PDA

View Full Version : CheeseMaster9K@Ubi.com: No one to play?

Effenberg0x0
07-01-2004, 08:36 PM
Hi guys, here's my story: I saw a mpeg of Chessmaster 9K on the net and I loved it, the idea of using it to play with other people on the net, anytime, 24/7, made me *have to* buy it.

So, I hushed to the PC and installed it.It has been about 4 hours since I first joined CMLive and there's exactly 0 (zero) people available for chess. How come? There are hundreds of people online at ubi.com playing other games but no one to play chess? Is it always like this? Or it some problem with the chess server? Maybe today is some kind of global religious weekend that I am not aware off? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I would also like to know if it is possible to connect with CM9K to some other server, not ubi.com then. And if so, which are the good servers, where I could find some people willing to learn and have some fun?

Thank you,
Effenberg

Effenberg0x0
07-01-2004, 08:36 PM
Hi guys, here's my story: I saw a mpeg of Chessmaster 9K on the net and I loved it, the idea of using it to play with other people on the net, anytime, 24/7, made me *have to* buy it.

So, I hushed to the PC and installed it.It has been about 4 hours since I first joined CMLive and there's exactly 0 (zero) people available for chess. How come? There are hundreds of people online at ubi.com playing other games but no one to play chess? Is it always like this? Or it some problem with the chess server? Maybe today is some kind of global religious weekend that I am not aware off? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I would also like to know if it is possible to connect with CM9K to some other server, not ubi.com then. And if so, which are the good servers, where I could find some people willing to learn and have some fun?

Thank you,
Effenberg

ForrestG4
07-02-2004, 01:53 AM
Welcome onboard pal, as everyone knows, everyone but u, the online play has always been CM weakness till now...(we all hope).
Theoriyically the next version of the game, out in a month or so, will change this... "issue".
So no wonder that u find none to play with, and the answer is NO, u can't connect to other servers.

Zoblio
07-02-2004, 03:26 AM
Try the Chessmaster10 Demo - there are usualy people there you can play with.

Effenberg0x0
07-02-2004, 05:54 AM
Thank you for your replies.

I had no idea the OnLine feature of ChessMaster was that weak. Honestly, not to be an *** or something, but what the game box and every web site that sells CM states, I thought it was the opposite. The idea that this is the best Chess software around and that it had thousands of people playing it online was sort of implied.

Anyway, I believe they will work it out: If they develop a quick, intuitive and small system, with no banners, no spam, etc, people will come.

Also because, if they don't, IMHO it's just a matter of time before someone works out a way to connect CM to other game servers. I thought about that yesterday. It would take some debugging, network logging, etc, but it's probably totally doable. If I wasn't so tired, I would investigate on that hehehe http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Would be the hell of a SourceForge project.

Of course that would most likely be illegal, because CM is not OpenSoftware. But if in the future Ubi fails on doing it by themselves, they should release a CM SDK or something and allow people to develop for it. After all, the bigger the buzz around CM, bigger sales they will get...

I guess I'll keep on playing the game AI personalities for a while, I have a lot to learn before playing real people anyway.

Effenberg

florinsanda
07-02-2004, 04:03 PM
Chesmater 10th Edition's online module is very strong. There are some problems now with connecting to people behind a symmetric NAT but everything will be ok soon.

florinsanda
07-02-2004, 04:07 PM
and there's always someone there to play withhttp://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Effenberg0x0
07-02-2004, 04:38 PM
I just bought CM9K and I am planning on using it for a year or more before buying CM10th. Legal software (not to mention the new releases) is *very* expensive in the third world http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Well, I have some more doubts, maybe someone can answer this questions:

(1) I have not downloaded CM10th, but from what people are saying, if I understood it right, it has a exclusive online gaming server? Once you connect there you only see CM10th users?

(2) Why would they do it? That makes no sense. Imagine if "ICQ Version y" was a totally separated network from "ICQ Version y+1". I've never seen any company develop in such a way. Unless this is an alpha/beta stage situation, before the full implementation of the new system?

(3) If this really is temporary, at some point CM9K users will have the option of connecting to this new service and playing CM10th users? This has to happen at some point, even if the programs are a little different, protocol compatibility is not a problem to implement.

(4) If this "isolation" of CM9K server from CM10th network is not temporary, is it an strategy to force people to buy an upgrade? If so, it would not be a smart/decent move. CM9K users have no responsability on the insuccess of it's online gaming system, at least I don't have any part on that. Yet, I paid for a software that claimed I would be able to play thousands of people online.

(5) In CM10th, did they at least cared enough to pay the ChessMaster a decent haircut? The guy totally needs it.

Thanks,
Effenberg

PS: I'm trying to use Winboard and freechess.org... The GUI sux, it lacks lots of features, etc. But still they are free stuff with lots of players online. I feel stupid for buying CM9K...

