PDA

View Full Version : wild tangent softare?

mrmetal_53
04-25-2004, 01:15 PM
what is wild tangent and what does it pertain to on a computer? thanx for any help

-----------------------------
its true that one can change the world
a savior to mankind
but what if while you were busy
someone was left behind?

mrmetal_53
04-25-2004, 01:15 PM
what is wild tangent and what does it pertain to on a computer? thanx for any help

a savior to mankind
someone was left behind?

daREALhomercles
04-25-2004, 01:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrmetal_53:
what is wild tangent and what does it pertain to on a computer? thanx for any help<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its a plugin for your web browser. Graphics related. Totally innocuous if you thought it was. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

--------------------------------------------

I hope Kimi doesnt edit this for "flaming"....

mrmetal_53
04-25-2004, 01:33 PM
oh, ok, well thank you very much. heard some nasty stuff about it and i found it on my comp, so me being the paranoid person that i am, i wanted it gone. since i dont use it nor could i think of anything that i use that does use it, i said erased it.

also, when i open task manager, i must have somehting around 20 processes (at least) running. is there a place where i can find out what processes i need and what processes i dont need, so i can terminate them? thanx man

a savior to mankind
someone was left behind?

daREALhomercles
04-25-2004, 03:07 PM
Go to Run -&gt; msconfig -&gt; start up -&gt; disable all. This will disable all "unnecessary" procs that eat memory at start up. You could also fiddle about with the services tab. Caution advised though. If youre feeling ballsy you could go to start -&gt; administrative tools -&gt; services. Right click on a given service and you can disable it. *CAUTION* stopping a necessary service could lead to a FULL REFORMAT! No BS here!

to answer your Q that i didnt. To find out what procs you need just do the CTRL+ALT+DEL and bring up the task manager. Got to the processes tab. Highlight a proc and click "end process." If windows "needs" that proc it will NOT let you stop it. Simple, yet tedious.

--------------------------------------------

I hope Kimi doesnt edit this for "flaming"....

PooterMan1
04-25-2004, 06:41 PM
wild tangent=spyware
theres a big discussion of it at:
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/39958

I'd prefer not to have yet another process running in the background sending out information about what I do no matter how innoc..inoccu...innocent it's 'supposed' to be.

Happy Trails
PooterMan

toneitdown
05-01-2004, 06:12 PM
good site if you wanna tweak your system, but read carefully and understand each of the items before disabling..

http://www.blackviper.com/

mrmetal_53
05-02-2004, 12:04 PM
thank you very much for your reply guys. i will check out all the stuff you have told me. thanx a lot

a savior to mankind
someone was left behind?