PDA

View Full Version : Everytihng I can think of

Conafam
05-01-2004, 04:19 AM
In an attempt to better understand and get to grips with the game better I thought I would post all of the questions are queries I have no matter how stupid or simple they may sound. Feel free to comment on each one.
Cheers

1)I don't really get alot of the radar modes BVR RWR etc. This is down to me really, and I should read the 'manual' more but it's still not that clear. Any other good places to lear this?

2)The weapons panel on the A10. Don't understand it. Looks like double dutch to me. Yet again I need to read more.

3)ECM. I can turn it on but what does it do? Does it work with the F15? What is ECM burnthrough and should I turn it off after this point?

4)Nagvigation/ILS landing. Yet again not very clear but I will go through all the training missions again with 1.02. Any tips?

5)Weapon HUD symbology. Ie when is a target in range? when do I shoot?

6) Radar. I am a big F15 player so obviously this will get better but I dont understand what I am looknig at with the radar. Ie What orientation am I looking at it from? Behind the plane (like F4 view) or above. Also can someone explain the altiude slewing of teh radar. Ie when it is say 0-30, does that mean that my radar is scanning from ground level to 30000ft? If a radar blip appears at the bottom of the display is the plane below me and vice versa?

7)How can I tell if someone has launched an IR or radar missle against me?

8)what is the range of the aim120 in nm?

9)I get a launch tone against me but is there not meant to be another tone when the missile is very near? I have never heard it. What does it sound like and when it goes off how close is the missle?

10)Does the A10 have a radar? I thought I read somewhere that it did. If so how do I use it?

11)In the first A10 mission (on the opening screen) I can always seem to be able to lock on that damm helicopter with my IR missile, yet other times I can. Is there a reason for this or does it happen to anyone else?

12)How do I rearm on the ground?

13) This is one I hope will be fixed with the patch. Sometimes my rudder sticks and my plane drifts right a bit (usually after some serious evasion techniques) However when I go to F4 and zoom right in teh rudder is perfectly in the middle yet the plane still drifts? It isn't a problem with my joystick merely sticking a bit, must be the game? I also get behaviour other people have been experiencing where the joystick is pretty much unresponse until a certain point where its waaaayyyyy overresponsive. Yet again, come on the patch http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/11.gif

14)Views. There is a way to customise snap views for the cockpit. How can this be done?

15)On Ironhands refueling mission/track I took control. When I went to F2 view I noticed the camera moves a bit with the plane. It's very cool http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif How can this be done on my missions?

16) I know they are two different games but why does F22 lighting 3 have better FPS that LOMAC.I know LOMAC runs alot more detail behind the scenes but there is no substitute for smooth gameplay. I just have to say though, I think LOMAC is a far better game and I'm not flaming here.

17)When is the 1.02 patch coming out? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif LOL ONLY JOKING DONT ANSWER THAT!

18)My wingman on certain missions ask for permission to attack. I say "Engage ground targets, engage air defenses, engage.. ok you get the point. But still he continues to do nothing. Howsat?

19)Explosions are ok for me with FPS now that have done the fix, APART from cluster bombs. Still get major slowdown. Any ideas?

20)Some people have forked out money for that bigger manual. However that patch has so many new features which wont be included in the manual. That bites! Although there will be a readme I suppose with screenies.

21) Ok running low on questions now. What is the cobra manuver and the ...... nope it's gone, forgot.

22)Oh yeah, how to I record a track to show everyone how not to fly!

23)Multipalyer to say the leat is confusing to me. I have HL but there were only like 7 games playing. Is that it?! Also, how does respawning work? I noticed if I push Esc the RCVR I start the game flying again, but how from the runway?

24)Does anyone think that a nuclear bomb would be cool in the game? How possible is it and is anyone making one. The one in F22 Lightning 3 was cool!

25) How do you chat in multiplayer during the game?

26)How good is the support from ED and the Devs (rehtorical question) I think it's the mutts nuts!= the dogs bollocks = great.

27) How much c r a p am I talknig?

Thats about it. Yet I again I must emphasise that I just sat down for 1/2 an hour and typed my thoughts as they entered my head. Some of these answers will just need a bit of reading on my part so excuse the obviousness of them.Oh and apologies for my terrible spelling. This is obviously the Eternal Sunshine fo an UN-Spotless mind!

