PDA

View Full Version : Odd fix for my poor frame rates!

XyZspineZyX
01-30-2004, 03:43 AM
Ok let me say that i use nvhardpage for all my gaming. It allows you to set custom d3d and opengl settings, as well as allowing you to set your vid. card to render 0 frames ahead so nothing is stored in the buffer. This stops all choppiness in any game i've ever played. with 3 frames ahead, fc and bf42 lag and skip a little. For me this was a god send. Ok now to how i did this weird thing with fc.
I start the game at 1024x768 evrything at very high except for textures they are at med., you really need a 128 mb vid card to go to very high on textures.

When the game starts the framerate is about 18, which ain't bad for a geforce 4 mx 420 64mb with everything very high. Now i hit escape and go to the setup panel in the game menu and change the res. to 800x600. When i return to the game now i have frame rate of 30, now i go back to options and set back to 1024x768 and when i return to game it stays at 30 at 1024x768 smooth as silk. It leads me to believe there may be mem leak and by exiting game and rentering unloads the textures. Just a thought, but works for me!

athlon 1.3ghz
sb live 5.1 gamer
740 of slow arse pc 133 mem sdram
geforce 4 mx 420 64 mb

the nvhardpage does the trick!!!

XyZspineZyX
01-30-2004, 03:43 AM
Ok let me say that i use nvhardpage for all my gaming. It allows you to set custom d3d and opengl settings, as well as allowing you to set your vid. card to render 0 frames ahead so nothing is stored in the buffer. This stops all choppiness in any game i've ever played. with 3 frames ahead, fc and bf42 lag and skip a little. For me this was a god send. Ok now to how i did this weird thing with fc.
I start the game at 1024x768 evrything at very high except for textures they are at med., you really need a 128 mb vid card to go to very high on textures.

When the game starts the framerate is about 18, which ain't bad for a geforce 4 mx 420 64mb with everything very high. Now i hit escape and go to the setup panel in the game menu and change the res. to 800x600. When i return to the game now i have frame rate of 30, now i go back to options and set back to 1024x768 and when i return to game it stays at 30 at 1024x768 smooth as silk. It leads me to believe there may be mem leak and by exiting game and rentering unloads the textures. Just a thought, but works for me!

athlon 1.3ghz
sb live 5.1 gamer
740 of slow arse pc 133 mem sdram
geforce 4 mx 420 64 mb

the nvhardpage does the trick!!!

XyZspineZyX
01-30-2004, 08:33 AM
Hey, interesting post. Can you tell me where the option is to disable the card from rendering 3 frames ahead?

I did find it on my normal direct 3d settings but I'm under the impression this only has to do with vsync being turned on? If so, do you use vsync with both your opengl and direct3d games? (what's your refresh rate, if so?)

I'm interested in trying this out.

XyZspineZyX
01-30-2004, 08:23 PM
Hello! meridian,
No there is no option to render less frames with any geforce vid. driver. You have to get that little program i was talking about that allows you to set your vid. card to render 0 ahead. right now if you look in your d3d settings in your settings panel for your vid card. you should see in the left panel " more direct 3d" where it gives you the option to turn off vsync. This where you will find the option to render 0 frames ahead after you install nvhardpage. It is very easy to use and has a default if you where to make any mistake. get it here! http://www.guru3d.com/ and yes i vsync turned off for gl and d3d and a refresh rate of 85. hope this helps you, the game runs fantastic for me on this old grandpa of a pc. respond if you have any probs, or need some help.

XyZspineZyX
01-30-2004, 09:44 PM
Hi there mate, thanks for the tip it really worked for me and allowed me to play on high res with smoother frame rates. 1024X768 32bit. By the way the 45.23 dets do let you adjust the frames ahead to zero, it normally defaults to 3. So with a combination of switching resolutions whilst in game and using the frames ahead tip its way better for me.

I did not have to use nvidia hardpage.

XyZspineZyX
01-30-2004, 11:00 PM
Oh i had no idea! that the 45 drivers would work with this demo. I had the 32.08 and the textures were all messed up. I read the readme and it said you needed the 53.03 to run the demo. I'M glad it smoothed things out for you, I think everyone should give it a try. Yea thats cool the vid. driver allowed you to render less frames. It really makes a diff. I still don't understand why switching res. and then going back betters the frame rates , for me anyway. On low end cards rendering ahead strains the card. If it works, do it!

XyZspineZyX
02-01-2004, 02:04 AM
Thanks BubbaGump! Your suggestions corrected my lag problem! You da man.....

XyZspineZyX
02-01-2004, 02:15 AM
awsum! ill try this out!

XyZspineZyX
02-01-2004, 02:32 AM
No prob. you should really give it a try on bf if you have it. I would get random freezes for a split second while driving in battle or lot of action. and after this it stopped it. I thought there was no way i would be even able to play fc, but it is smooth and 20 to 30 fps being smooth is good for my card. I miss the shiny water but thats ok.

XyZspineZyX
02-01-2004, 05:26 AM
OK! this is even more strange. If i start the game at the lowest res. which is 640x480 everthing very high except for textures which is at med. The demo starts at 32 fps, now i go and switch the res to 1024x768 or 1280x720 or 1280x1024 and go back to game and the frame rates stay the same!! awesome!! ican't believe it. You don't even need aa at those high res. BUT IF I START THE DEMO AT HIGH RES. the frame rates are very low like 10 or 12. So why 32 at low res starting and then switching to any and no change??

XyZspineZyX
02-02-2004, 01:07 AM
i tried it and it actually works. frame rate is generally alot smoother yet still some slow down when alot is happening on screen. anyways, awesome tip. sticky?

XyZspineZyX
02-02-2004, 02:45 AM
bump! to help ya'll out. hope it helps.

XyZspineZyX
02-02-2004, 03:47 AM
I tried it and I have a Ti 4400 128 meg and it didnt change anything for me. Still 15-20 frames a second on 1024x768. Does having Antialiasing and Asnisortophy enabled make a difference to the tric?

XyZspineZyX
02-02-2004, 09:30 AM
Dude turn off the AA and AF. With your card especially they lower your FPS a lot. AF is useless in fast paced games in my opinion, you don't even notice it really.

The trick is : start the game on lower resolution, then go to menu and change it higher.

XyZspineZyX
02-02-2004, 09:38 AM
Just wanted to say that this didn't do anything for me either (in Direct3d or Opengl). Seems to work for some and not for others... let's just hope that they fix this by release.

XyZspineZyX
02-03-2004, 03:43 AM
meridian, start with the lowest res like 640x480 then go to game menu and switch to high and see if the frame rates stay the same.