PDA

View Full Version : Opinions based on political leanings??

XyZspineZyX
09-14-2003, 08:06 AM
Ok, I already know people are reading the title and accusing me of "bashing the left" "as usual." But those who are thinking that, well, you're wrong, as usual. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Anyway, one thing that is starting to annoy me, is how groups of people would all believe in whatever the political party they support believe in. I don't really know a great deal about how to explain this, so I'll just give examples:

Person A:
<ul><LI>Is for banning guns
<LI>Supports all gay rights
<LI>Is pro-choice (abortion)
<LI>Supports Affirmative action
<LI>Wants civilian counsel supervising police actions
<LI>Wants country to lean more toward the secular side and less on the religious side
<LI>Wants to downsize the military
<LI>Is against the war in Iraq
[/list]

Person B:
<ul><LI>Is against banning guns
<LI>Doesn't support gay rights
<LI>Is pro-life (abortion)
<LI>Against Affirmative action
<LI>Does not want civilian counsel supervising police actions, more power to police.
<LI>Wants country to lean more toward the religious side and less on the secular side
<LI>Wants to expand or at least maintain the military
<LI>Is for the war in Iraq
[/list]

So many people follow these strict guidelines very exclusively, meaning they are either an A or a B.

Now, why can't we have people who look at every issue independantly, and judge every issue on a case by case basis?

Why couldn't more people be like:
<ul><LI>Is against banning guns, but for license requirement to own a gun, similar to a driver's licence to operate a car.
<LI>Supports some gay rights
<LI>Does not want civilian counsel supervising police actions, but want stricter requirements for training
<LI>Wants country to lean more toward the secular side in public events, but support religious events.
[/list]
??

Not those exact requirements, just an example of how you can mix up the different categories. Just because the polticians split everything down to one side or the other, doesn't mean we all have to do the same thing. Sometimes I wonder if people have opinions, then pick who they want to vote for, or they pick who they want to vote for, and based on him, decide what their opinions are.

<hr>
--"General Hammond, request permission to beat the crap out of this man." -Col. Jack O'Neill -Stargate SG-1
--Capt. Carter: "You think it might be a booby trap?"
Teal'c: "Booby?"
--"I'm a bomb technician, if you see me running, try to catch up" -in Russian on a bomb tech's shirt from "The Sum of All Fears"
--"All my life, I've been waiting for someone and when I find her, she's a fish!" -Tom Hanks "Splash"
--"War is not about who's right, it's about who's left." -Anders Russell

Message Edited on 09/14/0303:07AM by Demon_Mustang

XyZspineZyX
09-14-2003, 08:06 AM
Ok, I already know people are reading the title and accusing me of "bashing the left" "as usual." But those who are thinking that, well, you're wrong, as usual. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Anyway, one thing that is starting to annoy me, is how groups of people would all believe in whatever the political party they support believe in. I don't really know a great deal about how to explain this, so I'll just give examples:

Person A:
<ul><LI>Is for banning guns
<LI>Supports all gay rights
<LI>Supports Affirmative action
<LI>Wants civilian counsel supervising police actions
<LI>Wants country to lean more toward the secular side and less on the religious side
<LI>Wants to downsize the military
<LI>Is against the war in Iraq
[/list]

Person B:
<ul><LI>Is against banning guns
<LI>Doesn't support gay rights
<LI>Is pro-life (abortion)
<LI>Does not want civilian counsel supervising police actions, more power to police.
<LI>Wants country to lean more toward the religious side and less on the secular side
[/list]

So many people follow these strict guidelines very exclusively, meaning they are either an A or a B.

Now, why can't we have people who look at every issue independantly, and judge every issue on a case by case basis?

Why couldn't more people be like:
<ul><LI>Is against banning guns, but for license requirement to own a gun, similar to a driver's licence to operate a car.
<LI>Supports some gay rights
<LI>Does not want civilian counsel supervising police actions, but want stricter requirements for training
<LI>Wants country to lean more toward the secular side in public events, but support religious events.
[/list]
??

