PDA

View Full Version : Howitzers shoot at anything?

Captain_Avatar
03-11-2004, 06:27 PM
Do the howitzers (under artillery) actually shoot at anything? I've never seen them move or fire at all. Also will artillery fire at ships? I've set up a mission where the Tirpitz slides through a narrow channel that is flanked with 152mm, 88mm, 85mm, SU-76-85-100-152s and none of them fire at the ship even though it is in range.

Captain_Avatar
03-11-2004, 06:27 PM
Do the howitzers (under artillery) actually shoot at anything? I've never seen them move or fire at all. Also will artillery fire at ships? I've set up a mission where the Tirpitz slides through a narrow channel that is flanked with 152mm, 88mm, 85mm, SU-76-85-100-152s and none of them fire at the ship even though it is in range.

Aviar
03-11-2004, 09:40 PM
Yes, they do shoot. I've even sunk ships with them. Not enough information as to why it's not working for you.

Are you pointing them at the target? Are the guns within firing range? Have you placed a static camera near the guns to see if they are firing?

Aviar

--------------------------
AMD XP 2600+
EPoX EP-8K9AI Mobo
1536Mb DDR PC 2100 RAM
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
SoundBlaster Audigy 2
Klipsch 5.1 THX Certified Speakers
CH FighterStick USB
CH Pro Throttle USB
CH Pro Pedals USB
Thrustmaster Tacticalboard

Captain_Avatar
03-12-2004, 08:56 AM
Yes, the guns are within range of the ships and I've got a camera on them. The ships in question are the Tirpitz and an "M" boat. I know the guns can reach the ship since the Tirpitz is shooting at them with it's seondary and tertiary batteries. I even placed some howitzers on islands less than a kilometer away from the ship and they fail to fire. The guns are lined up on the ship and the line of site is clear, but they remain silent. It seems I can only get other ships and aircrat to fire at them.

Maybe I can do some test missions and see what I can find out.....

jtasker
03-12-2004, 03:53 PM
Maybe the gunners are wise enough to know how much of a mistake it would be for a 150mm to fire at the Tirpitz http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Aviar
03-12-2004, 05:17 PM
I just created A quick test mission and the arty is shooting at the ship....you probably have them too far away.

I used the Tirpitz vs 152mm and 76mm Russian artillery. Don't blink, or you may miss the battle though. I placed 5 artillery pieces near the ship and they were all destroyed within 30 seconds. But, I did see them shooting and the shells splashing near the Tirpitz.

My guess is that you are simply placing the arty too far away from their target. Either that or you accidentally placed static objects instead of actual 'Artillery'.

Aviar

AMD XP 2600+
EPoX EP-8K9AI Mobo
1536Mb DDR PC 2100 RAM
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
SoundBlaster Audigy 2
CH FighterStick USB
CH Pro Throttle USB
CH Pro Pedals USB

RxMan
03-13-2004, 07:27 AM
Also be aware, their (artillery) rate of fire is extremely slow when compared to ship fire, I put 6 fairly close to the Tirpitz, 3 were destroyed before any got off a shot, the other 3 before their second shot. A greater distance helps as the ship is not as accurate, just wish anything would shoot over hills or even molehills. If they don't see it they won't shoot.

Captain_Avatar
03-13-2004, 10:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RxMan:
Also be aware, their (artillery) rate of fire is extremely slow when compared to ship fire, I put 6 fairly close to the Tirpitz, 3 were destroyed before any got off a shot, the other 3 before their second shot. A greater distance helps as the ship is not as accurate, just wish anything would shoot over hills or even molehills. If they don't see it they won't shoot.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, I made the Tirpitz start the mission a little closer to the artillery and they do shoot. 88's, 85's, 20mm's, etc... But Armor,Stationary Armor, and mobile guns under artillery (SU's) won't fire. Shame about the SU152s since they can take a lot of near misses that would kill regular artillery.

Rata18
03-21-2004, 06:18 AM
Try adding obs balloons - they appear to improve the ability of arty to engage..

Aviar
03-21-2004, 11:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rata18:
Try adding obs balloons - they appear to improve the ability of arty to engage..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, but that is not true. This seems to be a kind of 'urban myth' concerning the FMB and observation balloons, but has been proven to be false.

If you do a little search, you may find a thread from a few weeks ago I was involved in concerning this very point.

Don't get me wrong...I wish it WERE true. It would add some interesting options to certain missions.

Aviar

AMD XP 2600+
EPoX EP-8K9AI Mobo
1536Mb DDR PC 2100 RAM
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
SoundBlaster Audigy 2
CH FighterStick USB
CH Pro Throttle USB
CH Pro Pedals USB