PDA

View Full Version : I am a multiplayer idiot, I know

jak9114
09-01-2004, 11:32 AM
Alright, being as I just got a high speed connection recently, I want to try a little multiplayer. I know that you want a low ping, and my little experience shows that mine is somewhere around 50-80 or so. The couple of games I have played (Far Cry, COD, Doom3) seem to play pretty well, with no real lag problems. But what the hell is a ping? And what other technical things do I need to know to avoid a laggy MP.

jak9114
09-01-2004, 11:32 AM
Alright, being as I just got a high speed connection recently, I want to try a little multiplayer. I know that you want a low ping, and my little experience shows that mine is somewhere around 50-80 or so. The couple of games I have played (Far Cry, COD, Doom3) seem to play pretty well, with no real lag problems. But what the hell is a ping? And what other technical things do I need to know to avoid a laggy MP.

fabulouscoops
09-01-2004, 12:00 PM
Think of a ping as a sonar signal from a sub. The ping goes out and pongs off the server and returns. The ping is the time it takes to do a round trip. The lower, the better. The only thing you can do is use a higher speed internet connection - done. and choose a server that is physically close to you (ie., the ones with the low ping).
Lag is caused by peeps who log on and have a high ping or a large number of peeps using the same server - both out of your control.