PDA

View Full Version : Emergency! Fire the Voice Director & Kill the voice actor!

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 07:31 AM
Emergency! Fire the Voice Director & Kill the voice actor!

...and the moron who wrote the lines.

WHAT ARE YOU GUYS THINKING?????

Haven't you learned?

Jacks voice and lines are the worse.

What a whinny little wimp. And I though John Dalton was the worst. This is even worse that Dalton.

So sad to see yet another game ruined by something really stupid.

-=AutoPilot=-

http://publish.hometown.aol.com/excidiumone/images/sunsetauto1.jpg

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 07:31 AM
Emergency! Fire the Voice Director & Kill the voice actor!

...and the moron who wrote the lines.

WHAT ARE YOU GUYS THINKING?????

Haven't you learned?

Jacks voice and lines are the worse.

What a whinny little wimp. And I though John Dalton was the worst. This is even worse that Dalton.

So sad to see yet another game ruined by something really stupid.

-=AutoPilot=-

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 07:33 AM
ah! shutup and quit nitpicking!

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 07:45 AM
I myself have no problems with the voice acting in FC.. alot better than some games

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 07:46 AM
His voice is awsome. Reminds me of the guy from SiN and the guy from Unreal 2.

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 07:53 AM
I am of the mind that pretty well every thing so far.... ROCKs. If it blew, I`d be the 1st to hang my azz in the wind here and shout it to the cielings. Not this time round tho. And I am known for picking on the teeniest stuff. LOL

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 07:57 AM
hey autopilot! its san-j from TGF! fancy meeting you here!

leave autopilot alone guys, he is the shiznay!

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 08:09 AM
I did think it seemed a little scripted, especially near the end, and didn't sound realistic. At the very end before strapping on the bomb or entering the chamber he says "Standby he says, that's rich." To me that sounds REALLY dumb, like he's talking to you, the gamer, not talking to himself or the guy on the radio in the game.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
MSI K8T Neo
512MB PC3200 DDR400 Corsair XMSC2PRO Memory
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
160GB 7200 RPM HDD, 8MB Cache
10 80mm LED Case Fans

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 08:25 AM
I think the dialogue's pretty cheesy to.

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 08:34 AM
Hey san-j, good to see ya, bud! Thanks for the plug.

----------

When I first played the demo of Unreal II and heard the pathetic, whinny voice of John Dalton I thought and said the same thing on the Unreal forums. To my surprise, just like some of the responses here, the fan-boys disagreed.

As it turns out, I was right. Unreal II was a disaster and as a result the maker of the game, Legend Entertainment, is dissolved and no longer exists.

One of the biggest complaints was the pathetic, whinny voice of the main character, John Dalton. Read the reviews.

Now I see the developers of Far Cry are making the same fatal mistake.

Mark my words. If the script and voice of Jack is not changed, Far Cry is in for some harsh reviews.

-=AutoPilot=-

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 08:38 AM
"His voice is awsome. Reminds me of the guy from SiN and the guy from Unreal 2."

*fights to maintain straight face*

*smiles*

*giggles*

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH!. . .

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH!

*catches breath*

Oh man. . .

*wipes tears from eyes*

But seriously, the dialogue in this game (from the player character that is) is cringe-inducing. The idiot from Serious Sam had more charisma than this guy. Still, it does 'fit' with the vivid jungles and semi-amusing NPC conversations.

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 09:17 AM
wow... ur going to sit here and cry bout the voice and lines Jack has? Jesus christ...

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 09:39 AM
Voice acting is an important part of immersing the player in to the game world. Think of GTA 3 and Vice City. Now that's good voice acting. It's not being a nitpick to ask for good voice acting. It's important to telling the story and more importantly to get the player to believe the story. If the voice actors don't believe they are there, doing the things that the player is doing, why would the player believe it?

I don't think that the voice acting in the demo is completely bad, but it could be better. I think it's the writing more than the actors.