Oh yeah, have a look at my website, think you's could do "The Challenge"
http://www.dcs.napier.ac.uk/~01010157/01010157/default.htm

Cheers

Conafam
05-01-2004, 04:19 AM
In an attempt to better understand and get to grips with the game better I thought I would post all of the questions are queries I have no matter how stupid or simple they may sound. Feel free to comment on each one.
Cheers

1)I don't really get alot of the radar modes BVR RWR etc. This is down to me really, and I should read the 'manual' more but it's still not that clear. Any other good places to lear this?

2)The weapons panel on the A10. Don't understand it. Looks like double dutch to me. Yet again I need to read more.

3)ECM. I can turn it on but what does it do? Does it work with the F15? What is ECM burnthrough and should I turn it off after this point?

4)Nagvigation/ILS landing. Yet again not very clear but I will go through all the training missions again with 1.02. Any tips?

5)Weapon HUD symbology. Ie when is a target in range? when do I shoot?

6) Radar. I am a big F15 player so obviously this will get better but I dont understand what I am looknig at with the radar. Ie What orientation am I looking at it from? Behind the plane (like F4 view) or above. Also can someone explain the altiude slewing of teh radar. Ie when it is say 0-30, does that mean that my radar is scanning from ground level to 30000ft? If a radar blip appears at the bottom of the display is the plane below me and vice versa?

7)How can I tell if someone has launched an IR or radar missle against me?

8)what is the range of the aim120 in nm?

9)I get a launch tone against me but is there not meant to be another tone when the missile is very near? I have never heard it. What does it sound like and when it goes off how close is the missle?

10)Does the A10 have a radar? I thought I read somewhere that it did. If so how do I use it?

11)In the first A10 mission (on the opening screen) I can always seem to be able to lock on that damm helicopter with my IR missile, yet other times I can. Is there a reason for this or does it happen to anyone else?

12)How do I rearm on the ground?

13) This is one I hope will be fixed with the patch. Sometimes my rudder sticks and my plane drifts right a bit (usually after some serious evasion techniques) However when I go to F4 and zoom right in teh rudder is perfectly in the middle yet the plane still drifts? It isn't a problem with my joystick merely sticking a bit, must be the game? I also get behaviour other people have been experiencing where the joystick is pretty much unresponse until a certain point where its waaaayyyyy overresponsive. Yet again, come on the patch http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/11.gif

14)Views. There is a way to customise snap views for the cockpit. How can this be done?

15)On Ironhands refueling mission/track I took control. When I went to F2 view I noticed the camera moves a bit with the plane. It's very cool http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif How can this be done on my missions?

16) I know they are two different games but why does F22 lighting 3 have better FPS that LOMAC.I know LOMAC runs alot more detail behind the scenes but there is no substitute for smooth gameplay. I just have to say though, I think LOMAC is a far better game and I'm not flaming here.

17)When is the 1.02 patch coming out? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif LOL ONLY JOKING DONT ANSWER THAT!

18)My wingman on certain missions ask for permission to attack. I say "Engage ground targets, engage air defenses, engage.. ok you get the point. But still he continues to do nothing. Howsat?

19)Explosions are ok for me with FPS now that have done the fix, APART from cluster bombs. Still get major slowdown. Any ideas?

20)Some people have forked out money for that bigger manual. However that patch has so many new features which wont be included in the manual. That bites! Although there will be a readme I suppose with screenies.

21) Ok running low on questions now. What is the cobra manuver and the ...... nope it's gone, forgot.

22)Oh yeah, how to I record a track to show everyone how not to fly!

23)Multipalyer to say the leat is confusing to me. I have HL but there were only like 7 games playing. Is that it?! Also, how does respawning work? I noticed if I push Esc the RCVR I start the game flying again, but how from the runway?

24)Does anyone think that a nuclear bomb would be cool in the game? How possible is it and is anyone making one. The one in F22 Lightning 3 was cool!

25) How do you chat in multiplayer during the game?

26)How good is the support from ED and the Devs (rehtorical question) I think it's the mutts nuts!= the dogs bollocks = great.

27) How much c r a p am I talknig?

Thats about it. Yet I again I must emphasise that I just sat down for 1/2 an hour and typed my thoughts as they entered my head. Some of these answers will just need a bit of reading on my part so excuse the obviousness of them.Oh and apologies for my terrible spelling. This is obviously the Eternal Sunshine fo an UN-Spotless mind!

