PDA

View Full Version : Please sort this out Ubi, it's killing Splinter Cell for me and many others..

Tiltawhirl_82
07-01-2004, 10:17 AM
It's no Ubi's fault...well not entirely, but the amount of idiots online who use double head jumping as their main tool is just out of control. Don't get me wrong, Ubi couldn't predict the amount of *******s there was gonna be playing the game, but something needs to be done.

Nearly every game I enter and play at mercenaries, there will be a at least one fool who all he does is tazer the merc then jump off a railing repeatedly to kill you. It's a pathetic tactic and one that's really spoiling the game for me and many others. It's not even realistic, don't ge me wrong jumping from a massive height onto someones head is gonna do them serious damaged if not kill them, but when you get people jumping off tables and railings that are at the most 2 ft off the ground and killing you it just gets ******ed. You can't use stairs and escalators to get around the levels these days for fear of some twunt tazering you then jumping your head. The way once you get up you have no way of recovering because the tw*t will jump on your head straight away is just stupid.

Maybe make it so you get different types of damage from different heights will sort it out. A really high height should knock you out, but a small height should maybe just mess up your radar or something. Ubi something really needs to be done about this, it's getting to the point where I don't want to play online anymore because it's just too damn annoying, specially when the other team start boasing about how they owned you and don't seem to recognize such tactics as pathetic and cheap.

Oh and another request, any chance of hiding levels so people don't see them when they join your server. Don't get me wrong it's a good way of warning off newbies from high level servers but at the same time no-one joins my server because they're too busy looking for noob servers to go beat up on. I'm only a level 5 and it's nearly impossible for me to get people in my servers, they just stay well away because I'm a higher rank. Oh and it would be nice to let us use revenge mode again, I rarely ever get to play spies these days as people just leave once they've played, maybe make it so unless they stick around for spies and merc then they loose points and get a penalty.

Tiltawhirl_82
07-01-2004, 10:17 AM
It's no Ubi's fault...well not entirely, but the amount of idiots online who use double head jumping as their main tool is just out of control. Don't get me wrong, Ubi couldn't predict the amount of *******s there was gonna be playing the game, but something needs to be done.

Nearly every game I enter and play at mercenaries, there will be a at least one fool who all he does is tazer the merc then jump off a railing repeatedly to kill you. It's a pathetic tactic and one that's really spoiling the game for me and many others. It's not even realistic, don't ge me wrong jumping from a massive height onto someones head is gonna do them serious damaged if not kill them, but when you get people jumping off tables and railings that are at the most 2 ft off the ground and killing you it just gets ******ed. You can't use stairs and escalators to get around the levels these days for fear of some twunt tazering you then jumping your head. The way once you get up you have no way of recovering because the tw*t will jump on your head straight away is just stupid.

Maybe make it so you get different types of damage from different heights will sort it out. A really high height should knock you out, but a small height should maybe just mess up your radar or something. Ubi something really needs to be done about this, it's getting to the point where I don't want to play online anymore because it's just too damn annoying, specially when the other team start boasing about how they owned you and don't seem to recognize such tactics as pathetic and cheap.

Oh and another request, any chance of hiding levels so people don't see them when they join your server. Don't get me wrong it's a good way of warning off newbies from high level servers but at the same time no-one joins my server because they're too busy looking for noob servers to go beat up on. I'm only a level 5 and it's nearly impossible for me to get people in my servers, they just stay well away because I'm a higher rank. Oh and it would be nice to let us use revenge mode again, I rarely ever get to play spies these days as people just leave once they've played, maybe make it so unless they stick around for spies and merc then they loose points and get a penalty.

sr6376
07-01-2004, 10:33 AM
Here's my thoughts about the whole "nobody joins my server" thing that we all have to deal with:

You have people who should be ranked 3 or above, but what do they do? They keep giving themselves penalties because nobody will join a room above a level 2. So, now within the level 0 to 2 ranks, you have the ENTIRE spectrum of talent. I am a level 3, my brother is a level 3, if he hosts, we sit in the room for 20 mins. and nobody will join. If he drops his level to 2, then the room fills within a minute, TOPS..

