PDA

View Full Version : Movie Quality

Markov_4IAP_CO
02-09-2004, 05:08 PM
S!

I have viewed many great movies such as "Bf109 Legend" from JG53 Gutted, and I noticed how much better their quality was from mine. What I am currently using now is Fraps 2.0 for my capture device, and Windows MovieMaker2 for my editing tool. The problems are that it seems like the quality isn't that high on visual details in the game. I realize that there are many settings to save your movie in the quality menu of MovieMaker however I have been saving them to just about as great as it gets but it still doesn't seem to make it as great of quality as many of the other movies I have seen. However, it might just be me since all of my FB settings are set to highest and I save my movie file for Broadband.

However, the main thing I'm worried about is the resolution of my movie. The only resolution I think that MovieMaker2 allows me to save as is in 320x240 pixels. However, I've noticed many movies have larger resolution but maintain very clean graphics that appear to be made by MovieMaker2 such as "Bf109 Legend".

Is there anyway to clean up and enhance the graphics detail and also is there any way for me to have a higher resolution movie by still using MovieMaker2 or any other free movie editing program?

Markov_4IAP_CO
02-09-2004, 05:08 PM
S!

I have viewed many great movies such as "Bf109 Legend" from JG53 Gutted, and I noticed how much better their quality was from mine. What I am currently using now is Fraps 2.0 for my capture device, and Windows MovieMaker2 for my editing tool. The problems are that it seems like the quality isn't that high on visual details in the game. I realize that there are many settings to save your movie in the quality menu of MovieMaker however I have been saving them to just about as great as it gets but it still doesn't seem to make it as great of quality as many of the other movies I have seen. However, it might just be me since all of my FB settings are set to highest and I save my movie file for Broadband.

However, the main thing I'm worried about is the resolution of my movie. The only resolution I think that MovieMaker2 allows me to save as is in 320x240 pixels. However, I've noticed many movies have larger resolution but maintain very clean graphics that appear to be made by MovieMaker2 such as "Bf109 Legend".

Is there anyway to clean up and enhance the graphics detail and also is there any way for me to have a higher resolution movie by still using MovieMaker2 or any other free movie editing program?

JG53_Gutted
02-09-2004, 08:38 PM
hey,

i use fraps 2.0 and moviemaker2 also,

when you save it, select:

"best quality for playback on my computer"

----------------------------------------------
www.jg53.com (http://www.jg53.com)
http://home.sw.rr.com/gutted/gutted_jg53.gif

My IL2 movies:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Legend (http://www.netwings.org/library/Forgotten_Battles/Videos/index-2.html) (39mb)
<LI>SuperBeast (http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~chapman/flightsims/oberstguncam/Movies/SuperBeast.wmv) (30.6mb)
[/list]

Markov_4IAP_CO
02-10-2004, 04:00 PM
Sounds good, thanks Gutted. But what settings do you have set for recording in Fraps and how did you get your movie, "Legend" to have a resolution higher than 320x240 pixels?

deepo_HP
02-10-2004, 10:21 PM
hi markov,

you can set 'fraps' to 'record full size' and 'il2-fb' to play in windowed mode (which can give you more, sometimes less fps than fullsize, depends a little) at 800x600 or 640x480. this is due to your hard-drive and general system-capabilities (the game has to render the replay, fraps to compress and save, the hard-drive to give it's best not to drop frames). anyway you may be able to set the grafics of the game to 'excellent' at 640x480 for example.
the tricky part is when you edit the 'frapsed' avi. with windows-movie maker you will always go for a final wmv-output. although wmv9 is a pretty good codec, the container-format '.wmv' is a proprietary one and for postproduction (like resizing, recoding, colour-processing) pretty worse, since you always have to go back to windows media encoder or movie maker. also the choices for the export quality in movie maker are only standard (like said above), you have nearly no chances to try out better compression. there is only one setting in movie maker which let you get a high-quality avi: export as dv (dv is a standardized format of 720x576px, 25fps, non-square pixels), but you can use this for some more advanced (free-ware) tools like 'virtualdub' to finalize your video and compress it with 'xvid' or 'divx'. if these codecs give the best possible result is not the question so much, but they surely give the best possible quality/size-relation.
this means: an uncompressed 640x480px, 25fps movie is about 1.4gb/min, compressed with 'xvid/divx' it will be 7mb/min with good quality! in general you can say: these codecs have the best achievable quality related to the bitrate which you encode the video (wmv9 is similar, but the handicap is the bad availabilty of settings and the wmv-output)

deepo of "homeoputes"
lapinot as no17 @ il2airracing.com

Markov_4IAP_CO
02-11-2004, 06:24 PM
S!

Okay, I got the resolution set by saving the file as best quality for playback on my computer, thanks Gutted. And thanks very much for the useful tips and explanations Le Deepo.