PDA

View Full Version : MULTIPLAYER PETITION - Crytek

GazzaBinks
03-31-2004, 07:30 AM

GazzaBinks
03-31-2004, 07:30 AM

aus_air
03-31-2004, 07:38 AM
It has been posted before, but i will just recap. Implementing physics does not necessarily mean more bandwidth. If all the physics calculations are done client side it will have little to no effect on bandwidth. But yes for sure put physics in multiplayer! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

x.TheCounter.x
03-31-2004, 08:55 AM
If you want to include object physics for mp, do it yourself! You have all the lua scripts in the scripts.pak (FCData directory), you have to include server/client functions only.

http://www.ofp-center.com/banner.jpg

MarcoC_._Crytek
03-31-2004, 09:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GazzaBinks:
A small petition for crytek. Can you please add support for a muliplayer advanced.

Multiplayer advanced = multiplayer + physics (broadband connection only)

Doom 3 has multiplayer physics (4/8 people only), can something simular not be added for us broadband gamers?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

no need for a petition, FC does have multiplayer physics (think about dead bodies and vehicles). However if you are talking about things like boxes etc. that you can shoot and/or push around, well here it follows a good exercise for a MOD.

Open the script basicentity.lua, you will find this line:

self:NetPresent(nil);

change it to

self:NetPresent(1);

Now drop in a map a physicalized box or something else (read the manual to learn how to do that).
Play it multiplayer and you should have your physics objects online (remember to distribute the modified script in the MOD). However we didnt't have time to test it 100% , plus indeed it does consume more bandwidth (but less than vehicles). So don't go crazy by placing an insane amount of rigid bodies in a map,unless you got an insanely fast connection...

MarcoC_._Crytek
03-31-2004, 09:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by x.TheCounter.x:
If you want to include object physics for mp, do it yourself! You have all the lua scripts in the scripts.pak (FCData directory), you have to include server/client functions only.

http://www.ofp-center.com/banner.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed, if one wants to create more complex custom entities or modify existing ones, the way to go is to add server/client functions in the lau scripts as mentioned by x.TheCounter.x.

GazzaBinks
03-31-2004, 10:21 AM
MarcoC thankyou very much for the reply.

I think I love this engine/editor more than myself.

[This message was edited by GazzaBinks on Wed March 31 2004 at 09:29 AM.]

GazzaBinks
03-31-2004, 02:20 PM
Another quick concerning your answer.

Is there a feature we can turn on, so we can see how much bandwith our physics are using?

AceflierR
04-01-2004, 07:32 PM
is that the scripts.pak or the scripts1.pak we need to edit crytek? I did the scripts.pak and made the mod and loaded the mod but i still can't move boxes ill try the scripts1.pak maybe?

http://aceflier.home.mchsi.com/rise_above_the_rest2.gif

aus_air
04-01-2004, 07:52 PM
I altered the script in script.pak loaded up the mod but the barrels i put in only react to gunfire and not from the player walking into them. So i unloaded the mod and tried it again to see what happens and there is no change!?! Correct me if im wrong here but i thought barrels didnt have physics in multiplay. BTW i was a client, i wasnt hosting.
Any ideas?

AceflierR
04-01-2004, 08:05 PM
same thing I'm seeing aus_air also i cant move the boxes either and i was the host. Need crytek to fill us in on this one. BTW it did this same behavior with the original script.pak you could shoot them but not push them.
Another thing i have read around the forum about co-op with single player missions so i tried it. The other people say the client could not see the AI but it would track the client. Our experience is quite different (maybe the patch?) but we both see the AI and can kill them as well as be killed. Weird now if i could only push barrels (Including chainswing with a barrel on it in the demo mission) id be loving this game all the more. Anyone who can contribute to this plz help us http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by AceflierR on Thu April 01 2004 at 07:19 PM.]

p_panther
04-01-2004, 08:23 PM
As was mentioned by some other people the main key to making objects physics replicated to clients in multiplayer lays in the *.lua scripts which govern the properties of a specific object. (To have a look at these scripts within the sandbox editor click 'modify script' (or a button something along those lines) in your rolldown menu whilst you have an object selected).

Most of the objects in multiplayer were designed without this ability because of bandwidth requirements. Not only this, but adding the ability to kick boxes around doesn't (at least not in the official maps) affect gameplay dramatically...

HOWEVER, physics traps (such as rolling barrels down hills at other players) is a lot of fun when implemented in our own maps. So in order to do this you need to alter the .lua files for each of the objects that you want to 'physicalise'. In doing this, keep in mind that SOME objects are just sub-catagoreys/classes of other objects... So if you alter - say - the entire box class, all of these boxes will inherit these changes unless explicitly defined otherwise.

To make these objects 'physicalised' you should compare and contrast the object you want to 'physicalise' with one that already has physical properties in the game (such as the vehicles). Somebody has already mentioned that changing self.netpresent from nil to 1 can achieve this, but id imagine there are other properties contained within the lua scripts which could further modify this. (This is the same principle with Co-Op AI.