Oh yeah, have a look at my website, think you's could do "The Challenge"
http://www.dcs.napier.ac.uk/~01010157/01010157/default.htm

Cheers

britgliderpilot
05-01-2004, 04:42 AM
That's a bloody long list, and I don't know the answers to a lot of it . . . .

Reading the pdf manual will help - if you really want to learn, the big printed manual from Nic Cole will help greatly. Since you appear to be in the UK, you get it for the bargain price of 25.

8 - Range varies depending on aspect. If you're at high speed, high altitude, and coming head on to another target, the AMRAAM has a very nice range indeed - similar to or perhaps exceeding that of the R27R.

10 - The A10 does NOT have a radar - for air-to-ground or air-to-air. You can use maverick seeker heads to lock them on, but that's it. Sidewinders are fired using their own seeker heads to lock their target.

12 - Think rearming is Ctrl-W.

15 - The shaky camera view . . . I think is Shift-J.

16 - F22 L3 is a bloody old game, has much worse graphics and detail levels, and simply isn't as complicated in terms of all the calculations going on behind the scenes.

18 - Because the AI's dumb. Shrug. Not sure there's much more to be said . . . .

20 - Nic has said there's a possibility of adding pages to the manual if new features are included. Might want to email him and see if that can be done.
Even so, the big manual is well worth it . . . the readmes and key command listings for 1.02 will help you, and you should be able to pick them up as you go along if you have a good enough grounding in 1.0 avionics.

21 - The cobra maneuvre is the one where the Su27/33 or MiG29 flies straight up and tailslides. Neat, not much combat use.
Pugachev's Cobra is the one where the Su27/33 or MiG29 pulls an angle of attack up to 100 degrees while flying in the same direction. Turns the whole jet into a giant airbrake, and if you're behind one in a dogfight . . . . you usually aren't anymore, in a great big hurry.

However, some humans take the opportunity to hose that big target while zooming past . . . . because it's a very big, very stationary target.

22 - Start in the mission editor, hit Ctrl-R to start flying - save the track on mission exit.

23 - 7 servers in HL is about right - bear in mind that those are the ones that have empty slots. There are sometimes more, but HL doesn't display them since there's no point you joining them. Lomac's smaller online than the Nova sims or Il2.
The only way to start from the runway again is to quit the mission and restart. Don't have to rejoin the server - just quit and hit fly again.

24 - Nukes aren't going to happen.

25 - Ctrl-M to chat in MP.

26 - Support from ED (who ARE the devs, btw . . . grin) is indeed excellent. The trouble is that you have to be on the forums and aware of the things that are being asked to appreciate this.
Btw, if you speak Russian, then ED has it's own boards. Much more communicative over there.

27 - Not that much, just due to a history in a *sniff* lesser flight sim and being new here http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Buy the big manual and enjoy . . . .

<BringbackHTMLtags!>http://koti.welho.com/mkihlman/2004sigs/newsigblack.jpg

P4 2.8GHz 800FSB | Radeon 9700 PRO | 1024Mb DDR RAM | MS SWPP2 | Lomac Hat, Patch, and Pen

Conafam
05-01-2004, 05:16 AM
Thank you for your detailed repy. I'm going to first off all read the pdf manual off of the offical site (incase it's been updated over the one on the cd) then if I'm still clueless I will fork out 25 to but the manual.......damm you Ubi!

Cheers

Schintzel
05-01-2004, 06:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Conafam:
Thank you for your detailed repy. I'm going to first off all read the pdf manual off of the offical site (incase it's been updated over the one on the cd) then if I'm still clueless I will fork out 25 to but the manual.......damm you Ubi! Cheers<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The v1.0 readme has 4 pages of corrections to the printed manual that came in the box.It helps to go through them line by line and note them in the manual.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> 14)Views. There is a way to customise snap views for the cockpit. How can this be done? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
First in Lock On\config\View open the View .cfg file for editing. Set DisableSnapViewsSaving = 0 and
UseDefaultSnapViews = 0 Lockon will now use Lookjump.xml for its SnapView settings.
Then create a new mission with a single player aircraft of your choice on the runway. Save your mission and then go to the options screen and turn the mouse on. (Its has much finer control of the cockpit than the keyboard. The scroll wheel is especially good for zooming. Also you can switch to slow speed by pressing Alt-Rshift, (L)Shift-Rshift for normal).