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 09:58 AM
Your joking, right? Unreal 2 failed because of boring, been there done that gameplay, low fps, long loads, a lot of bugs and it just didnt feel like the Unreal universe.

The voice overs in Farcry has decent delivery but sometimes cheesy lines imo. The guy who directs you through walkie talkie or whatever seems pretty good. I would imagine thats who youll be hearing the most. Its not a big deal since this is an action game and not a movie.

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 10:15 AM
I think they should eliminate the voice of Jack alltogether. I mean, myself as a player can think up my own responses, why have them recorded/scripted for us? This does not apply to the cut scenes of course.

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 10:39 PM
>>>>"*fights to maintain straight face*"<<<<

My reaction exactly, pendavrd

--------

>>>>"Voice acting is an important part of immersing the player in to the game world. Think of GTA 3 and Vice City. Now that's good voice acting. It's not being a nitpick to ask for good voice acting. It's important to telling the story and more importantly to get the player to believe the story. If the voice actors don't believe they are there, doing the things that the player is doing, why would the player believe it?"<<<<

Well said, LupusOccisoris.

-----------

A major factor in what makes games great is the voice acting. It was a definitely a reason Duke Nukem was such a hit and the reason Duke Nukem is still the most anticipated sequel of all time. Duke is the character everyone loves. It's doubtful there will be anything revolutionary about the gameplay. We just all want to *be* Duke and hear his voice again.

Of the greatest Shooters they all have excellent voice acting. It's vital. Examples are: Max Payne 2, GTA & Vice City, No One Lives Forever, Deus Ex, and Call of Duty.

Of the premium shooters examples of inexcusably bad voice acting are Unreal II, VietCong, and now Far Cry. The player should not have to cringe everytime someone says something in a video game.

--------

>>>>"Unreal 2 failed because of boring, been there done that gameplay, low fps, long loads, a lot of bugs and it just didn't feel like the Unreal universe."<<<<

Spot On, Barker1, especially: it just didn't feel right (like the Unreal universe)

One of those reasons is no one liked playing the character Dalton, a whinny-*** looser. People want to be a kick-*** hero like Duke Nukem. Game developers who don't realize this are, pardon the expression: doomed. And so is their game.

-=AutoPilot=-

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 11:10 PM
AutoPilot- wrote:
- -
------------
-
- A major factor in what makes games great is the
- voice acting. It was a definitely a reason Duke
- Nukem was such a hit and the reason Duke Nukem is
- still the most anticipated sequel of all time. Duke
- is the character everyone loves. It's doubtful there
- will be anything revolutionary about the gameplay.
- We just all want to *be* Duke and hear his voice
- again.
-

"Its time to kick *** and chew bubble gum... and I'm all outta gum". "Let god sortem out"

Those are great lines and it added to the game but I dont see it as a major factor to Duke Nukems success. It was the first interactive fps. It was the first game where you could turn lights on and off, break bottles, blow up walls, play a game of pool, working mirrors etc. Great gameplay. It also had the best graphics to date and ran well on a 486.

I dont think 3Drealms keeps pushing the date back so the writers can come up with better lines and give the actor for Duke more practice. HL2 may be the first game where physics actually factor into the gameplay. But it sounds like Duke 4ever will take it to the next level. Probably in other ways as well.

XyZspineZyX
01-25-2004, 01:25 AM
You know your stuff, Barker1

Your summaries of Unreal II and Duke is about as good as it gets.

I'd love to hear your summaries other games you know also.

I guess I just place a higher value on voice acting and character development, which in the case of First-Person Shooters, their dialogue and voice is the only means of doing so.

-=AutoPilot=-

XyZspineZyX
01-25-2004, 01:29 AM
Yeah thats rich....

pffft LOL the dialog is so lame.

XyZspineZyX
01-25-2004, 01:53 AM
Onikudaki wrote:
- Yeah thats rich....
-
- pffft LOL the dialog is so lame.
-
-

Exactly.

