PDA

View Full Version : Crash in Amateria, same spot

XyZspineZyX
09-09-2003, 08:30 AM
Hello everyone !

Please someone help me with this:

I encountered a bug in Amateria; it's right near the elevator, when i make a step forward to the tunnel leading to the painting on the wall, the game crash to the desktop.

I saw that other people had encountered this bug too. However, if I look up and make the step forward, everything is ok and I can pass. The problem appear only when I look forward...

Maybe is a corrupted file? Someone know what file is involved is the specified area ?

Thanks

My specs (even if I'm sure is not a hardware/driver problem)

1200MHz AMD Athlon
PC133 256Mb memory
Geforce2 Ti 64Mb
Transcend VIA KT133A
Win 98 SE

XyZspineZyX
09-09-2003, 08:30 AM
Hello everyone !

Please someone help me with this:

I encountered a bug in Amateria; it's right near the elevator, when i make a step forward to the tunnel leading to the painting on the wall, the game crash to the desktop.

I saw that other people had encountered this bug too. However, if I look up and make the step forward, everything is ok and I can pass. The problem appear only when I look forward...

Maybe is a corrupted file? Someone know what file is involved is the specified area ?

Thanks

My specs (even if I'm sure is not a hardware/driver problem)

1200MHz AMD Athlon
PC133 256Mb memory
Geforce2 Ti 64Mb
Transcend VIA KT133A
Win 98 SE

XyZspineZyX
09-09-2003, 01:40 PM
It could be a dirty CD. Try cleaning the data side of the CD with isopropyl alcohol. Use a cotton swab and lightly wipe from center to the outside rim. This is to wipe away any dust, finger prints, haze, etc., the might be causing the laser reader problems.

Rookie_72 wrote:
- Hello everyone !
-
- Please someone help me with this:
-
- I encountered a bug in Amateria; it's right near the
- elevator, when i make a step forward to the tunnel
- leading to the painting on the wall, the game crash
- to the desktop.
-
- I saw that other people had encountered this bug
- too. However, if I look up and make the step
- forward, everything is ok and I can pass. The
- problem appear only when I look forward...
-
- Maybe is a corrupted file? Someone know what file is
- involved is the specified area ?
-
- Thanks
-
-
- My specs (even if I'm sure is not a hardware/driver
- problem)
-
- 1200MHz AMD Athlon
- PC133 256Mb memory
- Geforce2 Ti 64Mb
- Transcend VIA KT133A
- Win 98 SE
-
-

XyZspineZyX
09-09-2003, 02:55 PM
Well, my CD's are spotless /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif but thanks for reply.

As I said, this bug did happen to other people - on this board or on myst.community, i don't remember - so is a little too much to be a coincidence, no ?

XyZspineZyX
09-09-2003, 06:19 PM
EDIT:

I replayed in the wrong area so will go replay in Amateria and post back later.****

I'm back. I replayed the tunnels near the elevator going both toward and away from the mural. There was no failure if I looked up or down or sideways.

If it was a code problem I would expect everyone to have the failure. Even though your CD's look spotless there could be a thin film on them that can cause problems. Also, since the MystIII development is long over I doubt if any more code changes will be coming. IMHO.

Rookie_72 wrote:
- Well, my CD's are spotless but thanks for reply.
-
-
- As I said, this bug did happen to other people - on
- this board or on myst.community, i don't remember -
- so is a little too much to be a coincidence, no ?
-
-

Message Edited on 09/09/0302:00PM by BobF

XyZspineZyX
09-10-2003, 03:47 AM
Rookie72,

You cannot see the vinyl solvent film that is on some disks. It is evaporated onto the disks from the plastic package and seems to happen more with copies of the game that have been stored for a long time. To the eye the disk looks clean, but to the laser in the CD-ROM drive which operates at a single wavelength, the reflected energy from the disk may be attenuated by the film. It would be a good zero cost thing to try; this problem never occurred on my copy. It may not be your problem, but isopropyl alcohol will not damage the disk although it will remove any film that is there.

---- Bill
"Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering." - Yod***

XyZspineZyX
09-10-2003, 07:41 AM
Ok... Let solve this puzzle, shall we http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ?

1. First thing when I searched for "crash in amateria" on google was this:

http://www.mystcommunity.com/forum/topic.cgi?forum=13&topic=56&replies=4

(hope that link is working). Same bug, same age, same spot.

2. to wstrohm: my work is in IT field and oh my, dirty/scratched/smashed cd's were my favorites. Especially since my 3'cd from The Longest Journey bit the dust http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif. Anyhow, I will give it a try, and after that I will copy again the file to hdd (again). Thanks

3. Oh, I forgot to say that I ... err... modify my exe to play without any cd in cd-rom drive. I think is my right to use the cd-rom without ejecting CD1 10 times per day.

4. And bob, yes, i think you're right, there will be no modification to Myst 3. I was hoping that someone will tell me: ok, the file is this, is 30 megs, i'll sent it to your email. Someone did this with a 200 Mb files, you know http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

fidel_ml
01-21-2004, 08:00 AM
Hey, Rookie!
I have exactly the same problem (although I have not tested yet looking up to pass...). And I also have messed with my exe to play without any cd... (using the patches found in the Web).
I don't think dirty CDs are the explanation (I also work on the IT field). but I tried anyway... and it doesn't work either.
Still trying.
Thanks for the help to everyone!!
FF