PDA

View Full Version : problems with changing maps

jeri534
01-26-2004, 03:12 PM
whenever a server changes maps and its done loading the map it seems I am stuck at the "Waiting for Server Respone" for about a minute while everyone is waiting for me, and when I get in the lobby is really weird and when I get into the game im the only one there and it takes a bit till it loads the other players..has anyone else experienced this?

jeri534
01-26-2004, 03:12 PM
whenever a server changes maps and its done loading the map it seems I am stuck at the "Waiting for Server Respone" for about a minute while everyone is waiting for me, and when I get in the lobby is really weird and when I get into the game im the only one there and it takes a bit till it loads the other players..has anyone else experienced this?

jeri534
01-26-2004, 07:08 PM
anyone?

Penforhire
01-27-2004, 11:06 AM
Sure. Happens to me and others plenty. Sometimes I don't even make it into the first round after a map change. Seems to be related to a slow net connection or glitchy router. Don't worry, you're not special http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

XBOX_PLAYBOY
01-27-2004, 11:30 AM
Troubleshoot your network. Call tech support!

brimstone2000
01-27-2004, 11:45 AM
also if you're using DSL and a linksys router switch routers. Linksys isn't the best for PPPOE connections, which is fancy talk for high speed dial-up. I has having a terrible time switching maps as the host using a linksys router. switched to a Microsoft router (netgear and dlink are pretty good too) and haven't had a problem since.

XBOX_PLAYBOY
01-27-2004, 11:49 AM
LINKSYS makes the BEST 4 port Router!

You might need to upgrade your firmware to 7/2003.

Call their Tech support!

Cisco owns Linksys now. That means we have the best router company around to support our router issues!

brimstone2000
01-27-2004, 11:59 AM
Cisco makes the best routers period. but Linksys, while owned by Cisco, doesn't make it the best router for PPPOE. PPPOE is a CONNECTION TYPE (you have several types of connections, PPPOE, Static, Dial-up, frame-relay, OC lines, etc, etc). I'm saying that while Linksys routers are fine they aren't THE BEST for PPPOE, which is basically high-speed dial-up. You may have cable Internet and therefore have a different router configuration than I would using DSL. and FYI, I made sure the router was xbox live compatible and had the current firmware version installed prior to replacing it. I also worked with port-forwarding and several other advanced router configurations before giving up on it. If you haven't guessed it yet I'm not some 12 year old who has "no idea" what I'm doing so while I appreciate your reply unless you have additional information other than "it worked for me" you're not actually helping the individual I responded to.

Penforhire
01-27-2004, 02:02 PM
I dunno. I have the Linksys WRT54G and I updated my firmware. I still have random DSL slowdowns (not just XBLive) that are definitely caused by the router (hardwire bypass restores speed). The update just reduced the frequency of slowdowns from every ten minutes to around once an hour. Linksys tech support has not resolved my problem.

brimstone2000
01-27-2004, 03:12 PM
DSL is kind of a good/bad thing. it's download is slower than cable (max is usually 2MB for DSL vs 3MB for cable), it costs way more than cable because you pay for DSL in 256KB sizes (usually) and you (usually) use PPPOE as the connection type to your ISP (more on this later). The upside is that until your connection reaches your ISP it's not shared like cable and for the most part your connection speed is always the same. the real benefits however, where it kicks cable's butt, are lower latency and higher upload speeds. your average cable user has a 2MB to 3MB download speed but has an upload speed of 128KB, which is capped by their ISP. the result, you can play but you can't host. not well anyways. DSL, however, usually means that your upload is half of your download. so if you have a 512KB connection your upload is roughly 256KB, which is already faster than most cable providers. now push that up to a 2MB connection and your upload is roughly 1MB and life is really good (for hosting anyways). how this relates to the router issue is that PPPOE is like dialup in that it "dials" into your ISP to get a public IP address, which it needs to hold onto while you play. if the IP address changes, your connection fails, you get to log into Live all over again and more often than not get to power cycle your modem/router combo, which sucks. routers that support PPPOE have settings to help them hold on to your IP address when your playing. however, my linksys router decided that when it was time to switch maps it was time to grab a new IP address and viola, my connection to live would drop. I switched routers and the problem went away.

jeri534
01-27-2004, 11:39 PM
this use to never happen before though, i use to be the first ones to load on maps..