PDA

View Full Version : Seriously slow on my machine, what's up?

Trek111
03-27-2004, 02:03 PM
I have 3ghz P4, 1gig DDR ram at dual channel, Geforce FX5600.

Even when ALL settings are on lowest, I get about 10 FPS....The only part of the game that I've gotten a normal FPS so far, strangly, is big camp area (SPOILER)in the pier level where you have to blow up the weapons cache.

For some reason in that whole area I get like 50 fps, eve on high GFX. If I step just a little bit out of that area, into the jungle or whatever, I go back down to 10FPS.

Can anyone help? I should be playing everything on ultra with 60FPS......

Trek111
03-27-2004, 02:03 PM

Even when ALL settings are on lowest, I get about 10 FPS....The only part of the game that I've gotten a normal FPS so far, strangly, is big camp area (SPOILER)in the pier level where you have to blow up the weapons cache.

For some reason in that whole area I get like 50 fps, eve on high GFX. If I step just a little bit out of that area, into the jungle or whatever, I go back down to 10FPS.

Can anyone help? I should be playing everything on ultra with 60FPS......

LTKennedy
03-27-2004, 02:25 PM
WOW trek....I really dont know why its so slow for you. Youre sure your settings are on low? Turn off antialias ( from your desktop not from within the game) and turn Anisotrop filter way down to 2 or 0 these will slow you down very very much if you use them with your FX5600 in this game. now make sure they are off in game aswell I guess if that didnt help.

You really arent missing in the CPU and memory department thats for sure.....try it at 1024x768 resolution if you are playing at a higher one or bump it down to 800x600....GL!

AMDxp2700
SOYO KT400 Dragonultra Platinum edition
XP pro
1gigDDR333
HD30gigHD160gigs
FX5900Ultra(53.03) DX9
SB5.1W/livedrive.LogitechZ-680
400watt ATX
X45

Psalmblaster
03-27-2004, 02:42 PM
Try firstly cranking your game to max (I suggest using a save from an area that has an inside section and large vista in proximity, for testing purposes. Then go to a high res - it shoudl be suitably slow. Then turn down one option to medium, quit and restart game, see what its like, then keep doing it until everything is at medium. If you get satisfactory results stop and play, if not then try next decent resolution down - or turn them down to Low on the same res. This approach takes time but it's worth it when youfind that sweetspot with looks and framerate.
Also make sure you have turned off any unneeded processes in background (ctrl-alt-del), it might help to use start->run->cmd->msconfig this shows what startsup on er.. startup http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif then remove anything unneeded. Might be possible to set up 2 windows logins one for gaming, another for misc, then have the gaming one run nothing but needed apps, and the other to have virus scanners and other things you might want most of the time. Hope this helps.

seinfeldrules33
03-27-2004, 02:58 PM
The game wasnt running very well for me at 1024x768. I figured meh what the hell it should be running much better so i put it up to 1280x1024 (same size as my desktop) and it improved greatly. It was something simple, but it worked.

im.Danger
03-27-2004, 08:17 PM
Try runny spybot or adaware. You may have spyware running in the background. Lay off the AA and af in your card settings. It's unnecessary and will obliterate your fps in this game. Just so you know. I have the same rig as you except a 9700 pro and your not gonna get a steady 60 fps on ultra. I don't think anyone can with the current hardware, but it usually doesn't go lower than 20fps, which is surprisingly playable. A sign of good programming.......

Xonite
03-27-2004, 09:41 PM
Yeh, i have the same problem too ppls - but i'm not to sure if its normal for me or not. I get less tha 20 frames in certain areas (in-doors with lots of lightning effects) with my current hardware.