So, I think that someones RANK should not be able to be tampered with. The rank and the penalties should be kept separate, AND they both should be shown in the lobby.

What will this do? It will show someones basic talent as it is (unless they want to waste their own time and lose 10 straight games just to go down a rank by losing points per game). Then, it will also show everyone in the room if someone has an abnormally high amount of penalties. If they do, the host can boot them, etc.

With the original stat system, atleast people joined the higher ranked rooms because for the most part, it was a general representation of someones skills. But now, with the ability of people to change their ranks with penalties, it has become a joke!

How many times have you joined a room, hosted by a level 2, and his partner is a level 8. Why do you think this is? I know for certain, in MOST cases it is because the host just keeps himself in that rank with penalties, while he is actually a level 8 or so just like his friend.

MrBisto
07-01-2004, 10:46 AM
Sounds good to me.

----------------------------------------------------------

GamerTag 1: DJToot

Available in Amped 2, Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, Race Driver 2, Crimson Skies, Rainbow Six 3 and PGR 2

sr6376
07-01-2004, 10:54 AM
I do like it. It makes sense, but I don't know how much trouble it would be to implement it. Who knows if they even care about the whole problem with players doing what they do with scores.....

I just don't see any problems with this scoring setup, looking at it from multiple angles.

Heck, it would probably stop the majority of people from leaving ranked games in the middle because the next room they join, they may be booted for it...

SISC
07-01-2004, 12:50 PM
Here is my solution:

Get rid of rankings...completely. I'm serious. They are not needed and they are not accurate. No one has developed a stat/ranking system for any console game that is truly accurate and not abusable (usually abused by time).

Most people wouldn't be for this idea, because god for bid we get rid of their precious ranking. I mean being ranked high in a videogame is their prime goal in life.

I'm a serious gamer, a hardcore gamer, but I play games to have fun. And in every other game, you have no clue how good anyone is. So if anything, they should drop the idea of showing the ranking within the lobby. Ubi probably envisioned it as a way of making things fair, but it just makes it harder to play games. Get rid of it. No other games shows you the ranking of someone you're playing.

I also have another idea... I think Ubi should adopt the type of system Warcraft 3 has. They do tell you what peoples rankings are, but for ranked games you are not allowed to pick the match you want to join. Instead you are automatcially put into a game. I think this would make things fair and speed up the time it takes to get into a game. If the system was modified for SC:PT, I think it could work. You could even create a "team", so that you and a friend are put into the same room (in Warcraft 3 its called "Arranged Teams" I believe).

And thats my 2 cents.

FXH Reaper
07-01-2004, 03:38 PM
that sounds good, but the reason they do this double jumping is because they lack skill and i just tell them no double jumping and if they do i just ban them

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v239/SillentAssault/sig.gif
one shot one kill sniper(+)

Gamedude_BE
07-01-2004, 04:36 PM
@ SISC: In my opinion ranking needs to stay, I know in any game where ranking is... people will abuse it but hey! you don't need to punish the players who are playing ranking games like it should have been: stealthy, no double jump, not using glitches.
If you would stop ranking you would punish those gamers who likes to play ranking games without playing lame, that's not correct imho.
You ask me why I love ranking? In ranking there is a feel of tense, adrenaline through you because you're playing for something.. for points!
And yes I know those points doesn't mean anything, but it's much more fun imho when I win a ranked game than a free game.

@ Tiltawhirl_82: I know your frustration about those double jump kills dude, been there done that. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
The thing is, you need to find people who are playing normal, who are playing like you do... If you want to play some matches against me and my partner, add me into your friendslist: Gamedude BE http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
I swear I will not double jump and we play fair. ^^

DisTurBeD_MuNkY
07-01-2004, 04:56 PM
I don't mind too much about the ranking, only thing that bothers me is the glitches.. I hate that people can cheat to get their rank up, its aweful. Personally I think its satisfying when, someone whos say level 3 comes into my room and say she has a partner coming, whos mabye level 9.. then me (level 3) and my partner at the same level beat them.. which isn't because we hide our rank or anything, we just don't bother too much about playing to get up.. hell, check my penalties thing, its at 1 or something.

