PDA

View Full Version : Which consumable is your favorite?

Natchai_Ubisoft
02-18-2016, 10:57 AM
Greetings agents,

While we’re all big fans of Water and Medkits, because well, sometimes you get thirsty when you’re getting shot at, we wanted to get your opinion on all the consumables at your disposal.

You see, we’re heavily into style points, and what’s better than lighting a sucker up with Incendiary or even Explosive rounds?

But anyways, we can’t all be cool cats. So what’s your consumable of choice?
Pro-tip: you can open the consumables wheel holding right D-pad on console or holding V on PC

//- End Transmission_

CPT_INTERCEPTION
02-18-2016, 11:04 AM
did not use them allot in the closed beta

IFeda
02-18-2016, 03:01 PM
Incendiary rounds coupled with fire grenades in the DZ on the roof of that garage when there are 4 people extracting at once. It's way too hard to sit there and watch as you could be blowing them all up.

ZoharQAW
02-18-2016, 08:51 PM
I never use them, just give em to civvies who need em. Played 44 hours of closed beta and dont even know what they do.

the bullet buffs I used once or twice, didnt seem to make any difference, so I ignored them after that.

Jammer480
02-18-2016, 08:55 PM
Explosive rounds were pretty cool, probably used them the most.

ChuckUNorris
02-19-2016, 02:20 PM
Incindiary Rounds are fun when they proc.

Robot_Monkey
02-19-2016, 05:58 PM
The ammo and medpacks are nice. The rest might not really come into play in the early game we are seeing in the betas. I guess in the later game when we are facing tougher enemies (like the beta's DZ-bosses) they might get much more important.

The wheel menu just feelss a bit strange on pc though (for me at least). Not sure yet why but it feels a bit less accurate than in some other games using similar menus (like the tools selectionwheels on the older Assa.Creed games). Just a small control issue though (and not even remotely as inconvenient as the tab-problem with the map/gps*).

*Although offtopic, just for completion: Many players like having Tab as their map-key as it lies easily in reach when using wasd. Using Tab opens the map correctly so it would seem logical that Tab is also used to close the map as well. But to correctly close it you have to actually use Esc (which lies a little bit off while using wasd). Pressing Tab again closes the map as well BUT also toggles gps either on or off at the same time.

Carthalion
02-19-2016, 09:11 PM
all the rations I gave to civilians in need.

never found any explosive rounds so incendiary rounds by default when they proc...then I heard Will Farrell in my head screaming "I'm on FIRE I'm on FIRE!"

Salvo1
02-19-2016, 11:26 PM
I like the explosive and incendiary rounds, but wish there was an easier way to equip them. Holding down the medpac key and trying to select it with your thumbstick or the mouse (especially the mouse, which is twitchy) is difficult and unintuitive. I also wish there was a way to unequip them and use regular rounds instead of being forced to use them once you had them out. Why not use the d-pad up and down for consumables?

Effusions
02-20-2016, 01:11 AM
The only consumables I've used are medkits. I don't even remember the button to activate the others or what any of the food items do.

Omega Infinitum
02-20-2016, 02:31 AM
Liked the incendiary rounds, but I feel like you shouldn't have to have medkits on right d-pad if you don't want to. Default there, sure, but if I want to set something else there I should be able to. Also a more robust explanation of how they work, what they do, and what they look like with MY character build. Certain items being more valuable on different character types.

Dori-Ma
02-20-2016, 04:51 AM
Only ones I used were water bottles and energy bars. And those were only used for needy civilians.

Elysa_Adjany
02-20-2016, 10:39 AM
Incendiary rounds... Best ammunition EVER

fyk1
02-20-2016, 11:40 AM
Ehr, yeah, I think there is a bit of an usability/UX problem here: watched the tutorial, played the game, still I had to piece together their simple existence and how to use them from the keybindings and the inventory menu; maybe a contextual tip here and there (or a radial menu for consumable selection) would help :)
Grenades got a lot more coverage in comparison

OzE_BeeJay
02-20-2016, 11:56 AM
Incendiary rounds... Someone say they needed a light?

