PDA

View Full Version : Amazing demo!

XyZspineZyX
10-12-2003, 09:03 AM
It's not so stable (it suddenly closed for no apparent reason in the middle), and doesn't have the smoothest framerate, but I must say that overall, I am very impressed. What struck me the most was the beautiful graphics, but the story looks great too. Buying this will be a no-brainer for me.

XyZspineZyX
10-12-2003, 09:03 AM
It's not so stable (it suddenly closed for no apparent reason in the middle), and doesn't have the smoothest framerate, but I must say that overall, I am very impressed. What struck me the most was the beautiful graphics, but the story looks great too. Buying this will be a no-brainer for me.

XyZspineZyX
10-12-2003, 12:01 PM
I must agree with you, Had a few initial probs but there sorted now. The game has very good graphics, although some of the textures seem a little simple like her face, but then this is the effect they wanted to achieve. Also the animation is brillant, I love that hog man, its one of the most enjoyable game I have brought this year, Always feel like playing it over again http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-12-2003, 03:11 PM
Demo nr1, or 2? Ah, hell, they are both amazing!!!

XyZspineZyX
10-13-2003, 02:09 AM
ive been following this game for like a year, and the last game i did that for ended up being a huge upset..but i finally got the working demo goin and man, im poppin a ***** over this game. i cant wait the few weeks til it comes out on ps2 since im not really a pc guy

XyZspineZyX
10-13-2003, 07:53 AM
Hey everyone... i'm new to the community.. but i simply HAD to post to concur with all of your opinions...

this is the most amazing game i've seen in a VERY LONG TIME... they character development is one of the best i've seen in a video game.. you really start to care for the characters... whatch them evolve and get to know them on a more personal level by their rections to things and their body gestures..

ever try taking a pic of pey'j?... he waves to yah http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

stuff like that is what i like about this game.. the attention to detail..

let alone the fact that i got all those gorgeous reflection graphics on my GF2... which i thought wasn't possible..
big ups to UBI.. i'm definitely buying this one the day it comes out! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

////RazoR\\\\

XyZspineZyX
10-14-2003, 05:00 PM
this demo looks great

<center>"Look past the flesh, and see your enemy."</center><center>http://home.comcast.net/~fisherobsession/Winsk_Sig_4.gif </center><center>"Everything that has a beginning has an end."</center>

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2003, 11:10 PM
You're killing me with your appraisals. I appreciate the info but for those of us who haven't played a demo, can anyone of you offer even MORE details? Please! For instance, what are the environments of the demo? How much detail? Is there any sequence where you are near the city by the water? How are the physics of the hovercraft on the water? Do the environments offer total immersion? Sound effects? Movement of the character(s)? Are Jade's movements like Lara or more like Ico? Is the camera still fixed? What is the latest news on camera improvement? And I didn't catch the release date. Thanks.

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2003, 11:11 PM
i am also waiting for details........what exactly do you have to do in the demo???

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 12:23 AM
Hey all..
let me see if i can fill you in a bit here..

the demo starts you off RIGHT into some action.. after some in game cinematics.. describing what might be going on soon with an attack.. as Jade.. you are outside meditating with one of the orphan children that you take in at your lighthouse (they are orphaned because their parents keep disappearing) an attack happens.. and these orbs come down and encapsulate the children.. you must fight the bug-like orbs and free the children.. then you get sucked underground.. to fight a sorta boss like thing..

the game doesn't exist with just fighting.. there's also the picture taking and i'm sure MANY other elements to it..

the environments are sheer beauty.. with vast panoramas, and nicely detailed interiors.. you can interact with lots of things in the world.. and you can sort of choose your own ways of doing things...

at one point.. we struggled to get the shields.. up.. well i went outside at night.. turned the shields of.. and decided to fight some weird flying things http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

the creatures and characters are very well thought out.. and the character development is excellent..

using the hovercraft is also great.. the bouyancy of it feels just right.. and the airbag it floats on actually squeezes and bounces to the motion of the rest of the craft.. very nice touch UBISOFT.. the reflections of the water almost made me cry..it was so beautiful...

what really suprised me .. was that the game ran VERY smoothly on my machine.. and i have areally old machine..

