PDA

View Full Version : Should a Game be Finished On Release?

Kronnac
08-29-2004, 02:58 PM
In the past few months i have purchased 2 games for my computer; Far Cry and Doom 3.

Both Games push (or even exceed) the limits of today's technical possibilities of gaming.

Far Cry of course was the first game i bought that would "Kick the S**T" out of my Geforce FX 5950 Ultra and quite frankly it did.

On the same day I bought my copy i also purchased a new hard drive and thus reinstalled my entire system.
First piece of software to enter my registry was Far Cry.

The first time i played it, i played at 1280x1024x32 with al settings set to highest, FSAAx8 and anisotropic x8. The game ran like a charm! Second i tv-outed onto my tv and played it with my cordless mouse/keyboard as if it were a console game. I reached the communications base level where you have to reach the ruins on top of the mountain. Played a little, shot some folks and then noticed the time and quit as i had to go somewhere. Shut down my pc and didn't touch it for about 2 weeks.

Upon my return the suprises started. At the start of the level you're on the inflatable boat facing the first island. Suddenly i hade a framerate you could count on one single hand.

So shut the game down, lowered settings and tried again. Result: FPS whilst pointing to the island or whilst submerged (into other directions it went smooth) <5fps.

I tried loading previous levels that ran smoothly for a fact but those resulted in desktop crashing as soon as i saw the first enemy.

So it was obviously time for some new drivers.
And of course the re-installment of Far cry.

As i am reluctant of patching when stuff 'works' in those settings i skipped that part for the moment.

The result of my efforts were awarded with a bueatiful blue fog surrounding everything more than 4 feet away. (but hey, at least my frame-rate went up!...)

So after entering the world wibe web i got myself a copy of the Far Cry 1.1 update and patched my software. ( i did not pach it to 1.2 as i can only download the 1.1 version in europe and the reviews of 1.2 are pretty bad)

And guess what? No more fog and a moderate framerate when my settings are on medium/low. But still my game crashes/hangs after a minute or 5. Specific to my crashes is that suddenly all buildings dissappear, the framerate drops to 0.1/s and i get a lovely view of all the surroundings. To break the monotonous view i sometimes see my pistol (although it's not my current weapon) my decals and for some freaky moments actually even one or two buildings!!

Needless to say this game is a waste of money in its current state. Why on earth should i pay for, let's say a TV, just to find out it can just display half the channels? Or even better, all the channels but it just turns off after 10 minutes. Do I Stick around and wait for the repairman to come over every couple of days to fix the next problem? Or do O just sell the TV (if possible) and buy one that is finished and is known to work?

Sure maybe right now the only way for software developers to survive is by meeting deadlines without a bugfree product. But honestly a producer that cannot finish a product before they sell it does not deserve to exist. Survival of the fittest? It's not as if sony would sell a playstation 3 without a drive bay just to meet the deadline? Just get the drive bay for free after its issues have been solved....... Ah well but still fighting the good fight no to lose money from illegal copying... They should make companies put a lable on the front (just like rated 18+) to tell us: This release needs to be patched first. That'll make them rethink their deadline strategy.

To prove my point, I purchased a copy of Doom 3.

Now this game has amazing graphics in every square inch of it. I'd say ultra-realistic (although the gameplay is not pushing any envelope).

I can play that game (that outdoes Far Cry in EVERY single possible aspect imaginable) at a staggering 1600x1200x32@FSAAx8 and anisotropic x8 and ultra high settings at an avarage of 45fps!!!!!.

I finished the game and i did not have 1 single error! not 1!!!!!

Now explain to me why i should still feel satisfied at my purchase of Far Cry? The only two things it has been good for so far is to serve as a nice frisbee or a good way to make my computer make itself feel used. And still for both i have better options. A true playstation 2 without a drive bay...

Next Time Ubi Soft releases a new game i will download an illegal copy(i don't trust demos as the demo worked fine), if it works i will buy myself a copy (although from my point they owe me one for free) else i will just remove the game and not even think of purchasing the complete retail copy. For now i'll let Darwin do the work and make the weaker extinct.

This game is a far cry from being complete.

Sincerely yours,

Benny Cohen.

P.S.

