PDA

View Full Version : Bought DVD version today in a store, cannot play!

Dr_Peedee
02-27-2016, 02:47 PM
Hi,
I bought the physical DVD version of this game today, legally from a well known store in Norway today, Platekompaniet. There was no warning on the shelf where they had put the covers, there were no warning on the cover itself. And knowing my friends had played this on PS4 for some days already I had no knowledge that it wouldn't play on my PC when I got home.

When I put in the disc, the first thing I had to do was to enter the activation code from inside the cover, then wait for the two discs to install about 13Gb's or so. And THEN when I finnally expected to play the came it came up that the game wasn't released yet! How could I know this?There is nothing on the cover itself stating that you need an internet connection or need to activate it online. And certainly no release date stated. The activation code is now connected to my U Play account, so I guess the store won't take the game back.

Yes, of course, I can wait some days. But... I don't have that much time to play. It's just the weekends that I can do this mostly. Also, it feels unfair. If I knew about this "problem" I would have checked online first if there were some restrictions. But like I said, no date was printed on the cover, no requirement for online activation after a certain date and so on...

I send a mail to Ubisoft support complaining, hoping they would come up with a solution, with pictures of my receipt from the store, but I got an automatic reply saying that they will answer in a couple of days during mondays to fridays...

Viragoxv535
02-27-2016, 03:22 PM
Hi Dr_Peedee,

it should be specified on the box that you need an online activation to play the game. If that is not specified and you have no way to connect to the internet then you may be granted a refund from the retailer.

Dr_Peedee
02-27-2016, 03:38 PM
Hi Dr_Peedee,

it should be specified on the box that you need an online activation to play the game. If that is not specified and you have no way to connect to the internet then you may be granted a refund from the retailer.

It is not specified that it is needed. And there is no release date written on cover either. I do have internet connection of course. So that is not problem. :)
The shop close in about two hours - and I can't make it there in time, I opens on monday - which won't help me much. (Everything's pretty much closed on sundays in Norway). I wanted something new to play this weekend.

Viragoxv535
02-27-2016, 05:33 PM
I thought that your issue was the online activation. The release date for PC has always been March.

UbiBooma
02-27-2016, 11:13 PM
Release date for Far Cry Primal on PC is March 1.

Dr_Peedee
02-28-2016, 10:35 AM
Release date for Far Cry Primal on PC is March 1.

But how could I know this? It was available in the store. This is a well known store for movies, music and games in Norway. They had put a lot of copies of the game in the store for people to pick up. So, it was released that day. As long as there is no release date stated anywhere in the store, and no warning on the cover about internet connection was needed or that it would not work until a specific day... how could I as a customer know this?

I know internet activation is needed for some games. But I didn't think this game needed that. It should have been written on system requirments or any place else on the cover. And having internet in my home I never guessed that it would still cause a problem since it was released in a well known store, Platekompaniet. And my friends have been playing it for days on PS4.

I'm a casual gamer and I don't go around with the knowledge of specific release dates for all games that I might pick up in the future. I do most of my gaming on PS4, but I saw a video of the beautiful graphics on PC for this game, and that day I made a sudden decision to pick up the PC version of the game since had time to play this weekend. I don't spend that much time on gaming sites, or read that much about games to know that a game company decides to have different release dates for different gaming plattforms.

I understand now that I won't be able to play the game on PC until March 1. But, again - there was no information available to me as a customer in that store or on the game cover that day to let me know the game wouldn't work after I bought it. But, I give up. :)

Jumpy-BL
02-28-2016, 05:01 PM
It would behoove you to direct your frustration to the store from which you bought the game, rather than here.

Kleppes
02-28-2016, 09:10 PM
But how could I know this? It was available in the store. This is a well known store for movies, music and games in Norway. They had put a lot of copies of the game in the store for people to pick up. So, it was released that day. As long as there is no release date stated anywhere in the store, and no warning on the cover about internet connection was needed or that it would not work until a specific day... how could I as a customer know this?

I know internet activation is needed for some games. But I didn't think this game needed that. It should have been written on system requirments or any place else on the cover. And having internet in my home I never guessed that it would still cause a problem since it was released in a well known store, Platekompaniet. And my friends have been playing it for days on PS4.

I'm a casual gamer and I don't go around with the knowledge of specific release dates for all games that I might pick up in the future. I do most of my gaming on PS4, but I saw a video of the beautiful graphics on PC for this game, and that day I made a sudden decision to pick up the PC version of the game since had time to play this weekend. I don't spend that much time on gaming sites, or read that much about games to know that a game company decides to have different release dates for different gaming plattforms.