PIII 733MHz
256 Mb PC 133 sDRAM
133 FSB
2x AGP port
64 Mb GeForce 2 GTS

i got a very constant fps.. and it never got bogged.. down.. the water suprised me especially.. because i figured i had to have a highend video card with direct x 9.0 pixelshaders and stuff to see it all.. but it worked wonderfully!

anyway.. i don't want to spoil the whole demo.. as i'm sure you'll want to play it..

have fun.. and i can't wait for the game to hit the shelves..
from what i can tell.. it should be out within a month or 2!

////Razor\\\\

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 01:06 AM
Many thanks Razor! Good information and detail in your post, much appreciated. I love the aspect of having both vast panoramas and interior detail in a game. Immersion comes from both the feeling of distance and closeness. Wow, I love that detail with the air bag squeezing in and out. I think I got the camera problem mixed up with POP:SOT. I assume the camera is fine. I'm hoping there is a true cinematic feel to this game. I've dreamt of the day when a well-written story blends well with gameplay and computer generated graphics, and all this under the gamer's direction!!! Imagine Oscar-like quality in screenplay and cinematics with you driving the character to a conclusion. Maybe that day is only weeks away. Maybe it will take a Frenchman to break through the paradigm, much like they did in cinema back in the day. I hope this is at least the beginning of the NEXT BIG STEP in gaming as promised a couple of years ago. BG&E and POPSOT!!! Can't wait.

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 01:21 AM
well let me assure you.. from what i've seen.. we are DEFINITELY in the right direction.. moreso than ever.. i never met a better bunch of game characters..

just to give you a little more evidence of this games pull to me..

i'm usually a first person shooter gamer... i'm REALLY looking forward to Half Life 2.. however.. this game seems that it will MORE than quench my thirst for a good story with great action and very nice special effects.. and i won't have to upgrade my computer! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

i've got mine on pre-order at one of the local games shops.. i told them to call me the minute they open the box and see that it's BG&E http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

btw.. the camera never gave me any problems at all.. and it was actually very responsive.. and nice to be able to swing it all the way around the character.. (using arrow keys for direction in reference to the camera position..)
hope that makes sense..

later..

///RazoR\\\\

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 01:37 AM
thanks for the info.........and btw, i will be getting this game for xbox

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 02:37 AM
I love this demo, love it love it LOVE IT!

The details, the moving around, the exploring, the interation between Jade and everything... it reminds me a lot of a certain series of games i used to love playing... games that always began with the words "Final Fantasy" and then a number. True, i preferred 7 and 8 to 9 and 10, but i'm getting ahead of myself. The real-time fighting, the item organization, it all reminds me very much of any honestly good RPG out there.

Keep it up. If this is an illustration of the final product in any remote way, i'll be sure to buy it the moment it comes out.

However, there are some things i'd like to point out, or some questions, if you will.

Will the full version of the game feature re-bindable controls? I am a left-handed mouse user and thus all my keys get mirrored over onto the other side of the board. Basically, thats all i have to ask, well, will we get a binding for mouse-sensitivity as well?

LM

XyZspineZyX
10-24-2003, 12:34 AM
Ok, it's another day at work and I'm still hungry for any info about BGE. If there's anyone else out there who has had the experience of playing the demo and has something to say about his or her experience, please do. I don't care if it even reaffirms a previous post; it will just make me anticipate the game even more!!! I haven't felt this much anticipation since Tomb Raider AOD, and there was a large number of us who felt hugely disappointed. But I don't care and will take the leap again and hope for a great new gaming experience!

BTW, I'm curious to know if there is even a significant percentage of gamers out there anticipating this type of game that are over 30 years of age. I'm hoping this game offers some level of sophistication (not that people under 30 years can't be sophisticated), perhaps resulting in actually thinking about its message. I don't know if it's just a coincidence with what's happened recently with the U.S. and Iraq and France, but I would think with Ancel being a Frenchman, he would pose a strong storyline that would make one think about the actions and consequences of individuals and countries today. I don't necessarily agree with the French and am not an admirer of its politics and social conscience, but I am definitely for open thinking and the actual exercise of careful thought and sharing of ideas, whether it be through protest through television, print, or internet or perhaps the more subtle and heretofore less respected medium of a simple but powerful video game. Imagine that! I bet Michel Ancel did.

XyZspineZyX
10-24-2003, 02:23 AM
Well, first let me say that I am an over 30 gamer. I purchase about 20 games a year for the Xbox and PC. Typically, I prefer the FPS types for the PC and sports/platform for the Xbox.