Also, on the double jump issue, as much as I hate it happening to me, I don't mind too much, because usually if it happens then I'll just call on my partner and he'll kill whoever is waiting to jump on me again, or if hes too far for it, the person doing the jumping isn't always close enough to get to an ND133 and its not so big a deal, I get back and kill them.. Personally it doesn't bother me, and I admit, I've done it a couple times myself - however, I've never tasered someone and then jumped off a fairly low object.. whenever I jump on someone its been off a stack of boxes or something like that, and its usually just been an opportune moment.. they've ran past as I've been heading somewhere and so I just took the chance to knock them out.

That said, I would like to see some kind of brief immunity to a second jump, if even it only lasted like 3 seconds.

\¯\/¯/ |¯|)¯) /¯/\¯\ \¯\/¯/
Gamertag: Digger21
/_/\_\ |_|)_) \_\/_/ /_/\_\

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/6307/sig77.jpg

SISC
07-01-2004, 04:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gamedude_BE:
@ SISC: In my opinion ranking needs to stay, I know in any game where ranking is... people will abuse it but hey! you don't need to punish the players who are playing ranking games like it should have been: stealthy, no double jump, not using glitches.
If you would stop ranking you would punish those gamers who likes to play ranking games without playing lame, that's not correct imho.
You ask me why I love ranking? In ranking there is a feel of tense, adrenaline through you because you're playing for something.. for points!
And yes I know those points doesn't mean anything, but it's much more fun imho when I win a ranked game than a free game.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Adopting a Warcraft 3 like system would keep rankings and be beneficial in others ways IMHO.

I still can't see a ranking game being more fun just because you get points out of it. You contradict yourself as well. You say points don't mean anything, but its funner to play a ranked game because you get points. So its funner to play a game that is exactly the same as a free game except you get meaningless points for winning one and nothing for winning another?

PS I know "funner" is not a word. But I like it anyways. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

TheThumb
07-01-2004, 05:40 PM
Yeah, the ranking in this game is definatly broken at the moment, and I wouldn't care if they got rid of it. I still join ranked games just because I know for a fact that it wont be another game of death match.

---------------
XBox Gamertag: The Human Thumb

rdb420
07-01-2004, 05:55 PM
heres a suggestion: why not make tag and deathmatch seperate modes so the people who want to play these games can choose them from the optimatch, and the people who do not will not waste time entering these games? also on the double jump issue, i hate it when it happens to me also, and do not use it unless someone uses it on me first but, as far as im concerned it's no different than a merc tazeing a spy and the killing them when they are knocked out. it's just part of the game, i just try not to let them jump on my head in the first place. if they do manage to jump on me the first time, as soon as i wake up i use the charge and they miss me about 50% of the time.

leadright
07-01-2004, 08:22 PM
i agree that the ranking system is a bit janky, but why not let the kids have their fun? if someone's playing the game just for the rank then let them.

personally, i think the ranking system would be greatly improved if you could toggle rank with games played, percentage of games won, or amount of time spent playing the game.

i have no problem with the ranking system, as is, because i opt to ignore it when sizing up my opponents.

Travesty
07-01-2004, 11:34 PM
In response to the double-jumping issue:

I agree that it is unrealistic for a guy to kill you by jumping on you from a table two times. I think that unless the spy is jumping from a height above the merc's head, the merc should only be stunned. The merc could be stunned two or three times as long as if he had been elbowed from the front. This means that he would be knocked back but still on his feet.

"The reverse to faith is not reason, but superstition!"
- Gennaro Preziuso

"The Holy Eucharist is the greatest treasure that the Church has on earth: It is Christ himself."
- Cardinal Arinze The Holy Eucharist at EWTN (http://www.ewtn.com/faith/teachings/euchmenu.htm)

Gamertag: Travesty

Mr-Herer
07-03-2004, 06:44 AM
I rank down purposefully on a regular basis myself. I just hit lvl 4 again last night, so as soon as I find a bunch of mates again I'm gonna drop back down to two. I usually drop to two, then go up through 3 and then revert on 4. Before I started doing this it was not uncommon to have to wait up to 2 and a half hours just for someone to enter the game and then leave before we even filled the room.