Another thought on the subject though, some objects in the game seem to have dynamic properties in the game (that is, they are physical) but don't appear to be net-synced (such as the fish swimming around in the ocean). This assumption may be incorrect - but if this is the case then try checking out the lua scripts for some of these BOIDS as there may be a way to include objects that have physical properties into a multiplayer game without it consuming network bandwidth. (Problem with this would be that the objects would not by synced so you would only used this with things that dont matter.)

Alpharaptor64
04-01-2004, 09:06 PM
Couldn't the physics all be calculated localy? I mean lets say you hit a box, shouldn't that box react the EXACT same way on all computers? The same equation should be calculated. So the only msg that needs to be sent through the line would be "how" that box was hit. Putting in all the factores of, speed, where it was hit, turrain, etc.

aus_air
04-01-2004, 09:09 PM
thanks for the insight p_panther...ill go and investigate further http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

thedudemanguy
04-01-2004, 09:31 PM
another thing to remember about physics, is yes, a lot of it is clientside, but that just means graphics lag if you overdo rather then network lag... if your computer is calculating 50 physics objects people are messing with around a level... slideshow... i think we can get a fun amount of physics in just fine though... and don't forget cool destroyables... just set their corpse time to a few seconds and I bet you could put all sorts of destroyables

aus_air
04-01-2004, 10:31 PM
if u want to add other entities other than basic ones u will have to change each entities script. eg the chainswing you would have to go to the chainswing script and change self:NetPresent(nil); to self:NetPresent(1);
but i still cannot understand why the enitites in multiplayer react only to gunfire (not player collision) with or without altering the scripts.

Someone out there must know :S

AceflierR
04-02-2004, 10:35 AM
you have to make the changes in the editor itself as well as in the basic entity list If i make the changes to the script and open a map the objects still say net(nil) change them to net(1) then try it out i havent had time to test this yet but will in the near future.

http://aceflier.home.mchsi.com/rise_above_the_rest2.gif

ChrisAuty
04-03-2004, 02:44 PM
The problem with multiplayer physics is that for all users to experience it consistantly (such as a box being moved around the level) the clients must all recieve the data with the objects position. This isn't impossible, but it's VERY bandwidth intensive.

FarCry mp already has some client side physics effects that do not need to be sync'd to other clients (such as ragdoll).

superior_no.1
04-03-2004, 09:48 PM
Hi

I dont know if anyone has played the map mp_jungletears but when you are not the host you do not get the rain effects or the sound effects.

What would this be caused from??

If anyone wants to play it its in http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=452106891&m=998107413 .

geno_604
04-03-2004, 10:16 PM
Ive hosted a 5v5 on jungle tears.. and everything worked fine for me.. a very fun map.

Ithink its time for peeps to get off 56k.. sheesh.

Van B.C. the place to be!

I am 89% addicted to Counterstrike. &lt;a href="http://seanism.com/addiction/cs.php"&gt;What about you?&lt;/a&gt;

superior_no.1
04-03-2004, 11:04 PM
OK. Thanx for the reply but if you read my post properly it stated "when you are not the host" and I do have broadband and when I host it everything is fine too. Its just when you are the client it stuffs up.

superior_no.1
04-03-2004, 11:05 PM
OK. Thanx for the reply but if you read my post properly it stated "when you are not the host" and I do have broadband and when I host it everything is fine too. Its just when you are the client it stuffs up.

Shaitan.
04-03-2004, 11:06 PM
JungleTears was ok for the most part. But, the bird cries were looped very close together in nonstop form, they just seemed to keep cawing all the time. Maybe triggers could be setup here and there to trigger a cry now and then when someone passed by the trigger?

And the rain sounds seemed tightly looped as well. Possibly a lighter rain mist might be less irritating on the ears?

And the cliffs on the perimeter were not textured. Just my oppinion of course. No offence meant.

yorik.mulder
04-12-2004, 04:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aus_air:

but i still cannot understand why the enitites in multiplayer react only to gunfire (not player collision) with or without altering the scripts. ////and cars have not glass and explode effects.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Same problem than me. I've changed the netpresent value everywhere in the game. No effect. Maybe something, somewhere in the game stop the "netpresent turn to 1" effect? Cry_band, we need assistance.

yorik.mulder
04-14-2004, 01:10 PM
huhu ?

mr.amphibian
04-23-2004, 10:26 AM
i dont really think too much physics in mp would work.. think about the spawning places of weapons... you push one of those boxes which spawns wepaons/ ammo and then they spawn in the air/ on the ground/ over where the box now is?

max... dearest of all my friends!

MammerJammer
04-29-2004, 04:08 AM
I was experimenting with the MP Physics, and my results were different than nearly every case I've heard described here.