That said - let me give you my 2 cents on the demo.

I have downloaded and installed this demo 3 times. It wasn't until the AMD patch came out recently that I was able to play it. Honestly - this demo kicks some serious ***. You can tell from the screenshots that this isn't some dark moody game like, say, Doom 3. However - what it is is a very atmospheric, entertaining and well thought out demo. The controls are easy to use. The camera and movement is easy to control and the graphics and music are top notch. Many times, I felt like I was playing a cartoon and I mean that as a compliment. There is humor throughout with enough "action" sprinkled in to keep things interesting. Add all that with a story to boot and if the demo is anything like the full game - it is a must buy. My only complaint is the typical - limited save feature. As a PC gamer by heart, I really hate "save locations" and the like that console games use. But that is just me. Also, I noticed some "tearing" at the beginning of the game with distant views but other than that - it rocks.

I gotta say - I was about to stop even caring about this game with all the troubles getting the demo to work. After playing it (twice), it has moved to the top of my "must buy" list and will give me something to look forward now that Half Life 2 will be delayed for some time.

If you haven't played the demo...give it a shot. It sucked me right in - even though is does have a "kiddy" and cartoon look to it. But - remember, I am an old fart (34) and it still is going to get my dollar. A fun game is a fun game. Period.

XyZspineZyX
11-05-2003, 05:39 AM
yep its a wonderful demo im going to get it, it looks very promising, there are great characters and the nice humour (like the optima account), some nice action scenes and gameplay, i think the only -ve point about the demo is you cant skip cutscenes :P

Message Edited on 11/08/0301:23PM by ruberband

XyZspineZyX
11-05-2003, 07:54 AM
Wow, singe, I relate to everything you say there. As an over-30 gamer I'm used to many more "mature" types of games but I've come to appreciate the simple things in life, meaning "kiddie" games like this one or a lot of Nintendo's classics. To me, it has the duality that while being sort of innocent and cartoonish it looks like the whole thing was put together with a very sophisticated view.

Actually I first got a sense of what this game was about from X-Play, which gave it a glowing review. From there I went straight for the demo, but I played it with an eye toward what it would be like on a console. I normally like to keep the console side console and the PC side PC, but at this point it doesn't even matter. I found the whole thing so captivating I can't wait to get the full game and explore everything it has to offer. I do love a good adventure game.

Message Edited on 11/05/0306:55AM by Da53hlp

XyZspineZyX
11-08-2003, 06:29 AM
i hope that in the full version jade learns more dai-jo stick combos and you can skip cutscenes.

lazermane> im not sure if this works or its already tried it but you can switch buttons in control panel>mouse

heres some did you knows :P :

you can play catch with the white dog, woof, to get a box of k bups (hes quite cute). go near him while he's sleeping and left click, then you have to chase him.

you can hear pjey on the radio...about stuff like the alpha section not as fast as a speeding bullet.

the solaris can be detected by the camera during both day and night, constellations can also be detected in the night. this may be due to the solaris having high EM radiation and constellations low EM

pressing F6 kind of restarts the current stage or something im not sure

f4 (or was it f3?) sets wireframe mode

when fighting the lighthouse eyeball monster, when jade is being trapped by the "spines" if you dont do anythihng you can watch peyj hopping around getting hit by the laser, but when he has one heart left he eats a starkos and i think he has unlimited of time at that part so he never dies

this one isnt that unknown i think, at first i thought the animal on the roof was a penguin but using the camera with the optical zoom it says its a 2 legged otter

one of the vorexes cant be fought

after you head to mamago and before your fuel runs out, at hillys, you get fined for shooting ships too much. but if you have less than 150 (meaning less than the fine) the police drone wont stop you

Message Edited on 11/08/03 08:26AM by ruberband

Message Edited on 11/08/0301:23PM by ruberband

XyZspineZyX
11-09-2003, 10:17 PM
Some odd (or will be explained later in game) stuff:
-There is an unreachable/hidden area ni the hangar
(check your map)
-2 consoles that ask for passwords
-Did you noticed that most of the children are hiding (or at least trying to) at the beginning of of the sequence when the shield is down?
-And every friend that i put in front of my pc (without any explanation)got the knack of controls and combat under less than 5 sec.s and some of them are completely alien to games (ok the true alien one was my sis. but ) so easy and so effective it makes me jelous