Geforce FX 5950 Ultra
Asus A7M266
1 GB DDR
Soundblaster Audigy Platinum EX

Windows XP Sp 1 (fully updated)
Nvidia Detonators 61.77
All the latest drivers for the rest of my hardware (not really important)

Kronnac
08-29-2004, 02:58 PM
In the past few months i have purchased 2 games for my computer; Far Cry and Doom 3.

Both Games push (or even exceed) the limits of today's technical possibilities of gaming.

Far Cry of course was the first game i bought that would "Kick the S**T" out of my Geforce FX 5950 Ultra and quite frankly it did.

On the same day I bought my copy i also purchased a new hard drive and thus reinstalled my entire system.
First piece of software to enter my registry was Far Cry.

The first time i played it, i played at 1280x1024x32 with al settings set to highest, FSAAx8 and anisotropic x8. The game ran like a charm! Second i tv-outed onto my tv and played it with my cordless mouse/keyboard as if it were a console game. I reached the communications base level where you have to reach the ruins on top of the mountain. Played a little, shot some folks and then noticed the time and quit as i had to go somewhere. Shut down my pc and didn't touch it for about 2 weeks.

Upon my return the suprises started. At the start of the level you're on the inflatable boat facing the first island. Suddenly i hade a framerate you could count on one single hand.

So shut the game down, lowered settings and tried again. Result: FPS whilst pointing to the island or whilst submerged (into other directions it went smooth) &lt;5fps.

I tried loading previous levels that ran smoothly for a fact but those resulted in desktop crashing as soon as i saw the first enemy.

So it was obviously time for some new drivers.
And of course the re-installment of Far cry.

As i am reluctant of patching when stuff 'works' in those settings i skipped that part for the moment.

The result of my efforts were awarded with a bueatiful blue fog surrounding everything more than 4 feet away. (but hey, at least my frame-rate went up!...)

So after entering the world wibe web i got myself a copy of the Far Cry 1.1 update and patched my software. ( i did not pach it to 1.2 as i can only download the 1.1 version in europe and the reviews of 1.2 are pretty bad)

And guess what? No more fog and a moderate framerate when my settings are on medium/low. But still my game crashes/hangs after a minute or 5. Specific to my crashes is that suddenly all buildings dissappear, the framerate drops to 0.1/s and i get a lovely view of all the surroundings. To break the monotonous view i sometimes see my pistol (although it's not my current weapon) my decals and for some freaky moments actually even one or two buildings!!

Needless to say this game is a waste of money in its current state. Why on earth should i pay for, let's say a TV, just to find out it can just display half the channels? Or even better, all the channels but it just turns off after 10 minutes. Do I Stick around and wait for the repairman to come over every couple of days to fix the next problem? Or do O just sell the TV (if possible) and buy one that is finished and is known to work?

Sure maybe right now the only way for software developers to survive is by meeting deadlines without a bugfree product. But honestly a producer that cannot finish a product before they sell it does not deserve to exist. Survival of the fittest? It's not as if sony would sell a playstation 3 without a drive bay just to meet the deadline? Just get the drive bay for free after its issues have been solved....... Ah well but still fighting the good fight no to lose money from illegal copying... They should make companies put a lable on the front (just like rated 18+) to tell us: This release needs to be patched first. That'll make them rethink their deadline strategy.

To prove my point, I purchased a copy of Doom 3.

Now this game has amazing graphics in every square inch of it. I'd say ultra-realistic (although the gameplay is not pushing any envelope).

I can play that game (that outdoes Far Cry in EVERY single possible aspect imaginable) at a staggering 1600x1200x32@FSAAx8 and anisotropic x8 and ultra high settings at an avarage of 45fps!!!!!.

I finished the game and i did not have 1 single error! not 1!!!!!

Now explain to me why i should still feel satisfied at my purchase of Far Cry? The only two things it has been good for so far is to serve as a nice frisbee or a good way to make my computer make itself feel used. And still for both i have better options. A true playstation 2 without a drive bay...

Next Time Ubi Soft releases a new game i will download an illegal copy(i don't trust demos as the demo worked fine), if it works i will buy myself a copy (although from my point they owe me one for free) else i will just remove the game and not even think of purchasing the complete retail copy. For now i'll let Darwin do the work and make the weaker extinct.

This game is a far cry from being complete.