When in the mission activate the snapview you want to change and release. Use the mouse to adjust to your desired replacement view. Press Alt-KeyPad0. A new file is created with your mission with the same name but an xml extension. The new view will only apply to that mission. Repeat for all the views ie kp 0-9. If you want to apply the new snapviews to all missions you will need to replace the existing LookJump.xml file with a copy of your new file, suitably renamed of course.
All of this will be completely changed with the 1.02 patch, but thats probably a good thing. I hope. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/52.gif

http://homepage.eircom.net/~davidmulh/images/pilot.gif

P4 2.6 @400 Mhz
MSI 865G Neo2 LS
1GB DDR PC3200
Sapphire 9800 Pro 128, Cat4.4
E-Dimensioal 3D and TrackIR2.

Submit a bug report (http://apps.ati.com/driverfeedback/index.asp) to ATI

http://homepage.eircom.net/~davidmulh/images/Mysig3.jpg

Twelvefield
05-01-2004, 10:49 AM
Let the post-whining begin!

I want to try to clarify the A-10 radar issue. If I recall from one of Diceman's posts, there IS a radar system on board the A-10, but it's only one of those low-powered radar altimeters, and would not be used for targetting weapons. I believe some people were claiming that this radar may have been modified to allow for some kind of weapons-pickling system, like a CCRP, but I'm just going by what I recall, and that may be wrong. In any case, LO-MAC does not seem to model a radar for the A-10 that you can use directly to destroy an enemy, unless you fly right into it.

One of the better ways, in my opinion, to learn how to use ILS is an expensive option: get yourself a copy of Microsoft Flight Simulator (any version from year 2000 forward should do). The game comes with excellent tutorials featuring Rod Machado that explain instrument flying in very good detail. By the time you get through that, you will be overqualified to handle the ILS in LO-MAC.

Rokaku
05-01-2004, 11:12 AM
&lt;S&gt;Conafam
I don't think you have to spend 25 pounds for a manual.
You have it on Lock-On (D: )
,explore,Manual,Lock-On reference manual.pdf.
I printed it and have it all

Chisha
05-01-2004, 12:47 PM
thats one long list http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I don't fly f-15, and i still consider myself a newbie in whole flight sim world, but i will try to comment on as many as i can.

1. BVR and RWR are not radar modes.
BVR = beyond visual range, and simply means fighting an enemy which is too far to be seen with naked eye
RWR = radar warning receiver, detects incoming radar signals. it warns if someone is painting you with radar or has locked you -- read manual

There are basically to radar modes.
TWS = track while scan: radar tracks individual target.
RWS = range while scan: radar tracks multiple targets, you can shoot multiple missiles simultaneously but its not as accurate as TWS.

3. ECM = electromagnetic counter measures: like radar jammer, detects in coming radar waves and counters them with opposite waves, basically makes you harder to detect with radar. As a rule of thumb, keep it always on.
AIM-120 can be set to home on this jamming energy but since you fly f-15 you don't need to care about that.
EMC burnthrough simply means that jamming a/c has come so close to the radar that it is detect regardles of ECM.

6. your looking from above the aircraft. Your a/c is at the bottom of the display. Radar is usually situated in the nose cone of aircraft and thus can detect objects in imaginary cone expanding forward from nose of the aircraft, you wouldn't see an enemy that was under you.

And you got it right with the slewing thing
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

7. Radar missile launch is indicated by peeping sound. IR missiles, however, can not be detected, thats what makes them so good for sneaking tactics http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

9. if i recall right, the second warning tone is played when missiles is under 30nm from you. If the missiles is launched from distance under 30nm, you of course wont get it, but I may be wrong with this... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

11. helicopters are very hard to get a lock on. They move slowly near the ground. and their heat signature is weak.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/chisha/locksig2.jpg

olaleier
05-01-2004, 12:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Twelvefield:

I want to try to clarify the A-10 radar issue. If I recall from one of Diceman's posts, there IS a radar system on board the A-10, but it's only one of those low-powered radar altimeters, and would not be used for targetting weapons. I believe some people were claiming that this radar may have been modified to allow for some kind of weapons-pickling system, like a CCRP, but I'm just going by what I recall, and that may be wrong.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've almost got it right. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

There is no need to modify a perfectly good radar altimeter to get CCRP capability.
Or accurate CCIP for that matter.

The computer calculates where the bomb will fall and altitude is of course part of the equation,
thus an accurate radar alitmeter is vital (to get height above ground, not sea) to the system.

==================================
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v30/olaleier/cobrasig.jpg
==================================
Marvin in hyperlobby