PDA

View Full Version : Improved server status screen?

Odysseus
01-18-2004, 08:00 PM
It would be nice if there was a server status screen available that would give minute-by-minute status info available, so that players can visit it and realize that there is no point playing at the moment. I can think of a lot of stuff that could be put on there, here's a list of what I can come up with at the moment. (based mostly on today's experiences)

Update servers: load condition (used to update the client, hasn't been *too* many problems here, other than occasional "cannot update three times")
Vault: load condition (used to save your game, required for linking and starting Uru)
Lobby: load condition (causes screen to blank during "Finding Age" message?)
Relto: load condition (causes auth resp failures when logging in or panic linking. If you link in, books in library will not work)
Ages: is it likely that I can link into the Baron's office within the next hour? Neighborhoods? Ae'gera?

I recognize that a lot of this is guesswork and not related to how your system is really setup, and I also realize that my issues today were due to my stupid decision to try to enter Uru on a Sunday, but it would be useful in my opinion to have a page like this available. That way (1) if we crash miserably we will know that it's not our computer and that we shouldn't try again (for instance when the Vault goes down), and (2) gives us a way for people like us to know whether Uru is available, other than logging in every half hour or so.

I do recognize the work that you have found yourself in and have every belief that these issues, while they won't go away, will be reduced to much more manageable levels fairly soon. I'm just looking for ways to improve this situation for myself, and this is what I would appreciate.

Odysseus
01-18-2004, 08:00 PM
It would be nice if there was a server status screen available that would give minute-by-minute status info available, so that players can visit it and realize that there is no point playing at the moment. I can think of a lot of stuff that could be put on there, here's a list of what I can come up with at the moment. (based mostly on today's experiences)

Update servers: load condition (used to update the client, hasn't been *too* many problems here, other than occasional "cannot update three times")
Vault: load condition (used to save your game, required for linking and starting Uru)
Lobby: load condition (causes screen to blank during "Finding Age" message?)
Relto: load condition (causes auth resp failures when logging in or panic linking. If you link in, books in library will not work)
Ages: is it likely that I can link into the Baron's office within the next hour? Neighborhoods? Ae'gera?

I recognize that a lot of this is guesswork and not related to how your system is really setup, and I also realize that my issues today were due to my stupid decision to try to enter Uru on a Sunday, but it would be useful in my opinion to have a page like this available. That way (1) if we crash miserably we will know that it's not our computer and that we shouldn't try again (for instance when the Vault goes down), and (2) gives us a way for people like us to know whether Uru is available, other than logging in every half hour or so.

I do recognize the work that you have found yourself in and have every belief that these issues, while they won't go away, will be reduced to much more manageable levels fairly soon. I'm just looking for ways to improve this situation for myself, and this is what I would appreciate.

maztec
01-18-2004, 08:09 PM
They are currently working on improved server status information, along with game status information.

Now, for the specific load condition of each age.. I suspect you're going to be stuck with going to the Nexus for htat. It's really not feasible to make that available IMO.

But we'll see http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

maz

Odysseus
01-18-2004, 09:08 PM
Thank you for your quick response.

My only modification would be to point out that not all shared areas are listed in the Nexus; I have received auth failures from attempting to link to Ages that are only available through my Great Tree book in Relto, I can only guess that they had too many people in them (although I have met people in there myself)