PDA

View Full Version : Resizing map dimensions?

Skybox
05-12-2004, 10:26 AM
This is my first attempt at map making (major props to the FarCry Devs for making SandBox so easy to use!). When I launched Sandbox I used the pre-selected size of (as I recall) 1024 x 1024. Unfortunately in relations to the game's actual environment I couldn't tell this was insanely large for a MP map until I placed my first palm tree.

Forgive me if this question has already been answered elsewhere. I'm writing this from work, so you know how that goes. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Is there anyway to increase or decrease the entire map's dimensions, whilst preserving the landscape and terrain?

Skybox
05-12-2004, 10:26 AM
This is my first attempt at map making (major props to the FarCry Devs for making SandBox so easy to use!). When I launched Sandbox I used the pre-selected size of (as I recall) 1024 x 1024. Unfortunately in relations to the game's actual environment I couldn't tell this was insanely large for a MP map until I placed my first palm tree.

Forgive me if this question has already been answered elsewhere. I'm writing this from work, so you know how that goes. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Is there anyway to increase or decrease the entire map's dimensions, whilst preserving the landscape and terrain?

Lo.TekK
05-12-2004, 10:37 AM
The best way to do this (I'm assuming from your post that you haven't placed any objects yet), would be to export the heightmap from the terrain dialogue (export to .RAW if you have photoshop, or .PGM if you have PaintShop Pro), and use your image editing app to resize the heightmap. Create a new map the size you want it, and import the resized heightmap.

NB: Terrain->Resize Terrain doesn't actually work like you would expect it to. It doesn't scale the heightmap, it simply expands the area available (leaving the unused areas flat), or truncates the heightmap. To use a photoshop analogy, it's more like the Resize Canvas command than the Resize Image.

Skybox
05-12-2004, 12:04 PM
PERFECT. That's exactly what I needed. And yes you are right in assuming that I didn't place any objects (save one palm tree... which immediately told me my map is way TOO big).

I spent about a week creating and tweaking my landscape. There's still a lot of the landscape I want to fine-tune. For the most part I'm really happy with it. I didn't want to start over simply because I picked the wrong map dimensions.

[This message was edited by kxmode on Wed May 12 2004 at 12:01 PM.]

Skybox
05-12-2004, 01:01 PM
Question, which dimension is best for MP maps?

Skybox
05-12-2004, 01:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lo.TekK:
Create a new map the size you want it, and import the resized heightmap.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How well does Photoshop preserve the grayscaling?

Lo.TekK
05-12-2004, 01:20 PM
The .RAW export from sandbox is a 16-bit grey native to photoshop, so as long as you save it again as a .RAW, the greys will be preserved.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>which dimension is best for MP maps?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's entirely subjective, and depends on map design/layout, the kind of pacing you envision for the map, etc. Also, note that some of Crytek's MP maps are bigger than they need to be, as far as gameplay, but look very believable because of it.

Teq1
05-12-2004, 03:36 PM
Question is if you really wanna make it smaller...

I recall seeing someone posting (sorry forgot who or where) that a drawback of small maps is that the terrain mesh get very fine grain, with the poly count increasing, and thus put more strain on your graphics card.

This may be another reason crytek kept their MP maps large.

This is just off the top of my head, maybe someone remember the thread this was in?

Lo.TekK
05-12-2004, 06:38 PM
The density of the terrain mesh is entirely independent of heightmap size, and is a factor of the scale (the meters per pixel setting on initial creation). In other words, the mesh for a 256x256x4m map will be less dense than a 1024x1024x1m one, even though they're both the same size, geographically.