PDA

View Full Version : CPU

jak9114
08-31-2004, 06:40 PM
Anybody have a CPU go bad on them? What exactly are the symptoms of a bad CPU?

I don't think its the CPU as I am able to boot up to the bios just fine, and run programs in dos, such a memtest 86 with no problems. I always thought that with a bad CPU, the system just won't boot. But now I am so stumped, I have to look at everything.

jak9114
08-31-2004, 06:40 PM
Anybody have a CPU go bad on them? What exactly are the symptoms of a bad CPU?

I don't think its the CPU as I am able to boot up to the bios just fine, and run programs in dos, such a memtest 86 with no problems. I always thought that with a bad CPU, the system just won't boot. But now I am so stumped, I have to look at everything.

Jabroni_619
08-31-2004, 08:34 PM
What are your symptoms???

I've only had one CPU go bad on me and it just wouldn't work. No post or anything. However it is possible to have a partially working CPU.

-ABIT NF7-S (nForce2)
-Mobile Barton 2600+@2.3GHz
-Radeon 9800 Pro @ 420/380
-2x512MB Corsair XMS @ 2-2-2-11
-Audigy2 Platinum

jak9114
09-01-2004, 06:11 AM
Well, before I replaced the psu and motherboard, the system worked, then out of no where it would just stop working. Eventually, it would work again later.

After the replacement, I now can no longer install windows, on any hard drive, and the hardware monitoring feature in my bios locks up the machine.

Last night I actually realized the problem may be with the power into the house. I am subject to frequent brief losses of power. Just enough to make everything dim, or almost turn off, but not totally. I need to call the electric company I think.

ToranagaSama1
09-01-2004, 12:55 PM
You NEED to be more specific as to your syphtoms. What *precisely* occurs when your boot?

Recenlty, someone else had a similar problem.

Is the PSU and the motherboard the only things you replaced?

What is your OS?

When you try to install, what precisely occurs?

Are you formatting the HD first? If so, how are you doing so?

If the CPU was bad, you probably wouldn't be able to boot to the BIOS or run memtest, and you'd probably here some *beeps* after turning the system on.

If your OS is a "pro" version, then you may just be having a *security* issue.