PDA

View Full Version : Could anyone explain how to open ports??

Cyber-Snake-
03-26-2004, 04:50 PM
Hi i'm one of the people who has been having problems with the multiplayer demo and I've heard that you need to open ports 8888 and 45001. I have windows XP and I know how to get to the nextwork connections and firewall settings. From there can someone explain how to open the ports? Thanks much

Cyber-Snake-
03-26-2004, 04:50 PM
Hi i'm one of the people who has been having problems with the multiplayer demo and I've heard that you need to open ports 8888 and 45001. I have windows XP and I know how to get to the nextwork connections and firewall settings. From there can someone explain how to open the ports? Thanks much

Bahger.P.
03-26-2004, 06:26 PM
Do you have a firewall? If so, which?

http://www3.telus.net/ice51/taipans/tpn_bahger.jpg

Cyber-Snake-
03-26-2004, 06:48 PM
I'm not sure what kind of firewall, but I do have one.

Polykarbon
03-26-2004, 06:51 PM
am I the only one...who even with a firewall turned off and DMZ turned on...get session unavailable EVERY...SINGLE...TIME.

I am entirely sure this is sloppy coding as instead of something on my client side.

Bahger.P.
03-26-2004, 07:32 PM
This morning I spoke to Ubi tech support (nice guy) who recommended I contact my ISP which in turn handed me off to McAfee.

The Ubi guy told me the ports listed below have to be open and the McAfee guy talked me though it. It's nothing to do with your ISP. In McAfee there is a system settings menu that allows you to open individual ports, both in and out (that's important) and each opened port has to have an application title. I used "Pandora Tomorrow" 01 through 09.

The ports are (TCP):

40,000 to 43,000

It all seems to work for me now where last night I CTD-ed every time I tried to join a game.

Good luck.

http://www3.telus.net/ice51/taipans/tpn_bahger.jpg

Polykarbon
03-26-2004, 07:51 PM
yes but enabling DMZ essentially opens all ports for gaming.

I still say its UBI's problem for people having "session unavailable" almost every single time.

chkelly
03-26-2004, 08:12 PM
I have a netgear router and thought i figured out how to open the ports..so when i have them opened via the router, and i check them online, it says they are closed, but when i undo the port forwarding, it says they are stealth. WTF?!?

I have symantic antivirus corporate, could that be it?

XyZspineZyX
03-26-2004, 08:21 PM
You will probably find more help in the community help forum.

<center>
http://home.insightbb.com/~jbullock/new.jpg
<font color=#0000CC> <center>
Splinter Cell/Pandora Tomorrow,and RVS/RS Moderator
</font color>

http://www.pcgamessource.com
</center>

NoodlyGod
03-26-2004, 08:24 PM
Before I begin I'll start by saying I've pretty much done every possible port combination I could think of and while I no longer crash to the desktop I also haven't been able to play. Well, I got in one game today and I've tried for about 10-15 minutes roughly once an hour for the last 5 hours.

A lot of people seem to be confused on just what a firewall is. Basically the average joe has to worry about 3 different "firewalls". First, theres the software firewall that people like norton, mcafee or Zonealarm sell. Second theres another software firewall that's built into Windows XP. This firewall doesn't have port configurations but it can still cause lots of problems if it's turned on. The third kind of firewall is the kind that's built into a router. Configuring each of these is going to be slightly different but here's the gist:

Software firewall: (like norton/mcafee/zonealarm etc)

Right click on your firewall icon in the system tray.
Go to properties

Somewhere in there you'll probably see a "application preference" tab or something similar. Basically you're looking for a configuration page that allows you to input the various applications you have on your system (in this case Splinter Cell PT) and which ports they require. Like the guy above me says, all you have to do is enter a title for the exception and then enter in the ports. It should be as simple as that.

Disabling windows XP default firewall:
right click "my network places" go to properties
right click "local area connection" go to properties
look for the "advanced" tab
uncheck "protect my pc blah blah blah" if it's checked
click ok or apply and try the game again.

Router ports: (I'm going to copy and paste this from another post I made.)

Open up your browser and type in http:// followed by your routers ip address. (typically 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1)

It's going to ask for a name/password. If you or noone else on the network has ever changed it it's probably going to be one of the following:

Name/Pass
admin (blank)
admin admin
(blank) (blank)
admin 1234

If none of those work you'll have to hunt down the manual for your router.

Alright now you're going to look for an advanced button or tab or link. Once you find it you'll want to look for "applications" In the case of my router I just have to put in the "application name" the port numbers, the protocol and when I want these ports to be open. So it's much like the software firewall. However with the router you've also got some other options. In my case one of them is "virtual server"

Under virtual server on my router I can specify a port(s) and a name just like the applications section but I also have to specify what my ip address is. Anything (in my case) that I apply here is also automatically applied to the "firewall" section of my routers config system. Another note about this before you start playing with things: I put all the ports listed above in all three of these sections, I also changed the protocols etc. I really tried everything I could think of and it didn't make a lick of a difference.

So, I really don't think these ports are the problem. I think we need another patch if we want to play this game but for those of you who really want to bother theres how. Good luck!

chkelly
03-26-2004, 08:51 PM
i cant believe i have wasted my whole day getting this F'in demo to work. what a waste