PDA

View Full Version : Network gaming question

XyZspineZyX
07-15-2003, 01:13 AM
Hello,

I'm probably gonna buy RS3, as I loved RS2 and RS1 a great deal.

Anyway, I wanna know if my group of friends and I could play off of 1 cd (the one I would buy), in LAN gaming. We live in Africa and it's very hard to get games here, I can but my friends don't have a way to.

Thank you.

XyZspineZyX
07-15-2003, 01:13 AM
Hello,

I'm probably gonna buy RS3, as I loved RS2 and RS1 a great deal.

Anyway, I wanna know if my group of friends and I could play off of 1 cd (the one I would buy), in LAN gaming. We live in Africa and it's very hard to get games here, I can but my friends don't have a way to.

Thank you.

XyZspineZyX
07-15-2003, 03:06 AM
I doubt it. I'm not 100 percent certain on this, but I don't think you can even play ONE game using a CD without having a connection to the internet. I tried running a simple MP game with just one player plus bots because MP mode seems to be a bit more arcadish and at the time I wanted that. But I didn't have a net connection at the time and it didn't let me play at all, because it wanted to verify the CD key.

If it won't let you play one game like that, I doubt it'd let you play several.

This also means that it would appear that all LAN parties using the game would have to have internet access on the LAN in order to play the game at all. Despite the commonality of broadband access today, I still find it a bit hard to believe that they expect ALL lan gamers to have broadband access.

XyZspineZyX
07-15-2003, 03:15 AM
You should be able to launch the game using the original disk on each station, and then join a multiplayer LAN hosted game.

I have read some things posted about patches screwing this up, or it not working in the first place. Unfortunately, I can't recall having tried it or if I did what the results were. I'll give it a shot at work tomorrow and see what happens, then let you know.

<TABLE ALIGN=LEFT BORDER=0 CELLPADDING=5 CELLSPACING=5 RULES=NONE COLS=2 WIDTH=80%>
<TR><TD>http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jakal30/nightsig.gif </TD>
<TD><font color=white size=-2>"...the Goddess could not spend all Her time persuading the
Kings and Queens of the world of the idiocy of war. Therefore
She invented tacticians..." - Diane Duane</font></TD></TR>
</TABLE>

XyZspineZyX
07-16-2003, 09:43 PM
Don't mean to bug u... but u tried it yet?

XyZspineZyX
07-16-2003, 09:49 PM
I had to purchase two copies of the game. It's worth the extra expense. I did get my second copy off of Ebay so it's not that bad.

The expansions will cost me double everytime. lol

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 01:42 AM
I tried it this evening. And what I found... annoyed me. As soon as you attempt to eject the disc, it errors and says please insert disc 2, retry or cancel. Choose cancel and you get an error that says you must have disc 2 in the drive to play.

A search of the tech forum turned up nothing (which is not to say it isn't there, just that the search feature sucks).

I saw one post indicating that according to the software license, you need one copy of the game per computer. Well since none of the Tom Clancy games have ever bothered to included a copy of the license you can view other than at the time of install, I can't check that at the moment.

Pretty frickin annoying. I'll make a few inquiries and see what I can come up with.

<TABLE ALIGN=LEFT BORDER=0 CELLPADDING=5 CELLSPACING=5 RULES=NONE COLS=2 WIDTH=80%>
<TD><font color=white size=-2>"...the Goddess could not spend all Her time persuading the
</TABLE>

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 01:51 AM
Forget ,b>ALL[/b] the answers above.......the simple fact is that is is one cd per machine...............standard End User Licence Argeement fair /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif ...........so no...you cannot lan with just one copy of the cd...you would need to buy a copy for each machine.

aka [UKSA]Keyser_Soze
http://mysite.freeserve.com/TerrorStruckRvs/assets/images/lineup.gif

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist..."

