PDA

View Full Version : Far Cry: Basic impressions after a few hours of play

Salma4Ever
03-27-2004, 11:17 AM
I picked up FC at the local EB yesterday. The guy said "We only got this in yesterday and I'm surprised we still have so many left. The main thing with this game is having the system to run it." The demo played fine for me so...

After being prompted for and inserting CDs 3-5 during the install it complained that the wrong volume was in the drive and asked for FARCRY_1. I was able to simply ignore it and continue the install but found it odd.

I am using the game-assigned graphic options, including 1024x768x32 res. It looks beautiful. When I first start playing there's a little choppiness with the first shot I take but after that it's smooth.

My specs:

P4 2.4
GF4 Ti4600 128MB (MSI)
512MB PC2100 RAM
WinXP Pro SP1
Hercules Fortissimo II

I love the real weapons and the fact that hitting an enemy in the head/neck kills them faster than the arm/leg/etc. So far I've mainly used the M4 but also used the sniper rifle and rocket launcher; both very effective for their purposes. It's a challenge lining up the sniper rifle but that's par for the course.

I sometimes have a little trouble driving. Maybe it's using the keyboard but I find myself veering off the road into a tree on occasion. The boats I find better but am getting used to the land-based ones. I'm used to F1 games so... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I like hearing the enemies talk to each other and being able to throw a rock to distract them. Haven't used the rock much but it's a neat idea. Also like manning a minigun and mowing the lawn. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif The enemies use the terrain to their advantage; hiding behind crates etc. This is nice, except a few times I've been facing an enemy 5-10 feet away and he's just crouching along towards me as if he doesn't see me. I do wish I could get a hold of an Apache and teach that coward in the chopper on the machine gun a thing or two; man is he irritating.

Overall I really like this game. It's a nice switch from UT2004 which I love. I haven't tried FC's MP yet but am in no rush; the single player is very cool.

Salma4Ever
03-27-2004, 11:17 AM
I picked up FC at the local EB yesterday. The guy said "We only got this in yesterday and I'm surprised we still have so many left. The main thing with this game is having the system to run it." The demo played fine for me so...

After being prompted for and inserting CDs 3-5 during the install it complained that the wrong volume was in the drive and asked for FARCRY_1. I was able to simply ignore it and continue the install but found it odd.

I am using the game-assigned graphic options, including 1024x768x32 res. It looks beautiful. When I first start playing there's a little choppiness with the first shot I take but after that it's smooth.

My specs:

P4 2.4
GF4 Ti4600 128MB (MSI)
512MB PC2100 RAM
WinXP Pro SP1
Hercules Fortissimo II

I love the real weapons and the fact that hitting an enemy in the head/neck kills them faster than the arm/leg/etc. So far I've mainly used the M4 but also used the sniper rifle and rocket launcher; both very effective for their purposes. It's a challenge lining up the sniper rifle but that's par for the course.

I sometimes have a little trouble driving. Maybe it's using the keyboard but I find myself veering off the road into a tree on occasion. The boats I find better but am getting used to the land-based ones. I'm used to F1 games so... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I like hearing the enemies talk to each other and being able to throw a rock to distract them. Haven't used the rock much but it's a neat idea. Also like manning a minigun and mowing the lawn. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif The enemies use the terrain to their advantage; hiding behind crates etc. This is nice, except a few times I've been facing an enemy 5-10 feet away and he's just crouching along towards me as if he doesn't see me. I do wish I could get a hold of an Apache and teach that coward in the chopper on the machine gun a thing or two; man is he irritating.

Overall I really like this game. It's a nice switch from UT2004 which I love. I haven't tried FC's MP yet but am in no rush; the single player is very cool.