GeauxTiger
02-20-2016, 12:05 PM
I like the explosive and incendiary rounds, but wish there was an easier way to equip them. Holding down the medpac key and trying to select it with your thumbstick or the mouse (especially the mouse, which is twitchy) is difficult and unintuitive. I also wish there was a way to unequip them and use regular rounds instead of being forced to use them once you had them out. Why not use the d-pad up and down for consumables?

Agree with this 100%. The current UI mechanic of holding down "V" and using the extremely in accurate mouse movement to select the consumable is a pain.

LthL
02-20-2016, 12:45 PM
I think it is tough to use the consumables in battle, and some battles just happen so randomnly that you can't use them properly, I actually just found out yesterday what they did, after spending 40 hours in the Closed Beta, of course that's my bad but it wasn't mentioned anywhere as well. I hope this can be improved and that the use of these can be expanded.

DieHarder55
02-20-2016, 02:20 PM
Based on my 20 plus years of gaming, I don't I will use these much as there is no quick slot to use most of the those items in combat. Since the enemy likes to flank in this game, I'll be spending more time worrying about moving around and having med kits to use. Something like the incendiaries or explosive bullets would start a battle off but then I would like not be focused on using them after that.

Mostly I will give the stuff away.

MikeyMike5967
02-20-2016, 03:29 PM
The only type of consumables I've used are the ammo ones. I don't use those that much because unless I'm going to ambush someone I don't have to much time to equip them. Other than the ammo I use the other consumables to give to the civilians in need.

Darkstorm A1
02-20-2016, 03:40 PM
I dont like any of them because of their awkward position on the controller and I often simply forget about them, but I used the incendiary bullets from time to time in the darkzone and they are fairly strong.

jeffman24
02-20-2016, 09:39 PM
Incendiary rounds are by and far my favorite because of their lethalness.....anything that gives me more of an advantage is a good thing.

Machitos-01
02-20-2016, 09:47 PM
The consumable system is a tad too much, and not very easy to navigate, making it, as with most other people here, completely unused.

It would be far easier to remember if it was like a long duration buff, in which you can use at the beginning of the mission and carry it throughout.

But the way it is currently modelled, it is sadly very often overlooked, and unused.

It is ultimately a "give to civvies" junk item.

redcentman2
02-21-2016, 06:44 AM
I actually like them all. but my fav is the explosive bullets. I cant remember if this was in the alpha but i remember being able to switch between single shot bullet to using 2 bullets or using a full around on enemies just by pressing a button. if not I would to see this in game. but for anything else I really like this game and I can't wait to play on march 8th. thank you ubisoft team its a wonderful game and this is just a beta

Siliconhobbit
02-21-2016, 09:31 AM
As I posted in Closed Beta, I'll post the same again.

HOW? HOW are ANY of these used? There is NO UI indication on how to use these things or what keyboard press or combinations of keys to press to use them. How in God's name are we even supposed to give you proper feedback if we do not even know how to use these things?

Water Bottle, Soda, Canned Food, Energy Bar: As far as I am aware, are only used to give to NPC's in need. If I can use them as a player....ya got me! I have no idea! Wonderful right?

Incendiary Round & Explosive Rounds. How do I use them? Do I even HAVE them? If I do, where do I find them? Can I buy them from a vendor?

/facepalm

DrExtrem
02-21-2016, 10:53 AM
Medkits ... And inc. bullets.

AP rounds would be a very nice addition though. Or simply give certain guns the ability to pierce armor and bodies. A gun perk would also be nice.

GhStRdR2k
02-21-2016, 11:09 AM
Only used medkits, the rest I gave away. The people of New York needed them more.

Besides who has time to use a water before you heal when you're in the middle of a firefight.

Natchai_Ubisoft
02-21-2016, 12:08 PM
As I posted in Closed Beta, I'll post the same again.