I run the game on 1280*1024 - or i want to lol
with all setting ultra high, with 4*AA an 4*AF

I also find that even if i take off all AA and AF - the frames are still very low in the dyanmic light intensive areas.

my specs are:

P4 3.0c
9800 Pro 256mb - Cat 4.3
1gb Dual Channel DDR400
Audigy 2 ZS
120gb HD *2 - SATA, Raid 0
GA-8KNXP - 875P

Any help would be more than appreciated. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SaWGodFather
03-27-2004, 09:58 PM
Buy a better video card, your system is sweet except for that 5600fx which is a low end card when it comes to this game. A 9600 pro, 9600xt, and 9800pro 128 meg are all in the same price range, and all will give you better perfromance in Far Cry. And im not just trying to knock your card, but check out this comparison.CLICK ME! (http://www.ixbt.com/video/itogi-video/0204/itogi-video-fc-wxp-1024.html)

SwitchBlade007
03-27-2004, 11:47 PM
Hey

Just wondering what u guys think could improve performance on my rig also!

Its the following;

AMD 64bit 3200+
1024RAM
ATI 9800XT
160gb sata hd
Onboard Stormsound

I get about 30-70 fps on 1024*768 all ultra high details low anti aliasing and 2 on anti filter thingy or however u spell it. The systems already been tweaked by myself using msconfig etc, i was wondering if neone could suggest ati specific tweaks.

Cheers btw this is all pre patch 1.1!

JonnyY88
03-28-2004, 12:26 AM
hey Ive got the same thing - make sure lighting is on lowest setting... I can play with everything on very high - water on ultra high at great framerates as long as lighting is on low. You'll still get the swinging light effects but you wont see shadows flashing all over the place :-(

SwitchBlade007
03-28-2004, 02:52 AM
Hmm i've installed the patch and turned the res upto 1200*1024 and it makes little difference to my fps (mebbe slightly slower). I'll see what this lighting on low does for performance! I just need to get rid of the unsteady fps really.

gtapbando
03-28-2004, 04:19 AM
hi all

same for me too i thought in buying a sapphire radeon 9800xt 256mb would let me into the world of lag free gaming but its just not the case, its the same for battlefield vietnam too.
i'll be honest in saying that the framerate is not much better than the geforce 4 ti4200 128mb card i had in previously

msi 845e max mobo
p4 2.4 (oc'd to 2.7 vcore 1.6v stable)
1gb twin mos ddr400
audigy2
radeon 9800xt 256mb

using cats 4.2 ati not omega
just wondered do u need to totaly remove ati cats to install omega drivers or just install over the top?

friedenstaube
03-28-2004, 04:53 AM
System Spec:
Athlon XP 2700+ (2.2 ghz)
512 MB Ram / WinXP, actual patch level
Nvidia GF FX5200, 56.64 driver
Sound: Realtek AC97

1. after i did launch "autoconfigure system" (configuration program) the performance itself was lousy... so i was forced to take a look at the grafix/sound options.

2. optimize:
-> switched from 1024x768 to 800x600
-> switched "light" to low
-> switched "shadow" to low

now the game performance is excellent.

Caminante
03-28-2004, 05:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Trek111:

Can anyone help? I should be playing everything on ultra with 60FPS......<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm afraid it is your low end card. Although your systmen may has a relatively fast CPU as well as plenty of ram, it's video cards isn't as good. Apparently this game needs a top of the line video card with a high feel rate in order to be ran at the highest settings.

I know this by experince, i tried or rather overclocked my CPU with little to none fps wise improvent..

[This message was edited by Caminante on Sun March 28 2004 at 04:21 AM.]

Mobb_uk
03-28-2004, 05:18 AM
Ok guys hope some1 here can help me.specs r-barton 3200 cpu,512 ddr memory ,geforce fx 5950 ultra.The game auto-detects my comp as medium.now heres the prob,i get lots of slowdowns,i run say the loop demo,and it pauses every so often,also does it in game.I say turn around and framerate drops to single digits,then back up.

I have tried everything,from d3d and ogl,diff resolutions,turning sound/hardware down,and yet i still get this prob.Fps varies from 100+ to 20 ish,but its these pauses that r ruining it for me.

Mp i dont get these probs,card is not overclocked,and am usin the 53 set of nvidia drivers.