Sincerely yours,

Benny Cohen.

P.S.

Geforce FX 5950 Ultra
Asus A7M266
1 GB DDR
Soundblaster Audigy Platinum EX

Windows XP Sp 1 (fully updated)
Nvidia Detonators 61.77
All the latest drivers for the rest of my hardware (not really important)

Mad_Murdock2k
08-29-2004, 04:35 PM
Go visit the Doom3 forums and help the throngs of people having problems getting Doom3 to work and claiming that Doom3 is **** and was released to soon.

Far Cry is D3D (aka ATI) friendly, Doom3 is OpenGL (aka Nvidia) friendly.

Your Logic seems pretty irrational, You had problems with one game from UBIsoft (where say 300,00-400,000 other people didn't) and so now you plan to pirate their games from here on out. Doom3 worked for you and so it must be a perfect game (discounting all the other people who had problems with it).

I've successuly played both games on both a 9800Pro and a 6800GT. Both played through just fine with no problems. Using your logic, it seems the problem is on your end, not UBI's. So you shouldn't be allowed to play another game period

__________________________________________________ __________

Have your voted ?

[1][Why did you buy this game ? SP or MP ? (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=452106891&m=531104034)

fabulouscoops
08-29-2004, 10:45 PM
Played through Far Cry 6 times and DOOM3 3 times with no problems at any point with a 9800 pro. This includes three GFX driver updates and a directx update each of which improved framerates.
Every game I can think of has had at least one patch. I would bet you see a DOOM3 patch by the end of the year. As technology improves, game people give you your money's worth by updating their product. It does not mean the game is not finished upon release.
The TV analogy is just wrong. TV is hardware just like your computer. If your computer does not run the software you want, then get a new one or fix the one you have.

ToranagaSama1
08-30-2004, 01:02 AM
Should everyone be able to drive without a license?
Should everyone with a license be able to drive?
Should everyone with the money to buy a computer be allowed to do so?
Should everyone be allowed to operate a PC without a license?

MUHO to all questions above is NO!!!!!

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/smileys-gun2.gif

KiwiVenge
08-30-2004, 05:28 AM
I somewhat agree with Kronnac. It is easy to say "It is your machione that sucks so it is not the games fault"
Well, I would think it would be less that 1% of people out there have a machine (that meet minimum specs) that is absolutely screwed and will not run games.
So to say "Well, that other game does not work on some people machine either" does not justify it.
The games should work perfectly on all but that less than 1% of machines. By the look at this forum, I would say there are some very solid machines that Farcry will not work on without having to stand on your head or whatever.
I guess no one likes to admit that games and computers still suck in the year 2004. I wonder what year it will be when you can buy a game and be sure that either the pc manufacturer or the game manufacturer will take responsibility for their product if there is a problem.
Look on the bright side though, we are the main group that is driving (and funding) the whole computer industry, from it's ground roots up.
What would the capabilities of a pc today be without the gaming community? lol

Ru.
08-30-2004, 06:01 AM
If you want to be on the bleeding edge of gaming (PCs) then expect some turbulence.

I'm glad that both HW and SW continuously push back the bundaries.

Just 'cos people have decent, new HW doesn't mean their rig is stable. I am sure that in the majority of applicable cases, Far Cry is the messenger not the cause of instability.

Anyway, if you want trouble-free gaming (computing) get a console.

"Ru' speaks the truth" http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=452106891&m=432104525&r=181109925#181109925)

"Apart from when he's flaming" http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=452106891&m=336108825&r=123100545#123100545) (Which was also the truth, by the way...)

Djiant
08-30-2004, 08:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I can play that game at a staggering 1600x1200x32@FSAAx8 and anisotropic x8 and ultra high settings at an avarage of 45fps!!!!!.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With the rig you have, this is a lie!!!!

http://img63.photobucket.com/albums/v191/Dyami/Avatars/HolidayDreams.jpg

Ru.
08-30-2004, 11:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Djiant:
With the rig you have, this is a lie!!!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I'm with Djiant on that one...

"Ru' speaks the truth" http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=452106891&m=432104525&r=181109925#181109925)

"Apart from when he's flaming" http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=452106891&m=336108825&r=123100545#123100545) (Which was also the truth, by the way...)