First, I didn't need to change the Self:netpresent value from (nil) to (1) in order for the barrels to react to a vehicle collision. The physicalized object being inserted into the map alone simply "worked."

Second, although the barrels would scatter on vehicle collision, I was having client sync issues. The person helping me test the physics consistently reported the barrels to be in a different location than what I was seeing on my client. This condition was persistent whether or not I made the self:netpresent script value changes.

It seems to me that MP Physics are being explained as a feature to be activated by a simple parameter change. My question then is, is anyone else experiencing these sync problems? Has anyone, besides me, been able to get the objects to respond to collision? Are there any definitive answers, beyond speculation, about the client/server interaction with MP physics enabled?

[This message was edited by MammerJammer on Thu April 29 2004 at 03:21 AM.]

MammerJammer
04-30-2004, 01:17 AM
No answers... hmmm. I hope that's not a bad sign. To the casual passer-by, it would seem that no one KNOWS the answer.. lol

GazzaBinks
04-30-2004, 06:25 AM
Have not worked it out yet either.

chromecast
06-07-2004, 10:36 PM
bump

excuse my ignorance, but if i create a mod to enable physacalized objects, is there any way to have another mod running too, like the realistic mod? or do i have to combine the scripts as one mod?
even more, is it possible to look past the mod idea and include this 'script' in the map distribution somehow?

ThreeUp
06-08-2004, 12:21 AM
Is there a simple way to physicalize the client player? I have experimented with grenades and their explosion impulse. It only affects the player who is the server. Everyone else is stationary when an impulse grenade goes off.

-3up TAW
http://sheridan.yi.org/3up/3upbanner.jpg

yorik.mulder
06-08-2004, 08:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mr.amphibian:
i dont really think too much physics in mp would work.. think about the spawning places of weapons... you push one of those boxes which spawns wepaons/ ammo and then they spawn in the air/ on the ground/ over where the box now is?

mr.amphibian<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your weapon simply fall on the ground thx to the physics. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Ragdolls effect are physics effects in farcry, so physics works in MP. And, I hope we can learn more about physics, when the SDK come out on mid-june.

Submiqent
06-09-2004, 09:54 AM
You people are wiierd :P. How much physcics do u want!?!? Ragdoll is m ore than enough. Look at CS-Source, and see how much physics they have (its at the very end of the 2004 e3 hl2 demo). Besides it would only be good for lans.

yorik.mulder
06-09-2004, 11:32 AM
Bon ├ęcoute bien...
Ragdolls is not enough for me, I want glass, I want physics door, and I want barrels. Just an option to activate or not all the physics. And I really want to know how to do that. I will try more after my exams session, and with the help of the sdk.

chromecast
06-09-2004, 11:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Submiqent:
You people are wiierd :P. How much physcics do u want!?!? Ragdoll is m ore than enough. Look at CS-Source, and see how much physics they have (its at the very end of the 2004 e3 hl2 demo). Besides it would only be good for lans.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

people have their own reasons for wanting more out of their loved game. for me, there is an entire new world of possibilities when I add physicalized objects to my map. and yes i will be playing over lan. I would say no one is wierd here for wanting this implemented easily, if u dont like it, dont use it. to each there own right?

Submiqent
06-10-2004, 01:06 AM
There was going to be more to that post, but i had to cut it short, it would of included at least one "imo", I can understand y people could want it, but I dont think thats enough incentive to create it. just my $0.02.

Yavimaya666
08-01-2004, 06:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MammerJammer:
I was experimenting with the MP Physics, and my results were different than nearly every case I've heard described here.

First, I didn't need to change the Self:netpresent value from (nil) to (1) in order for the barrels to react to a vehicle collision. The physicalized object being inserted into the map alone simply "worked."

Second, although the barrels would scatter on vehicle collision, I was having client sync issues. The person helping me test the physics consistently reported the barrels to be in a different location than what I was seeing on my client. This condition was persistent whether or not I made the self:netpresent script value changes.

It seems to me that MP Physics are being explained as a feature to be activated by a simple parameter change. My question then is, is anyone else experiencing these sync problems? Has anyone, besides me, been able to get the objects to respond to collision? Are there any definitive answers, beyond speculation, about the client/server interaction with MP physics enabled?

[This message was edited by MammerJammer on Thu April 29 2004 at 03:21 AM.]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sorry for the late post.
But i just searched the forums, im having this exact problem and i think it needs bumping.
Anyone worked anything out yet?

TheSeaDemon
08-02-2004, 06:05 AM
i havent read much of this thread but i think physics in mp would bee cool, the problem as i see it is the random factor. If the scripts can be changes so that any random values are calculated on the server then sent to clients, each client should have the same result. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Just brain storming for http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Andrew

http://members.iinet.net.au/~staylor55/public_html/sig.gif
Check it out! (http://www.planetbattlefield.com/bf2029/hydroracers)