HOW? HOW are ANY of these used? There is NO UI indication on how to use these things or what keyboard press or combinations of keys to press to use them. How in God's name are we even supposed to give you proper feedback if we do not even know how to use these things?

Water Bottle, Soda, Canned Food, Energy Bar: As far as I am aware, are only used to give to NPC's in need. If I can use them as a player....ya got me! I have no idea! Wonderful right?

Incendiary Round & Explosive Rounds. How do I use them? Do I even HAVE them? If I do, where do I find them? Can I buy them from a vendor?

/facepalm

You hold down the key to use med-kit, which would be d-pad right or V :)

MattyyDunn
02-21-2016, 01:56 PM
Honestly? i forgot they where even in the game. The most i used any of it was giving random civilians supplies to get gear in the campaign world everything else i forgot even existed.

Kerjango
02-21-2016, 05:04 PM
they are so hard to use on the console, it takes way too long to find and activate them in the moments when you need them the most and are under fire. Also they do not last nearly long enough.

Siliconhobbit
02-21-2016, 07:37 PM
You hold down the key to use med-kit, which would be d-pad right or V :)

THANK YOU for that response. I do appreciate it.

However...my point was that there was/is nothing in game that tells us that or gives us any indication on how to do it. I should not have to rely upon the kindness of strangers within the community to clue me in on how to do this.

Again, thank you never-the-less. :)

Misterscruff63
02-21-2016, 08:47 PM
Not particularly bothered use whatever I need to use when I need to use it.

The Remander
02-21-2016, 09:42 PM
I rarely used anything but Medkits in the Closed Beta, but have really increased my utilization in the Open Beta. Water is great against Elite targets. Incendiary and Explosive bullets are great for crowds. Don't think I've used Canned Food, Soda, or Energy Bars, though.

KPRage
02-22-2016, 05:55 PM
Explosive Rounds were amazing. Made dealing with stronger enemies even easier than before.

Pinkerton985
02-22-2016, 07:31 PM
Water, soda, canned food, and energy bars I used for the civilians in need, and I don't really care much for the others. But, if were to use one, it would likely be the incendiary bullets.

Saikyohero
02-22-2016, 10:55 PM
There were consumables? :P

Xion_Stellar
02-22-2016, 11:07 PM
I never used them and I just gave them to random civilians on the street. Medkits is all I needed for the Beta.

MiserableLes
02-22-2016, 11:15 PM
Explosive rounds make things go bang = good!

Never even realised that the other things would provide bonuses. Perhaps something in the tutorial to say what does what?

SideOfPoutine
02-23-2016, 01:25 AM
None expect medkts, because the Radial consumable selector is pretty much unusable with a mouse, and I'm not about to give them dedicated keymappings unless the consumables become more memorable/important.

Sir_lilstarfish
02-23-2016, 03:05 AM
1. As others have already stated the consumable (and also the grenade) selection wheel is not working as it's probably intended (on PC with Steelseries Sensei for me).
It's impossible to select the consumable you want as the different selections are randomly lit with no stable control at all.

2. The current idea of using these (food items) to just get some short bonus "battle effect"(?) does not seem very logical to me.
I would have thought that you could use an energy bar to maybe run faster for a period or maybe use some other energy rich food item to heal faster when really low (to put a realistic real world use for them).

3. If you want these items (food and otherwise) to be used by the players put them (if available and with the available amount) in the game gui at the top or bottom of the screen together with the current associated hotkeys (maybe with an option to hide this row in the GUI options when players have these hotkeys down in muscle memory).

4. Maybe have the special ammunition and grenade selections on the oposite side of the screen (also with the option for the seasoned player to hide this row when not needed anymore).