I understand now that I won't be able to play the game on PC until March 1. But, again - there was no information available to me as a customer in that store or on the game cover that day to let me know the game wouldn't work after I bought it. But, I give up. :)

The information you need should be that the game isn't out. This is really all on the store for screwing up the release dates, as it's not your job knowing it, but their. They are supposed to start selling the game at release time, not before. That's what the pre order part is for. So non of the blame is on you nor Ubisoft, but completely on the store for not doing it's job properly.

Dr_Peedee
02-29-2016, 10:00 AM
The information you need should be that the game isn't out. This is really all on the store for screwing up the release dates, as it's not your job knowing it, but their. They are supposed to start selling the game at release time, not before. That's what the pre order part is for. So non of the blame is on you nor Ubisoft, but completely on the store for not doing it's job properly.

Yes, you're absolutely right. I know the game companies are very strict about release dates. But the store surprised me here as this is a big chain, perhaps the biggest on movies, music and games in Norway, with stores all over country. Usually they don't mess up like this. Well, nothing to do about now. Just wait for the game to release online.

Still, I think they should have had warning on the game cover that an internet connection is needed to play. Most people have that today, of course. But say if wanted to play this game on my lap top when I'm visiting my brother in his cabin way out where there is no internet. No, I'm not making up a situation here just for the arguments sake. This is something that I do, not often, but sometimes. (And for others this might very well be the reason they still buy physical copies of their games). Usually I spend my time when I'm there going skiing in the daytime and drinking beer at night. Not gaming. You know, a typical Norwegian trip to the cabin ;)

JasonParadise
02-29-2016, 05:09 PM
Hey there, Dr_Peedee!

Apologies for the confusion. The PC version of Far Cry Primal will be unlocked for play as of 12:01AM Eastern on March 1st. Here are the exact release times worldwide:

Feb 29th @ 9:01PM PST (San Francisco)
Mar 1st @ 12:01AM EST (New York)
Mar 1st @ 6:01AM CET (Vienna)
Mar 1st @ 4:01PM AEDT (Sydney)

DigitalTwisted
02-29-2016, 09:01 PM
Hey there, Dr_Peedee!

Apologies for the confusion. The PC version of Far Cry Primal will be unlocked for play as of 12:01AM Eastern on March 1st. Here are the exact release times worldwide:

Here's a question.

Why can't they all just unlock at midnight?

I mean I have to wait until 5:01AM for the game to unlock, meaning I now wont be able to play it until Friday at the earliest because I cant get a few hours in before bed at mdnight. Now I know this is a minor inconvenience and it really doesnt bother me that much I just wonder why in 2016, Uplay cant just recognise what timezone im in and unlock the game at midnight on the release date.

lochnessC
02-29-2016, 09:18 PM
Hey there, Dr_Peedee!

Why did the CET move from 12:01 am to 6:01 am today??? when it allways seys 12:01 am in Uplay???
When the count whas on 8 hours left there change it to 14 hours.. this been change today... that is realy unfear sense the counter did sey at 12:01 am CET in over 7 days....

Viragoxv535
02-29-2016, 09:33 PM
Well, the average time zone is correct. Think about it: gamers in Australia have to wait until 4PM...

DigitalTwisted
02-29-2016, 09:38 PM
Well, the average time zone is correct. Think about it: gamers in Australia have to wait until 4PM...

Exactly! So why doesn't it either unlock at midnight in each time zone OR if they want it to release at the same time worldwide, why not Midnight in Australia?

As it currently stands folk in Australia have to wait 16 hours to play a game that's supposed to be out. They want us to move to an all digital future yet in 2016 I can walk into a store at midnight and buy the game and start playing immediately yet if I go digital I have to wait 16 hours?

It's stupid.

Viragoxv535
02-29-2016, 09:57 PM
I can walk into a store at midnight and buy the game and start playing immediately

Maybe you are unaware of the fact that online actvation is mandatory even for a physical copy and if you try to activate before that time it simply won't.

lochnessC
02-29-2016, 10:13 PM
Problem is Uplay sey in 7 days they game unlocks at 00:01 am CET march 1.. 8 hours left they change the count down to 7 am CET march 1... That pisses me off... why dident they sey it from the begining and why change it 8 hours before release......

Viragoxv535
02-29-2016, 10:21 PM
The automated system was fed just a date without a time so that might explain why you've seen midnight all along.

kira1004
02-29-2016, 10:29 PM
Midnight would have made a bit more sense for those of us in the AEST time zone though. Means it would have unlocked at the same time the shops opened up for the day, meaning those that work in the afternoon/night can enjoy the game the day it comes out. Then again, ANYTHING earlier then 4PM would have been fine by me.

lochnessC
02-29-2016, 10:30 PM
All other games releae at 12:01 am in each zone this is the norm in the game world.. i planned to play the game for 6 hours before leaving.. now i will not able to play it for a week.... feels riped off....