PDA

View Full Version : Aiming stationary objects.

_Bootlegger_
02-28-2004, 08:37 AM
My IL-2 handbook says that if you place a stationary object that has weapons in a map that the object will take an active part in military operations.

I have done this in a map that I am working on but during test runs these objects don't shoot at me.

I discovered that by zooming in on the object and hitting by "back" key an overlay comes up comprised of red, green and blue arrows and arcs.

I can only assume that this is for aiming the weapon.

Could someone please enlighten me on how to use this aiming grid.

Thanks in advance for any assistance rendered.

24 beers in a case.
24 hours in a day.
Coincidence...I think not !!!

_Bootlegger_
02-28-2004, 08:37 AM
My IL-2 handbook says that if you place a stationary object that has weapons in a map that the object will take an active part in military operations.

I have done this in a map that I am working on but during test runs these objects don't shoot at me.

I discovered that by zooming in on the object and hitting by "back" key an overlay comes up comprised of red, green and blue arrows and arcs.

I can only assume that this is for aiming the weapon.

Could someone please enlighten me on how to use this aiming grid.

Thanks in advance for any assistance rendered.

24 beers in a case.
24 hours in a day.
Coincidence...I think not !!!

Aviar
02-28-2004, 01:20 PM
Nothing in the Stationary Objects category has an 'AI'...thus they will not shoot at anything or respawn when destroyed.

If you want AA guns that shoot at the enemy, you need to use objects from either 'Artillery' or 'Stationary Armor'. Also, the firing arc on some vehicle guns is limited. For instance, the Sd.Kfz.251 will only fire at an enemy that is generally low and in front of it.

Here is a list of units that will shoot at enemy aircraft:

RED Artillery
-------------
25mm AA - High ROF, lower altitude automatic cannon.
85mm AA - Low ROF, high altitude flak gun.
BA-64 - Vehicle with medium ROF machine-gun.
M16 - Vehicle with high ROF automatic guns (4)
M16 US - (Same as M16)

BLUE Artillery
--------------
20mm AA - High ROF, lower altitude automatic cannon.
88mm AA - Low ROF, high altitude flak gun.
Opel Blitz Maultier AA - AAA vehicle with 20mm automatic cannon.
Sd.Kfz.251 - Vehicle with with low ROF machine-gun.
Nimrod - AAA vehicle with 40mm automatic cannon.
Wirbelwind - AAA vehicle with 20mm automatic guns (4).

RED Stationary Armor
--------------------
T-40S - Light tank with low ROF machine gun.
T-60 - Light tank with low ROF machine gun.
ZSU-37 - AAA vehicle with 37mm automatic cannon.

BLUE Stationary Armor
--------------------
Pz.IIF - Light tank with low ROF machine gun.

The tanks I listed above will shoot at enemy planes with their secondary machine-guns. Be aware that all or most tanks with 'AI' will also shoot at planes with their MAIN guns, but their hit ratio is almost zero, so I don't count them as 'AA' units.

Some things to think about when creating missions\maps:

-AA guns with a high ROF and dedicated AA vehicles will have a greater impact on frame rates when they are placed in the same area.

-The wirbelwind is easily the best AA unit but will also impact your frame rate more than any other gun. More than one in an area is probably overkill. (Personally, I almost never use them, except maybe in a co-op mission,)

-If you are interested in making a RED\BLUE Dogfight map with fairly even AA units, here are some suggestions listing units that match up pretty close to each other:

25mm AA (RED)
20mm AA (Blue)

85mm AA (RED)
88mm AA (BLUE)

BA-64 (RED)
Sd.Kfz.251 (BLUE)

M16\M16 US (RED)
Opel Blitz Maultier AA (BLUE)

ZSU-37 (RED)
Nimrod (BLUE)

T-40S + T-60 (RED)
Pz.IIF (BLUE)

As usual, some of the above are simply my opinions\impressions, so comments are always welcome (as long as they are friendly).

Happy Flying!

Aviar

AMD XP 2600+
EPoX EP-8K9AI Mobo
1536Mb DDR PC 2100 RAM
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
SoundBlaster Audigy 2
Klipsch 5.1 THX Certified Speakers
CH FighterStick USB
CH Pro Throttle USB
CH Pro Pedals USB
Thrustmaster Tacticalboard

RxMan
02-28-2004, 01:31 PM
Excellent as usual Aviar.
Must also consider the aiming of units without turrents. These must be pointed in the general direction of expected action. You do this by using the keypad numbers when the item is highlighted. Hit 8 to point the object East, then the 1,4,7 and 3,6,9 to turn the item, zoom in close and you will see it turn. 1 & 3 largest turns, 7 & 9 smallest. Once you have done this you can place identical units and they will face same direction.

Aviar
02-28-2004, 05:11 PM
Very true, RxMan. If you're trying to simulate a ground battle, the unit needs to be generally facing the target. They also need to be within firing distance.

If you're having a problem determining the facing of the object, select it and then hit 'Enter'. This will take you into a close-up 3D view. You can then use your mouse to zoom in even closer.

Aviar

--------------------------
AMD XP 2600+
EPoX EP-8K9AI Mobo
1536Mb DDR PC 2100 RAM
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
SoundBlaster Audigy 2
Klipsch 5.1 THX Certified Speakers
CH FighterStick USB
CH Pro Throttle USB
CH Pro Pedals USB
Thrustmaster Tacticalboard
--------------------------

BM357_Troll
03-11-2004, 12:25 AM
Good list Aviar, I am constantly on the look out for this kind of data. What I didn't know about these objects was the elevation of their fire and the fact that they used machine guns on me as I flew by. That might explain some of those unexpected deaths I have accumulated. lol