Just my thoughts after playing both the Closed and the Open Beta.

cheradenineZ
02-23-2016, 03:44 AM
Honestly I kept forgetting I even had these and barely used them.

wcat424
02-23-2016, 06:17 AM
Definitely used the med kit often and hardly used the other consumables, mostly gave them to civilians. I would think about it before the engagement but it the heat of battle it wouldn't come to mind. It would be great if the ammo could be equipped but the timer not start until the first shot was made

Madcap Luck
02-23-2016, 06:34 AM
I liked to use opposite of what abilities I was using- if I were using flash bang launcher- I preferred frag grenades and incendiary rounds. If I was using the sticky bomb launcher- I would prep flash bang and explosive ammo. I was a fan of all of them.

TheBadMan_
02-23-2016, 02:26 PM
Its always nice to see people burn isnt it? And the fire grenades thrown at enemy rogues hiding aganist a wall with no way out! So FUN!

ChequeSix
02-23-2016, 02:37 PM
None of the above, I guess. I kept giving away whatever I could to civilians and saving the rest for a rainy day (not clear how common special ammo is). When in combat where I might want superior firepower I was usually too busy shooting or moving to focus on consumable

kerupt_
02-23-2016, 02:40 PM
People obviously weren't using the consumables. Energy bars were an absolute necessity when going rogue. Remove all status effects? So much for that flash bang and bleed chump, time to get wrecked ;)

komonoso
02-23-2016, 04:29 PM
l only used consumables before combat, in combat it didn't even come to mind.

Mainly because l didn't notice any indication that the consumable's effect ran out and with both your skills and the concumable on cooldown it became confusing to me to keep tabs on it during combat, especially pvp since they (the cooldown icon) all look similar and are in the same area.

And using the wheel menu felt slow and cumbersome.

onenightnparis
02-23-2016, 07:06 PM
grenades and consumables menus are so bad on PS4, take a look at how MGSV inventory work

Tipsytoo
02-23-2016, 07:09 PM
carbonated soda

Mhyth
02-23-2016, 08:33 PM
Have to admit other than medkits, I didn't use consumables as anything other than barter items.

I had the intention of trying to use the consumable ammo types but in the heat of the moment would't remember to use them. I'd far prefer the ammo types be more a collected supply of bullets than short time buffs. Saving the very limited number of buff items you can hold at once for a difficult situation pretty much led to never remembering to use them in the heat of a difficult situation or ever. Being able to have a weapon set to an ammo type ahead of a fight would greatly help with that.

Sleuthman
02-24-2016, 11:25 AM
Can second the menu for selecting these on PCs is really tricky, it's like the mouse sensitivity goes back to default values, which is really high for me, I almost always miss the item i actually want to press.

JackKerras
02-25-2016, 04:54 AM
Incendiary rounds by far.

Fire: Nature's crowd control.

oksfinest
02-25-2016, 05:54 AM
I seriously used ZERO of the options in either beta i played. Forgot about the rounds the second time, didnt even know the other items could be used. I thought they were just for civilians

Sniffynose
02-25-2016, 12:58 PM
PS4/Xbox One user here, I found the non-grenade types to be almost impossible to cycle and use during battle, the ability to map one for quick use without hindering the medkit would go a long way.

NavihawkTV
02-26-2016, 02:54 AM
I noticed that consumables are very unintuitive on the PC control set. I never used them other than to support NPCs in the PvE Areas, and never used them in DZ at all.

stylez-one
02-28-2016, 05:43 PM
Have to admit other than medkits, I didn't use consumables as anything other than barter items.

I had the intention of trying to use the consumable ammo types but in the heat of the moment would't remember to use them. I'd far prefer the ammo types be more a collected supply of bullets than short time buffs. Saving the very limited number of buff items you can hold at once for a difficult situation pretty much led to never remembering to use them in the heat of a difficult situation or ever. Being able to have a weapon set to an ammo type ahead of a fight would greatly help with that.

yep, pretty much same here.

EdgarHighman
02-28-2016, 11:41 PM
did not use them allot in the closed beta

the consumable wheel was broke AF, it bounced all over and once opened it forced you to select an item (you couldn't just cancel) so...