Spent hours trying to cure this.I should on my spec b able to run at higher res/and higher settings.Gettin a tad annoying,when i spend a lot of money to get a rig like this.

Hope u can help,

Mobb

Caminante
03-28-2004, 05:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mobb_uk:
Ok guys hope some1 here can help me.specs r-barton 3200 cpu,512 ddr memory ,geforce fx 5950 ultra.The game auto-detects my comp as medium.now heres the prob,i get lots of slowdowns,i run say the loop demo,and it pauses every so often,also does it in game.I say turn around and framerate drops to single digits,then back up.

I have tried everything,from d3d and ogl,diff resolutions,turning sound/hardware down,and yet i still get this prob.Fps varies from 100+ to 20 ish,but its these pauses that r ruining it for me.

Mp i dont get these probs,card is not overclocked,and am usin the 53 set of nvidia drivers.

Spent hours trying to cure this.I should on my spec b able to run at higher res/and higher settings.Gettin a tad annoying,when i spend a lot of money to get a rig like this.

Hope u can help,

Mobb<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your problem is quite simple. Add another 512MB or ram. I also happend to have the same problem. :haha:

SwitchBlade007
03-28-2004, 05:38 AM
Fixed my probs, i now get 50-120fps at all ultra details cept lightin n shadows which are set to high.

My rig again.
3200+ 64bit
1024ram
ati 9800xt
160gb hd sata

How did i do it?? Very simple kill everything windows runs in the background, only farcry should be runnin as a process. Next get a spyware killer it seems too help abit, sommit like search and destroy / spy sweeper. Cut all the fancy stuff outta windows fancy fading menus etc. Use the latest cat 4.3 drivers.

Finally for that extra bang defrag your hd.

Btw whats these omega drivers???

Mobb_uk
03-28-2004, 05:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>SwitchBlade007

posted Sun March 28 2004 04:38 AM
Fixed my probs, i now get 50-120fps at all ultra details cept lightin n shadows which are set to high.

My rig again.
3200+ 64bit
1024ram
ati 9800xt
160gb hd sata

How did i do it?? Very simple kill everything windows runs in the background, only farcry should be runnin as a process. Next get a spyware killer it seems too help abit, sommit like search and destroy / spy sweeper. Cut all the fancy stuff outta windows fancy fading menus etc. Use the latest cat 4.3 drivers.

Windows wont let me kill every process,so how did u manage that?

McSoup
03-28-2004, 06:10 AM
I've had not problems with the game itself - so far up to treehouse - but the graphics engine (in terms of what settings it uses) it definitely a bit glitchy.

Both of the Far Cry demos ran fine on my Vaio (laptop), P4 2.8ghz, 512mb RAM, 64mb Nvidia Go5600 (essentially an underclocked FX5600 Ultra) but the when I installed the game it ran like a dog. I set everything to low and it still ran like a dog AND now looked crap to boot.

I un-installed it, re-installed and it's now running a whole damn site better with:

Texture Quality: Medium
Texture Filter Quality: Tri
Anisotropic Filtering: 1
Particles Count: Medium
Special FX: Medium
Environment Quality: High
Shadow Quality: Low (this seems to critical for good FPS)
Water Quality: Medium
Lighting Quality: Medium

Weird.

McSoup

im.Danger
03-28-2004, 06:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SwitchBlade007:

My rig again.
3200+ 64bit
1024ram
ati 9800xt
160gb hd sata

Finally for that extra bang defrag your hd.

Btw whats these omega drivers???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Omega drivers are hacked catalyst drivers. They try to cut out all the excess crap, to maximize gaming performance. It doesn't help everyone and they're not supported by ATI officially, but I've seen ATI people suggest that people with performance issues give them a try. It can't hurt to try. If they run like poo, just reinastall the official Cats again.

SwitchBlade007
03-28-2004, 06:39 AM
**** typo i meant applications, sorry!

You can kill proccess too tho for extra perfomance just know what your shutting down first.

Neone know much about these omega drivers they seem to improve performance abit but how reliable are they since its a 3rd party set of drivers??