ForrestG4
07-02-2004, 04:53 PM
lol +++ very nicz move dude, the hair cut thing rocks, it's by far the best suggestion in this forum. I'm dead laughing ! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Grim_O
07-02-2004, 05:57 PM
To your questions:

(1) Yes, if you can call them that. The game hasn't been released yet so they are all just Chessmaster 10th Edition users on borrowed time.

(2) Would do what? release a demo or allow only 10th edition players?
Allowing a demo is, to me, the smartest move they have made so far. For their own economical aspect but also for the players who will know a lot more about the product that they buy.
If it's about only allowing 10th edition players then I also think it's an economical reason. If they allowed CM 9000 players to play on the 10th edition server then I would've stayed with my 9000 edition. I think that the part that sells this product is the new online fature and if players would have access to it with their old 9000 edition Ubisoft wouldn't earn any money.

(3) No, htis should not be allowed in my opinion. Chessmaster 9000 users has the option to upgrade to Chessmaster 10th edition if they want to for a smaller fee.
Should a new player who doesn't own any chessmaster games be forced to spend $ 39 on the 10th edition to play online. While the old veteran who owns various Chessmaster titles, including 9000 get online play on the 10th edition for free when it's him who doesn't even have the 10th edition at all. This just seems stupid to me.

(4) I think it is a very smart move by Ubisoft. And yes the 9000 version does say that you can play online with other players at ubi.com. And you can, but it isn't Ubisofts fault that no people want to play there. It had players playing when it was a new game, but it's old and the community have given up on it. That's just the way it is. No gaming company can keep supporting a game forever. In my opinion the Chessmaster 9000 has been decleared dead.

(5) Yeah lol http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I think he is forgotten by now. Other than the title of the game and the icon of his personality there's no more Gandalf the grey in the game.

EDIT: Typo (damn I'm bad at speling)

Effenberg0x0
07-02-2004, 10:17 PM
Hi Grim_o http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

At (2) I was talking about allowing CM9K players to use the new server. I obviously agree that releasing a demo is really great.
You see, I tend to agree with you: Why would people upgrade to CM10th if they could access the server using CM9K? They wouldn't, and so, Ubi would not earn money.

But, from what I know, and please remember I'm new in your community, the new server will not be free. Check out http://chessmaster10.ubi.com/us/demo.php .

"Try the single-player demo
for 8 hours of free play. Play
online for free until August 10th."

I may be wrong here, but I think the access to the server will be paid from August on. Even by CM10th users, at least in the way I interpreted. Well, if CM10th users will pay to use the servers, wouldn't Ubi be smarter if they also allow CM9K to pay for this service? That's what I am asking myself:

(a) Suppose they limit access to the server only for CM10th users. Doing so they expect people to buy a CM upgrade. But people who own CM9K seem to be a little disapointed about the online experience they had (like me). Will they be willing to try this new version, pay for it, and then pay again to access the server? Do all CM9K users are also interested in all the new features and improvements CM10th brings? Are they willing to pay for it?

(b) Suppose they do not limit the access for CM9K users. Now the access to the new server is disconnected from the purchase of the new version (and so the whole thing gets cheaper), wouldn't it be more likely they will have more users willing to pay for the online service? And this paid online servers generaly charge by periods (months, a year access, etc). They would be receiving money every month, not just on the momment of the purchase of the new version. Yes, they could opt to get money in both situation by demanding the purchase of the new version and the mensal fee for the access to the server. However, at least at a first moment, woudn't it be better to ease the charge on CM9K users, as a way to convince (addict) them to the new service?

IMHO, it would be a waste of an established CM user base not to allow CM9K users on the new system. And a waste of money too.

On (3) I could also agree with you: It would be unfair that while some would pay to have the new version and use it's capabilities, others would spend $0 and have access to it's most important feature. However, again, if the access will not be free, the more people they let in, more money they get. And, I think letting CM9K users pay to have access to the server would not be unfair, since they will be paying *only* for the use of the server, while CM10th users paid for (I hope) a version with less bugs, faster, with a stronger engine, a better interface, better XP compatibility, improved 3D stuff, sounds, new tutorials, books, etc.

Until now, I haven't used 10% of all this features in CM9K and so I don't feel like I need more right now. Yet, I am willing to pay to use the server if it's possible.

About (4), well.. Let's agree to disagree on that http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I respect your point of view thou. However, I would like to point out that in my country, with it's 170.000.000 (estimated, last census was at 1998) inhabitants, CM9K is still in the stores at every corner, every mall, lanhouses also. Like me, I think people will believe what they read in the box when they buy it, and latter get very disapointed. People should be able to have access to what they bought. I understand when you say that it wasn't Ubi's fault, and that a company can't support a software forever, however, if they're developing a system to improve the server, and they will not allow access to CM9K users, it would be fair to remove CM9K from all stores then, or warn buyers somehow. I bring to your attention that when we're talking about the software market outside US/Europe, things are way slow. W95 still has MS support, XP was released with about a year of delay. This delay in software releases has little to none explanation, given, for example, that we are one of the 10th biggest market for software around the globe. But that's the way it is, and a cmpany that releases it's products worldwide has to plan for that. It's not the buyers fault.