Not those exact requirements, just an example of how you can mix up the different categories. Just because the polticians split everything down to one side or the other, doesn't mean we all have to do the same thing. Sometimes I wonder if people have opinions, then pick who they want to vote for, or they pick who they want to vote for, and based on him, decide what their opinions are.

<hr>
--"General Hammond, request permission to beat the crap out of this man." -Col. Jack O'Neill -Stargate SG-1
--"I'm a bomb technician, if you see me running, try to catch up" -in Russian on a bomb tech's shirt from "The Sum of All Fears"
--"All my life, I've been waiting for someone and when I find her, she's a fish!" -Tom Hanks "Splash"

Message Edited on 09/14/0303:07AM by Demon_Mustang

XyZspineZyX
09-14-2003, 08:15 AM
Deem, you are describing a Centrist. I am a centrist. Many people believe that they are a centrist, but when their opinions are analyzed, they see the truth that they are right or (seems more often here in Canada) Left.

To be really genuinely centrist, one must be indifferent about everything. To be realistically centrist, one will agree with policies of both sides--and disagree as well.

http://www.imahosting.com/sigs/farnham2.jpg

XyZspineZyX
09-14-2003, 08:20 AM
Well, I don't mean someone who is indifferent, I like when people have opinions about things, but it's just when all their opinions just so "happens" to be the same opinions their political party happens to fight for. Instead of going, "well, the person I want to vote for believes in abortion, so will I!" I think it's better if they think "well, it is the mother's choice whether or not to abort her child, but maybe there is a moral issue of whether or not the child had a choice..."

I myself is pro-choice, but I'm not a democrat, I didn't come to that conclusion because my favorite political part told me to. I think people should analyze issues on a case by case basis independant of each other, they will get a better understanding of life that way.

<hr>

XyZspineZyX
09-14-2003, 08:31 AM
You and me agree on this one 100%

About the indifferent thing, i was merely saying that to be, technically, a true "Centrist" one must, basically, not have opinions. That is ridiculous, so the next best thing is someone who has opinions agreeing/disagreeing with both sides of the political fence.

XyZspineZyX
09-14-2003, 08:33 AM
Yep, when I really look at it, I think I kind of share 50/50 of the issues between democrats and republicans. However, most of the important ones I agree with the republicans.

<hr>

XyZspineZyX
09-14-2003, 08:35 AM
lol I suppose that depends on what you consider important, though /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

And Deem, why in gods name are we posting at 3:30 AM?

XyZspineZyX
09-14-2003, 08:40 AM
Hm, good point, I am actually waiting for my laundry to be done, got started a little late, dammit, now that you brought that to my attention, I finally notice that the noise of the dryer has finished. Hope it hasn't been too long since I could have been sleeping already...

<hr>

XyZspineZyX
09-14-2003, 08:41 AM
heck, you are at least central time zone. I'm an hour ahead of ya. My eyelids are no longer responding to impulses from my brain...

XyZspineZyX
09-14-2003, 08:44 AM
Nope, EST here.

<hr>

XyZspineZyX
09-14-2003, 05:33 PM
Why do people need to be classified? You can waste your time fitting people into generalizations but in the end it doesn't really go anywhere.

XyZspineZyX
09-15-2003, 11:35 PM
Um..... that isn't what this thread is about cow..... /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

<hr>

XyZspineZyX
09-17-2003, 05:08 AM
Wow, what a coincidence, I emailed a webmaster for this website I was looking at, and she is a very mixed bag on her standings on political issues, mainly why she considers herself an independant. Dammit, I must have forgot about independants! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Just surprised I actually met someone like that right after writing this thread. I guess there has to be more people like them out there, people need to follow their lead, oh wait, that goes against what I'm saying about not following other people... nevermind...

<hr>