Instead Jack of crying like a little 6 year old brat, his response should be something like: No Problem, I can hold them.

-=AutoPilot=-

P.S. - No apologies to the 6 year old brats of this forum. Go back to your Mario and Pokemon.

Message Edited on 01/24/0404:54PM by AutoPilot-

XyZspineZyX
01-25-2004, 02:31 AM
Regarding lines, it seems the whole game's tongue-in-cheek - the Rambo-reminiscent action, the Redneck Weekly magazine, etc.../i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
01-25-2004, 03:18 AM
That's "Redneck Today", Yankee.

I ben ah proud sub-scriber for fore years now, hear? http://www.teen-moods.net/forums/images/smilies/harhar.gif

-=AutoPilot=-

XyZspineZyX
01-25-2004, 03:28 AM
if you hate the voice overs so much, create your own, input them into the game, and share it with the community

XyZspineZyX
01-25-2004, 03:35 AM
There's only one reason why Duke Nukem Forever is still highly anticipated.

So they can prove they actually wrote the game. I'm still unsure anything even exists anymore.

The game was announced in 1997. That's right, 7 years ago. It's anticipated release is in 2005. 8 years in development. That's gotta worry at least more than a few people, right?

On the flip side, Far Cry was officially announced in mid-2002. Roughly a year and a half ago. Granted, Crytek more than likely already had a huge head start on the engine before Ubisoft announced the game. But DNF is not using a custom engine. They have floated back and forth betweek id and Epic engines for a while now.

At this point, I feel that Far Cry is going to blow anything we see out of Gathering's dev of DNF, even though Far Cry doesn't have the witticism of a certain crew-cut wearing strip joint patron who likes to "kick a** and chew gum,"

XyZspineZyX
01-25-2004, 03:47 AM
I agree totaly.

Jack Carver - What an original name for an action hero! And then the tick and course voice of his. Oboy we haven't heard it before. The "conversation" is also really witty and original. Not.

Sterotype. Lame. Uninspiring.

Otherwise, great game!

XyZspineZyX
01-25-2004, 04:27 AM
Yeah! Let's do that so they can delay the game another 3-4 months! WOO HOO! Brains are idiots!

"In the days of Kings and Queens I was a Jester, treat me like a God or they treat me like a leper." - Atmosphere

XyZspineZyX
01-25-2004, 05:15 AM
Hahahahaha that's exactly what I was thinking!! I forgot what he said but that remark right before I had to hide for the heli did it.... such a lame comment. Made me feel like I was playing Postal 2... and that game actually had some funny lines... didn't hear one in this game yet.

I think sound is pretty lame in this game for the most part. The environmental sounds are good but that's about it. The enemies don't sound convincing either... "DIE MOFO"... lol, that isn't something an enemy would yell. Some nerd would type that in an online game.... I bet that same nerd wrote the enemy's voice script.

The guns sound too weak too, like you're shooting toy guns. Don't get me wrong, the game looks great and is promising but some elements are just sooooo lame.

Btw whazzzup Autopilot, this is monoxboogie from the SOF2 forum, monoxboogie is in use already so I had to use this name.

XyZspineZyX
01-25-2004, 05:25 AM
I agree that the voice acting and sayings are very lame.

XyZspineZyX
01-25-2004, 08:34 AM
I agree with AutoPilot-...in a sense. True, the scripted lines of Jack are just corny "action movie" lines that were made famous/lame by all the action stars like Arnold, Stalone, and Van Dam, and the voice actor just makes it worse. I just cant take him serious. I feel like I already know the character just by playing the demo because he seems like a thousand other "heros" that Ive seen before. I would rather him seem more like a normal, average person or not speak much at all. To me if the main character doesnt talk much, or none at all, the game is much more enjoyable because it gives you less reasons to hate them and more reasons for the character to feel like you.