Maybe we could agree on this: People that are running CM9K are lacking all the improvements in the software that I have listed somewhere above. People who buy CM10th are definetely putting their hands on a better piece of software, that's what they are paying for. No matter what CM9K users do, they will never be able to have all this cool CM10th features on their CM9K. unless they pay for the upgrade, and that's a fact. However, the new server will be a paid service. Ubi needs to get as many people as they can on this new server. So, why not allow the access? And if the access is allowed, then I think (IMHO again) it would be a mistake to now allow CM10th users to play CM9K users. In order for the service to achieve success, they have to make things less complicated as possible and everyone has to be there, happily playing their asses off :P

About (5), I never got the thing about the ChessMaster, I mean, look at Kasparov, Karpov and others. Do any of them have like a fur-head (don't know if that exists in english hehehe). I think maybe they thought of that typical stereotype of the "genious" that doesn't care for his look, like Einstein, something like this... But hey, some more versions of ChessMaster and we would not be able to see the CM face, he wouldn't be able to breath. It's a good thing they let the old guy have some dignity, for God sake :P

One thing to note is that I'm basing 100% of my argument in that information, from chessmaster website, about the service being paid. If that's not acurate thou, I am wrong in about all my points of view. And then I can only expect to be flamed like hell http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

That's it, sorry for the typos, at this point you are all aware that english is not my primary language, but I hope a reasonable part of what I wrote is understandable http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks,
Effenberg

florinsanda
07-03-2004, 03:34 AM
First of all, there will be no online fee. You'll be online with the demo version till August 10th. After that you'll have to buy the Chessmaster 10th Edition copy in order to play online. Again, there will NOT be any extra fee for playing online.

Second of all, you can't play with CM9000 on the same server as Chessmater 10th Edition due to technical issues. Their online modules are not even remotely similar.

florinsanda
07-03-2004, 04:06 AM
here are 2 quotes to back this up:

from the demo's splah screen:
"-unlimited online play on the Ubi.com servers - without subscriptions or fees of any kind"

from cmx.ubi.com, the online database site:
"You have joined Chessmaster's Demo server, where you can play chess online for free until August 10th, 2004. After this deadline, all the players will be transferrred onto the official servers. To keep playing, just buy the game - no monthly fees, no add-ons, no pay-per-play. All you need to play chess online is to register your Chessmaster 10th Edition copy."

Grim_O
07-03-2004, 05:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Not true. It was their fault. Without telling anybody they changed the software. Sudenly people who installed ubi.com from CD couldn't play. And they didn't even know why all of the sudden they can't play anymore. To play you had to uninstall ubi.com which you installed from the CD and install the new one from the net(it was free), but most people didn't know that. So they stopped playing.There should be instructions what to do when you were trying to connect with old ubi.com, but there weren't any. All you got was "client unable to connect" and that's all. And so the online play died. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I am aware of that ebutaljib, I was there before and after. And IMO the community that existed prior to that ubi.com upgrade was very small. You could count them on one hand. Yes the ubi.com update killed the community totally. But to me it was already dead when the number of people fell to under 20 on weekends.

Grim_O
07-03-2004, 06:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> About (5), I never got the thing about the ChessMaster, I mean, look at Kasparov, Karpov and others. Do any of them have like a fur-head (don't know if that exists in english hehehe). I think maybe they thought of that typical stereotype of the "genious" that doesn't care for his look, like Einstein, something like this... But hey, some more versions of ChessMaster and we would not be able to see the CM face, he wouldn't be able to breath. It's a good thing they let the old guy have some dignity, for God sake :P
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
As we all know, or should know, the Chessmaster is designed either from Gandalf the grey from LOTR. Or, which seems more likely from GM Artur Yusupov.
http://www.worldopen.com/photo/yusupov.jpg

Effenberg0x0
07-03-2004, 07:01 AM
Florisanda =&gt; OIC... I misinterpreted it then. My bad.
As for making CM9K compatible with the new system, it would take an update to it that just won't happen, right? Let me guess: PC-CM10th cannot play against PS2 users too, can they?

ebutaljib=&gt; Yea I know man, I can't believe I bought it :| As I said in my previous post, I'm sort of happy with it: I'm far from using all of it's features, etc. But I really wanted to use it to play people online. There are lots of tutorials and books about chess around, a lot of free stuff I can read on the net... I would promptly exchange all this builtin features of CM9K for online playing at the new server http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Grim_O =&gt; "As we all know, or should know [...]"
I'm a lame newb at this, I did not knew that http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Feature request for CM11th =&gt; Online integration: Being able to put PC-CM, PS2-CM, "whateverplatform-CM" users on the same server, allowing them to play each other.

Effenberg

ForrestG4
07-03-2004, 02:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Feature request for CM11th =&gt; Online integration: Being able to put PC-CM, PS2-CM, "whateverplatform-CM" users on the same server, allowing them to play each other.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I definitly agree, and can't found one single reason for it not being that way. Making every platforme able to play on the same server will definitly give a huge boost to the online module of the serie.