XyZspineZyX
07-18-2003, 02:19 AM
Markpelley wrote:
- Forget ,b>ALL[/b] the answers above.......the simple
- fact is that is is one cd per
- machine...............standard End User Licence
- Argeement fair

On the contrary, there's nothing standard about it. Most non-game applications allow two installations, as long as only one is in use at a given time. They don't require cds in the drive either. As for games, it's all over the board. Ghost Recon worked as the original poster wanted it to - one CD, run a LAN server with as many guys as you want. I would have expected this game to be the same, but as I said before, I can't check the EULA without reinstalling, or at least starting to, and I'm not interested in doing that right now. I can't remember for sure, but I believe the older Rainbow games were like that as well. Some games allow limited level access if using the same disc for a LAN (ie, Diablo). Some didn't even need the disc to start the game at all (rare).

</TABLE>

XyZspineZyX
07-18-2003, 06:11 PM
actually (and I worked for years in a law office & had to go over this time & time again)...you can install the software on as many machines as you like

BUT!!

you can only PLAY it on one of them at a time

(this can be explained as having Word on your PC at home & Word on your PC at your small biz, its perfectly legal as long as BOTH arent running at the same time)

so can you LAN with 1 copy? NO NO NO NO NO, not legally there is NO way, its NOT legal and if you use one of the 8 or 10 ways around doing it, you are in violation & UBI could (mind you I'm not saying they will) ban your CD key making the one legal copy a pretty coaster

some game companies remove part of this restriction later in life I'm told...once they have gone out of "current"

bluntly, if you want to play 4 ppl on a LAN? buy 4 copies

http://members.cox.net/battleratt/GrimJack.jpg

XyZspineZyX
07-18-2003, 10:16 PM
Ok, I've had enough of this.

From the Ghost Recon EULA, first section:

"1. Grant of License. LICENSOR grants to you the limited right to use one (1) copy of the enclosed or foregoing game program (the "Software"). For purposes of this section, "use" means loading the Software into RAM, as well as installation on a hard disk or other storage device. Red Storm Entertainment grants a specific exemption to allow the customer to play multiplayer games on a home LAN without purchasing multiple copies of the product. This should not be construed to grant any additional rights, or waive any other rights that UbiSoft and Red Storm Entertainment possesses, except as otherwise set forth in this license."

This specifically states that you cannot even install the game on multiple machines, regardless of how many copies are running at any given time. A specific exemption is given to allow the playing of multiplayer games on a LAN, allowing the installation of multiple copies, and the running of said copies at the same time, for this purpose and this purpose only.

BTW, later sections of this EULA talk about commercial use. I've never rented a professional server, so I don't know how they work, but if you don't buy your own copy and send to the company for them to install, or they don't sell you a copy of the software (a retail one, as it were, which you would get the cds to in the event that you stopped using their hosting service), then they are violating the EULA as I read it. Just a bit of trivia.

Now, the Raven Shield EULA, on the other hand, makes *NO* mention of the number of allowed installations. I say again, NONE. There are only three things that come even close. One section specifically prohibits making copies. Another section prohibits transmitting [game title] over networks or phone lines unless during multiplayer games or on authorized networks. And the final section is a very broad sweeping line that says to use it only as the manual states/allows.

Nowhere does it state you can't install it on multiple machines. Nowhere does it state you can't run multiple copies at the same time for a LAN game (granted, without hacking the software, this initially seems to be prohibited - I say initially because I thought I remembered that being a bug and they were going to fix it in a patch. I fully acknowledge that I could be and am probably wrong).

I would also like to point out that the EULA is poorly written - it contradicts itself and makes it a violation to use included software. The former being it says the agreement is non-transferable (no exceptions noted, including later sections), and then later says you can transfer it if the other party agrees. The latter being that it appears to be against the EULA to make any kind of mod, be it map or mission, let alone distribute it. Effectively rendering the editor useless.

The moral of the story is that it is *completely* dependant on the EULA on an individual piece of software as to how you may or may not use it. Some generalities can be made, but there are very very very few absolutes (one of which is you never actually buy the software, just the right to use it).

Now, back to the original poster's question, since the EULA doesn't prohibit it, and I can't find any references anywhere else, I plan to make inquiries to Ubi. And I really wish game companies would start getting a little more explicit about questions like this in their manuals (and not just the EULAs). Seems like a common enough question.

</TABLE>