PDA

View Full Version : Graphic quality (possible newb question)

crsgardner
07-17-2004, 04:21 PM
I recently put together a fairly highend rig:

nVidia 6800GT
A64 3200+
1 GB Corsair RAM
2x74 GB 10,000 RPM RAID

FarCry came with the card. Within the game it seems to look great (setting completely maxed out), but the opening title screen looks absolutely hideous. I mean it looked extremely pixelated, the draw distance appeared bad, etc. It looked bad enough that I initially wondered if I set something wrong.

Question: does the opening island flyby run at a different resolution/settings than the rest of the game? Or is my game just fubared and I need to reinstall? (The only reason I ask this is because, if the title screen is screwed up, who knows what else is).

crsgardner
07-17-2004, 04:21 PM
I recently put together a fairly highend rig:

nVidia 6800GT
A64 3200+
1 GB Corsair RAM
2x74 GB 10,000 RPM RAID

FarCry came with the card. Within the game it seems to look great (setting completely maxed out), but the opening title screen looks absolutely hideous. I mean it looked extremely pixelated, the draw distance appeared bad, etc. It looked bad enough that I initially wondered if I set something wrong.

Question: does the opening island flyby run at a different resolution/settings than the rest of the game? Or is my game just fubared and I need to reinstall? (The only reason I ask this is because, if the title screen is screwed up, who knows what else is).

Razorman01
07-17-2004, 04:23 PM
Answer: Yes it runs ugly compared to ingame

XP2500Mobile @ 2.562GHZ (12.5x205)
Asetek Waterchill Water Cooled CPU
Asus A7N8X-E NF2 Deluxe Mobo
Radeon 9800 Pro @425 & 760mhz
1GB Samsung DDR 400 Ram Dual Channel
Twin Seagate 80Gb Hdd
Audigy 2 Sound & Klipsch 5.1
DVDRW
CDRW
XP Pro SP1

Wiebelwie
07-17-2004, 04:24 PM
you mean in the menu? that is just a movie... check ingame... should be worth your while, i'm going for a GeFX6800 soon so... this shouldn't be a problem at all...

Greetz,

Wiebelwie
Ps.: It was indeed a newb question, n/p

Patience is a virtue...
But even then it'll run out

securityplease
07-17-2004, 04:24 PM
It's obviously like that so PCs that aren't as powerful as yours obviously is, can have over 5fps in it!

njcl
07-17-2004, 04:31 PM
indeed the fly by movie {the fort mission i believe} is pixelated to hell,hey just play the game and look on in awe........ http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/35.gif

http://www.freewebs.com/njcl/fop.JPG
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>MAY THIS REVIEWER be chastised by the lord...
"There's a good, maybe outstanding, game lurking under all the frustration. Good luck getting at it." -far cry 70%..Computer Gaming World.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

crsgardner
07-17-2004, 05:40 PM
That's amusing, because that's the first thing most people see (the draw screen). Well, anyway, in game looks great.

drkow19
07-18-2004, 01:11 AM
yeah just to confirm, that's a pre-pixelated movie and has nothing to do with your video-card except the obvious.

CountZer07
07-18-2004, 03:07 AM
This is almost as n00by as:

"OMFG D00DS! I JUST FOUND THE HALF LIFE 2 BETA! AND IT'S ONLY 12K!"

newbielives
07-18-2004, 03:51 AM
Sounds like someone showing off.

If he can put together that computer and not know that the intro screen is playing a movie, you got to be a total idiot.

VR6_
07-18-2004, 03:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CountZer07:
This is almost as n00by as:

"OMFG D00DS! I JUST FOUND THE HALF LIFE 2 BETA! AND IT'S ONLY 12K!"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol!

they would have toned down the detail for the flyby menu screens as it would have prolonged the initial loading time (especially for people with with low end hardware) and maybe even spoiled the initial impact of the amazing graphics in-game.

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Barton
Gigabyte GA-7N400Pro2
Radeon 9800pro 128mb
1024mb pc2700 DDR
Seagate Barracuda 60gb

All standard mhz.

crsgardner
07-18-2004, 06:40 AM
"If he can put together that computer and not know that the intro screen is playing a movie, you got to be a total idiot."

Nah, not really. I just thought that considering they called it a "demo", it would be in-engine (perhaps the loop would be good for benchmarking). It didn't occur to me that they would use a movie for the title screen.

crsgardner
07-18-2004, 06:42 AM
"they would have toned down the detail for the flyby menu screens as it would have prolonged the initial loading time (especially for people with with low end hardware) and maybe even spoiled the initial impact of the amazing graphics in-game."

See, well, that's the thing. The opening is usually called a draw screen. It's what you draw people to when you run the game at stores. That's why so many games go into a demo if you leave them running for a while.

In this case, in game looks a lot better than the draw screen, which is really unusual. Usually it looks the same or better than the game.