PDA

View Full Version : I have an idea

hapder
06-04-2004, 09:43 PM
I would say I'm an ok player, but it seems like everyone is so much better than me and partner. I'd say our win rate is maybe thirty percent. If we play people that don't know the level as well as we do, or if they are new, we can win really easily. But so many people we play just seem to be experts and it gets really frustrating. I was thinking about maybe trying to start a self ranking thing. The most fun games are when you're playing with someone about your skill level you know? If they're a lot better than you and can pretty much kill you right when you spawn, the game gets really frustrating. But if you play people and completely destroy them, it's just an empty victory, and me and my partner sometimes feel bad for them, like we used them or something. I was thinking if we all self ranked ourselves we could then find people of equal skill. I know most of you would probably not want a ranking system like the xbox has because people try to cheat to increase their ranks. But ours would be self ranked, you can't earn your next level really so you can't really cheat. Plus if say they're a level 10 and you're a level 1 and they join your server and completely waste you, you can always blacklist them (but only because they decided to abuse the system by knowingly play people a whole lot worse than they are just to prey on the newbies). And the way you could increase your level is, let's say you're a level three, you could join a level four server and if you routinely beat them, you could then rank yourself as a level 4(or 5) and since you're ranking yourself, you don't gain anything by ranking yourself a whole lot more (like if you joined a level 10 game, you'd totally get owned). Plus unlike the xbox, this ranking wouldn't be to see who the best is, but to just be able to find people about the same skill level as those games tend to produce the most fun (like there's nothing better than decontaminating the last nd133 at the very last second, and there's nothign worse then not even being able to get enar them because they're so much better than you are and you can't really learn how to get around them since if you tried a new tactic, you'd probably get wasted). So that's my idea. I'm sure a lot of you are probably thinking it's not a good one, but since it's all self ranked you don't have to participate. I can't really think of any downsides (like i mentioned before, you can't really cheat by increasing your rank yourself, especially since you'd play people a whole lot better than you are; no one would even know your rank since you do all the ranking yourself) and the upside is always being able to find servers with people of your own skill level. I guess one question could be, what if your definition of level 1 is different than another person's? Well you play them and the winner becomes a level 2. We all start at the bottom and continue increasing our own levels until we reach a point where everyone who is at that level routinely beats us. So that's it I guess. We could then say that every ranked game starts off as L1 (meaning level 1) so you could have a level called 'L3: Death From Above' as a server name and everyone would know what level it is and plus you could still name it whatever you want. I'm sure most of you probably didn't even read this far, but I think it's a good idea. If you guys see a flaw, just let me know.

hapder
06-04-2004, 09:43 PM
I would say I'm an ok player, but it seems like everyone is so much better than me and partner. I'd say our win rate is maybe thirty percent. If we play people that don't know the level as well as we do, or if they are new, we can win really easily. But so many people we play just seem to be experts and it gets really frustrating. I was thinking about maybe trying to start a self ranking thing. The most fun games are when you're playing with someone about your skill level you know? If they're a lot better than you and can pretty much kill you right when you spawn, the game gets really frustrating. But if you play people and completely destroy them, it's just an empty victory, and me and my partner sometimes feel bad for them, like we used them or something. I was thinking if we all self ranked ourselves we could then find people of equal skill. I know most of you would probably not want a ranking system like the xbox has because people try to cheat to increase their ranks. But ours would be self ranked, you can't earn your next level really so you can't really cheat. Plus if say they're a level 10 and you're a level 1 and they join your server and completely waste you, you can always blacklist them (but only because they decided to abuse the system by knowingly play people a whole lot worse than they are just to prey on the newbies). And the way you could increase your level is, let's say you're a level three, you could join a level four server and if you routinely beat them, you could then rank yourself as a level 4(or 5) and since you're ranking yourself, you don't gain anything by ranking yourself a whole lot more (like if you joined a level 10 game, you'd totally get owned). Plus unlike the xbox, this ranking wouldn't be to see who the best is, but to just be able to find people about the same skill level as those games tend to produce the most fun (like there's nothing better than decontaminating the last nd133 at the very last second, and there's nothign worse then not even being able to get enar them because they're so much better than you are and you can't really learn how to get around them since if you tried a new tactic, you'd probably get wasted). So that's my idea. I'm sure a lot of you are probably thinking it's not a good one, but since it's all self ranked you don't have to participate. I can't really think of any downsides (like i mentioned before, you can't really cheat by increasing your rank yourself, especially since you'd play people a whole lot better than you are; no one would even know your rank since you do all the ranking yourself) and the upside is always being able to find servers with people of your own skill level. I guess one question could be, what if your definition of level 1 is different than another person's? Well you play them and the winner becomes a level 2. We all start at the bottom and continue increasing our own levels until we reach a point where everyone who is at that level routinely beats us. So that's it I guess. We could then say that every ranked game starts off as L1 (meaning level 1) so you could have a level called 'L3: Death From Above' as a server name and everyone would know what level it is and plus you could still name it whatever you want. I'm sure most of you probably didn't even read this far, but I think it's a good idea. If you guys see a flaw, just let me know.

aec1880
06-04-2004, 11:55 PM
This sounds like a good idea. This level system would help to pick out people who aren't noobs but say they are on their servers. It would make the game more enjoyable by having people that are the same level because you'll be able to learn more instead of having your but handed to you buy people who are pros. I mean what's fun about not being able to get out of your spawn point as spy.

Iryxian
06-05-2004, 01:02 AM
That just wouldnt work...

-------------
Is it late 2004 yet?
...Damn Spies
GT:ISA-Iryxian

Dabest9102-
06-05-2004, 01:04 AM
That sounds like A great idea people should start doing it

Destructo_Bot
06-05-2004, 02:30 AM
Paragraphs! Please! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/53.gif

-----------------------
http://216.193.194.109/images/OffSite/hump.gif

SITHDUKE
06-05-2004, 05:52 AM
So much writing i just skimmed it. Heres the thing if someone who wins alot rates himself LV6 but someone who onlt rated themselfes LV3 comes along and woops their butt. Where does that leave this LV6 :S Thats the kinda problems i'd imagine.

http://sithduke.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sigsith.psd.jpg
-------------------------
"Can ve paint zem gowld? It's kinda me sing ya?"
*Beeeeeeep-Beeeeeeep*
"How About Nooooo?! You crazy dutch *******"

My all time favourite qoute http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

And Remember...
Just your friendly Sith posting again ^_^

reptltd
06-07-2004, 03:38 PM
I was thinking about this (since I'd like to find people of my own skill level) if what you said happened, the level 3 guy could then promote themselves to level 4, the level 6 guy could demote themself to level 5. It's a continually self correcting process. Eventually they'd arrive at the right level for themselves.

Like if that level 6 guy was an aberration. In fact, according to everyone else, that level 3 guy is really a level 3. Well since he beat the level 6 guy he would promote himself to level 4 and play other level 4's. He'd then realize that he isn't that good and he'd go back to level 3. The level 6 guy would demote himself to level 5. Then he'd realize he's not that good and he'd go to level 4, all the way down until he reaches level 2 or level 1.

I think it would work if everyone did it. Obviously the first couple of weeks everyone will be ranking themselves slightly off, but after a short while things should become fairly accurate level wise.

The only reason I think it wouldn't work is if no one does it, and I think that'll be why this never works. I hope I didn't misunderstand hapder's system. It was just how I was thinking it would work.

Great idea, but it means actual participation from more then ten people, which I doubt will happen. But I think it's worth a shot. If I find some L2 servers, I'll be sure to join (since I'm not that good).