I most certainly wouldn't be sorry to see the ranking system done away with completely. Hell, ranking is the single greatest cause for cheaters in games anyway.

kingsadist
07-03-2004, 01:00 PM
^Well said. The 'wealth' of problems that the ranking system brings with it just so the more competitive among us can stroke and nurture their ego's by taking advantage of its flaws is just not worth is. Half of the time, even Free servers are servers waiting to be filled and then turned into ranked games at the last second. Because of this, I havent played in nearly a week; it just puts me off.

As for the double-jumping, I would like to direct you to the other two topics on this matter, one made by myself and another one, both about 10 pages long and half-filled with nonsense; its a discussion doomed to failure, Im sorry to say.

videogamer1224
07-05-2004, 12:28 AM
I wish that when people are searching in optimatch itdoesn't show the level of the person. The best thing would be that you cant see anyone's level except for you and your partner. Then everyone wouldn't know who their partnr is and it would put people into games a lot faster. And as for the double jumping thing you know that when you get shocked and if someone shoots a sticky and releases the gas you have about 3 seconds to get away. They should have the same thing for Double jumping. It should be that if someone is knocked out there are 3 seconds when he wakes up where they cant jump on him. This would make the game more fun and more stealthy.

Video Games are meant for fantasy world only. If video games were like real life we would all be screwed.

Duff182
07-05-2004, 01:10 AM
That's why u have the other merc back u up when ur down...

MrBisto
07-05-2004, 04:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gamedude_BE:

I swear I will not double jump and we play fair. ^^<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

he won't double jump you but hi partner will http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I've been double jumped twice by you guys. Once in the hospital and once somewhere else http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Naughty man.

Available in Amped 2, Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, Race Driver 2, Crimson Skies, Rainbow Six 3 and PGR 2

MrBisto
07-05-2004, 04:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by videogamer1224:
I wish that when people are searching in optimatch itdoesn't show the level of the person. The best thing would be that you cant see anyone's level except for you and your partner. Then everyone wouldn't know who their partnr is and it would put people into games a lot faster.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But then you may as well get rid of ranking. The point of ranking is not necessarily to just have a leaderboard but also to be able to select competition according to your skill.

As a level 4, I just can't play against 0's anymore. Why? Because I only win 6 points but lose 14 if I get beaten. Why, as a level 4, am I being beaten by level 0's you ask? Because of you people that rank up then deliberately drop your rank on purpose and are much better than you are claiming to be. With the rank, I can now say i won't play lower levels because it is too risky. its either no challenge or too much of a caning. If I play a level 4, the chances are we are closely matched. Not all the time but more often than not I expect.

PAKMAN52SE
07-05-2004, 07:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Duff182:
That's why u have the other merc back u up when ur down...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'd lose a few ND133s on V ertigo if that happened.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/images/320-Ford-GT-Concept-Yellow-Black.jpg
From the show Father Ted
Mrs. Doyle: Would ya like some tea
Delivery Guy: Oh, no thanks, there's a 70% chance it'd kill me
Mrs. Doyle: I'll make some anyway

GT:shadow eclipse and pakman 52

rikakiah
07-06-2004, 12:31 AM
What's wrong with replacing the ranking system with a simple stats page? It should keep merc and spy stats separate. Besides inlcuding the number of games played/won/lost, it would also include KO's and ND's neutralized/returned for spies. This way, if you see a spy with 100 games played, 90 won, 223 kills, and 0 ND's neutralized, you know to either stay away or come in with a light trigger and your tazer hot... You see a spy with 100 games, 85 wins, 0 kills, 10 KO's, and 102 neutralizations, you know you're going to have an intense cat and mouse game going. As it is, both of these players could be displayed as the same level, but would in reality, be entirely different.

-"...that general is skillful in attack whose opponent does not know what to defend; and he is skillful in defense whose opponent does not know what to attack." -Sun Tzu Wu

MrBisto
07-06-2004, 05:06 AM
I like the sound of that a lot.

I'd still like an ELO based ranking system however as so many wins can be got by just playing new players who don't know what they are doing.