look to grab a new controller, if it doesn't feel solid in my hands, and I don't get the impression that quality was a top priority, then I won't give it a chance. It defenitely has it's perks, like sweet design, rubber grips, programmable buttons, etc, but personally, I prefer quality over gimmick. The package it comes it lets you kinda grab the controller in your hands and sample the buttons, so I recommend doing that and see if you could be comfortable with it before you buy it.

GT: Mgineer

SePul-ChAos
02-04-2004, 01:16 PM
Well said, Mgineer. I bought this thing, tried my best to like it, but just couldn't. It is a very good concept, just not solid enough. Now, this is just for me. I have a friend who uses one, and totally loves it, so it's not a total loss on the behalf of the creators. Maybe the next one will be better constructed. As I said, the concept is brilliant, I just wished it had a more solid construction.

XBL Gamertag: ShiftTwitch808

A Vacation Is Something You Take When you Can No Longer Take What you've Been Taking.

Penforhire
02-04-2004, 01:58 PM
I agree with Mgineer. I really wanted to like it but handling one just turned me off. Definitely something to fondle before you buy (don't just mail order it). I'd like to see adjustable joystick tension too...

HybriX_maZ
02-04-2004, 02:07 PM
The only way I would buy a special controller for FPS games is if it wasn't a third party controller. I personally don't care how good it is, if it's not made by the gaming company, microsoft in this case, I'll stay away from it. I've just had bad experiences with third part stuff in the past.

http://www.gamecomplex.com/images/other/sig.jpg (http://www.gamecomplex.com)

Mgineer
02-04-2004, 02:30 PM
I was the same way for a long time, Hybrix, but recently I've tried to reconsider, especially with Logitech entering the console peripheral market. They make solid controllers for PC, and their new wirless controller, although a little beefy (I prefer the Xbox -S controller over the bigger original), is a nice stick. Only reason I haven't picked one up yet is because I've heard that due to the attatched transmitter on the controller, you can't plug in the XBL headset. I haven't seen actual proof of this, and the info was one of those "a friend told him who told me" things, so I'm hoping this is not the case. It'd seem like a very stupid oversight on Logitech's part, and I'd love to test one out, especially with a wireless headset.

TRAmbrose
02-04-2004, 07:23 PM
i use a S-controller, and someone gave me a FPS as a gift, and i find that the (a,x), (b,y) buttons are just too close together, and you often mean to press one, but you press both or the other. that is my biggest complaint, i love the programmable buttons though, i wish they had a S-controller where you can program absolutely every control!

Mr._Pepper
02-04-2004, 08:35 PM
You really think buying a 30 dollar controler to get a split second off of your door opening time is worth it?

HybriX_maZ
02-04-2004, 09:53 PM
Ok here's a better idea. Some games do this, but more should. You should be able to go into the controller settings in the game and basically set each button to be what you want it to be. This worked very well with TimeSplitters 2 if any of you have played this. (I have played it for PS2 and XBOX and both had this feature). Preset control settings are usually fine, but there's always that ONE button that you wish did something else. Also many people have noticed that in multiplayer R63, the white and black buttons have no use. There should be a way to set each button to a use. My personal choice for white and black would be first and second items, grenades, etc. Instead of having to hold X to get a menu. This can still be added and I think it would add a lot to the game. Half the time I think a grenade would be useful I end up not throwing one because I don't want to risk being in the middle of the menu when someone turns the corner. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

http://www.gamecomplex.com/images/other/sig.jpg (http://www.gamecomplex.com)

Mgineer
02-04-2004, 11:27 PM
Agreed Hybrix. I get used to the default setups in most games, but I hate the fact that I *must* get used to a setup which the dev's thought was best. While it may work for most people, alot of people have their own playing style, especially the better players, and it takes next to nothing to have each button customizable. Some games include a few default setups to choose from, and then a custom setup where players can customize the buttons to their own preferences. If it were up to me, every game made would have this feature. As far as R63 is concerned, I'm cool with most of the button setups, but I don't like how the same thumbstick you use to move is also used for crouching. Occasionally, in the heat of a close firefight, I'll put a little too much pressure on the stick and it cuases me to crouch/stand up unintentionally, sometimes throwing off my aim or impairing my ability to dodge. Having the black and white buttons for weapon switches would be sweet too.

Shaggy.Rogers
02-05-2004, 08:50 AM
I bought the FPS controller, hoping that more than anything the stick movement would be smoother. Personally, I feel for games that require fluid movement and accuracy, the S-controller's snap-to-center is a bit much. What I mean is- if I need to move a hair to get someone's forehead in my sights, I don't want it jumping 3 feet past the target. I will say I hated the FPS controller for the first hour or two, but if you stick with it and give it a chance, it's sooooo worth it. I would recommend turning the sensitivity (x,y) down while you're acclimating yourself and work your way back up to your preference. I agree with those who say it does feel a bit cheesy when pressing the buttons, but the smooter movement and more comfortable hand angles are truly worth it. If someone came out with a similar controller with sturdier buttons and I would love to see sensitivity settings on the controller itself, I would buy it in a heartbeat, but until that day may come, I love my FPS controller.

TweakedShow
02-05-2004, 04:39 PM
i dont buy third party stuff either, back in the day when i first got my ps1, i went threw 5 playstations brfore realizing the controller was breaking them (go figure)