PDA

View Full Version : FarCry Via ZoneAlarm (Firewall software)

XyZspineZyX
01-30-2004, 09:52 PM
Anyone know how to get FC to connect to the net via ZoneAlarm (Firewall software). When I use the MP mod that is currently available FarCry locks up and the only way to get a working connection is to disable Zone Alarm. I really dont want to disable ZA whilst online but how do I get FC to accept. Ive tried the usual thing of allowing the FC.exe to be a server, etc via the ZA config panel, but no joy. Im not aware of any other settings. Anyone?, Thanks.

XyZspineZyX
01-30-2004, 09:52 PM
Anyone know how to get FC to connect to the net via ZoneAlarm (Firewall software). When I use the MP mod that is currently available FarCry locks up and the only way to get a working connection is to disable Zone Alarm. I really dont want to disable ZA whilst online but how do I get FC to accept. Ive tried the usual thing of allowing the FC.exe to be a server, etc via the ZA config panel, but no joy. Im not aware of any other settings. Anyone?, Thanks.

XyZspineZyX
01-30-2004, 09:55 PM
All games usually require that you disable your firewall (or open some ports) to ensure it would run properly.

No joy for you coming from me. I use Norton.

"Big O! Showtime!" - Roger Smith, The Big Ohttp://www.zerogamersmedia.com/ka_filmworks/BigOBanner.jpg

XyZspineZyX
01-31-2004, 03:01 AM
i say geta new firewall, for one...

i used ZA fora while and hated it. i use Sygate Personal Firewall now, and havent had probelms with it, and its jstu as free as ZA.

XyZspineZyX
01-31-2004, 04:47 AM
While I'm not using the hacked MP mod, I am a ZAP user. Isn't it giving you a pop up dialog requesting permission for the app to access the internet like it does for every other app that tries to access the internet?

WG

XyZspineZyX
01-31-2004, 06:47 AM
Select Programs on the left menu of Zone Alarm and click the programs tab at the top right. Find Far cry on the list and allow access and server privilages by left clicking.

That ain't too hard!!! Zone Alarm rules!!!!!!!!

ASUS P4P800 DELUXE MOTHERBOARD
P4 3.0C @ 800Mhz FSB CPU
512MB KINGSTON PC3200 400Mhz DUAL-CHANNEL RAM
SEAGATE BARACUDA 120GB SATA HARD DRIVE
SAPPHIRE ATI 9600PRO GRAPHICS CARD

Message Edited on 01/30/0410:48PM by Headstoned

XyZspineZyX
01-31-2004, 08:39 AM
Yeah, ZAP is awesome. Between turning off flash and having ZAP block popups and banners I see practically no ads on webpages.

Love it, love it, love it!

WG

XyZspineZyX
01-31-2004, 10:13 AM
Thanks guys, but all other MP games I play either ask for permissions or I set them manually in the program control options. Ive done this with Far Cry, but it still wont work just hangs up. Anything else I should know or try? Thanks.

I do have a copy of Norton Firewall 2003. Is this any better than Zone Alarm Pro. I have read somewhere that there is a bug in ZAP which can stop correctly configured games accessing the internet/LAN.

XyZspineZyX
01-31-2004, 11:28 AM
I haven't read about that, but you might get a solution over on the Zonelabs forum.

WG