PDA

View Full Version : Water Shadows

Ripp3r_Sw3
03-28-2004, 01:43 PM
On Crytek maps there is a shadow that moves over the textures UNDER the water level. This looks really nice but i can't figure it out how they get this shadow.

Ripp3r_Sw3
03-28-2004, 01:43 PM
On Crytek maps there is a shadow that moves over the textures UNDER the water level. This looks really nice but i can't figure it out how they get this shadow.

Ripp3r_Sw3
03-30-2004, 08:57 AM
Please can someone help ???

If you don't know what i mean it's the animated texture moving over the bottom in the ocean. For exemple open any Crytek map with water and look at the bottom in the ocean and you'l see a moving shadow.

It's maybe not clear on the image but it's the Bright on the image. For me it's important cause it makes the water so mush more Alive.

ftp://sliz3r:qBDsFn@ftp.home.no/Water.JPG

harryluck
03-30-2004, 09:21 AM
don't quote me on this, but i have a feeling it might be something that is stored in the environment\water script?! ... it's the only think i can think of... i'm going to have a read through of it now.

Harry.

harryluck
03-30-2004, 09:26 AM
Yeah, this script TerrainWater_OnlySky under the enviroment\shaders\water option seems to reference a texture called caustics, on looking at that texture it seems to bear an uncanny relationship to the clouds that pass over the surface of the water... these are located in FCData\textures.pak (animated dir)

Harry.

ps, i could be wrong... but what the hell! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

harryluck
03-30-2004, 09:57 AM
i looked through the script and tried to edit a few bits and bobs, but... there is too much to fiddle around with and i don't know what any of it does... however, i'm pretty damn sure that the caustic is setup in here, i just don't know how! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Harry.

thedudemanguy
03-30-2004, 10:58 AM
I think you just have to set caustics to true in environment, and push apply at the bottom if it wasn't already set. then you're engine settings will need to be high to see the effect.

Ripp3r_Sw3
03-30-2004, 12:23 PM
Hehe thanks a very lot =)

The thing was that Causics was already on .... but disableing and enabling again makes it work.

Very nice water now =)

theansweris
03-31-2004, 01:49 AM
I've edited Unreal a bit. In that, I could do something similar with something called a projector. It "projects" an image. I even made a level and did exactly what you want to do. Find out about projectors. That should lead you to what you want. You will need to find the correct texture to project.