Also, he just seems like a tool wearing that ugly red hawaiian shirt. Yeah, its a tropical setting but come on...the dude is creeping through foilage and trying to take on a whole army himself. No man in Jack's situation is going to be wearing that ugly red shirt.

On the same note, this is a very minor complaint. The soul of the game is the gameplay and that totally rocks. No, I dont like the main character so far, but that doesnt, and wouldnt, keep me from fully enjoying this game.

XyZspineZyX
01-25-2004, 11:34 AM
Kudos to AutoPilot for pointing the crappy voice acting out. However, there are good and bad lines. The problem with the FC demo is that the bad lines are SO bad that they stand out, and we can't even remember the decent lines because the bad ones had us laughing or cringing so hard.

ABRAXAAS, Shuzer, FeaRx, soloman02, TFR_Filth -- these guys are all passing the bad acting off like it doesn't effect the final product, but indeed it does. Many games that have now become semi-classics were pushed to greatness by a memorable main character and his voice.

Now, DUHDUHDUH2004 I think had a great point. He said that Jack's voice was cool, and that I agree with. His voice is actually quite gruff at times and he sounds pretty tough when he rarely manages to read a line convincingly.

AutoPilot said that Jack is "crying like a little 6 year old" and his response SHOULD have been something to the "No Problem, I can hold them" effect. He's dead-on with that comment. Jack gets all whiney whenever a problem comes up, which isn't funny like I have a feeling the writer intended it. He should lay out a calmer, tougher response.

Bottom line is, as I mentioned in the beginning, they did some things right and some wrong. When he's waiting for Doyle to hack the door, he says "Come on, Doyle, anytime you're ready!" which sounds fine. He reads it convincingly, slightly agitated. The key to voice acting is to read a line like you mean it, and use the proper emotion. In that example, he manages to pull off the antsy, impatient tone.

Now, the line where he says "That's not good... what the HELL do we do now?" is crap, because he puts a huge emphasis on HELL and makes it sound like he's not used to swearing. He's clearly reading the line and not putting the right emotion into it.

The "That's just RICH" and "That's just GREAT" lines (why they had two really lame and very similar lines so close to eachother, I'm not sure, but they both suck) that were aforementioned by others were really bad, and should be cut completely or replaced.

"Oh, a demolition pack, good thing I remembered to pack a few of those..." now that line is on the fence, it's so sarcastic that it's somewhat bad, but at the same time at least isn't as lame as some other lines. It brought me back to Unreal2, but it's a forgivable one. Not the wording I would have chosen, though.

I'm sure a lot of you are asleep by now, sorry for droning on, but it bugs me that Auto makes a great point and people that have apparently no idea what makes a memorable game come in and try to shoot him down.

On a final note, ALL of Doyle's voice acting is perfect, and most of the lines are good. They need to hire another voice actor for Jack, or retrain him, and FFS hire a replacement writer for the Jack's responses.

w00t, thanks for letting me rant...

-UnmarkedOne

XyZspineZyX
01-26-2004, 09:34 AM
Heya Monox!

Good to see ya here. I noticed some other SOFers here too like xmc and Chanston Sloane. It should be great when the MultiPlayer Demo comes out. Maybe all us SOFers can get together and kick some ***. SOFers against whoever. Could be sweet. I also see a lot of other familiar names like san-j form NOLF. It'll be nice playing together with old friends in a new game.

-----------

Hello UnmarkedOne

What you wrote isn't a rant, it's a Masterpiece! I wish I had the ability to explain things as well as you.

Now if we can only get this message to CryTek before it's too late.

Your opening paragraph stated that there are actually decent lines in other parts of the game. Are you one of the beta testers? Anyway, I just want Crytek to read this understand the mistake they are making. I just can't bear the thought of having to go through this whole game listening to the pathetic lines and whining of the character I'm supposed to be.

I look forward to hearing more of your comments on the boards.

Salut

-=AutoPilot=-