PDA

View Full Version : First it can't detect the cd, now all I get is a black screen

Elusive_Pastry
03-28-2004, 12:45 AM
This is f()#&(&*!! ridiculous, what in the hell did they do to this game?? I zoomed back from Best Buy eager to play, installed fine, aaaannnnd...."Please insert the correct CD". So I spend two hours looking for a fix (I have the US 5 cd copy) to no avail, so I flip Ubi the bird and download a no-cd patch. Great, game config runs, click ok, aaaaannnnd....get to stare at a black screen. I tried the r_Driver="OPENGL" trick to no avail, I tried setting everything to Low to no avail, I tried turning VSync on and off to no avail (not that it would make a diff since I can't even start a game), I've tried rolling back to the 53.03 drivers to no avail, and I've tried screaming at the monitor in several different languages all to no avail. WTF? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/35.gif

WinXP Home
2 ghz P4
GeForce 3 500 using both 56.64 and 53.03 drivers
512 RDram
SB Live!

UPDATE: Nevermind. For some reason I have TWO system config files, one in the main Far Cry folder another in the Bin32 folder. After OPENGL was set on both of them it works....4 hours later, bah!

[This message was edited by Elusive_Pastry on Sat March 27 2004 at 11:59 PM.]

[This message was edited by Elusive_Pastry on Sun March 28 2004 at 12:08 AM.]

[This message was edited by Elusive_Pastry on Sun March 28 2004 at 01:11 AM.]

Elusive_Pastry
03-28-2004, 12:45 AM
This is f()#&(&*!! ridiculous, what in the hell did they do to this game?? I zoomed back from Best Buy eager to play, installed fine, aaaannnnd...."Please insert the correct CD". So I spend two hours looking for a fix (I have the US 5 cd copy) to no avail, so I flip Ubi the bird and download a no-cd patch. Great, game config runs, click ok, aaaaannnnd....get to stare at a black screen. I tried the r_Driver="OPENGL" trick to no avail, I tried setting everything to Low to no avail, I tried turning VSync on and off to no avail (not that it would make a diff since I can't even start a game), I've tried rolling back to the 53.03 drivers to no avail, and I've tried screaming at the monitor in several different languages all to no avail. WTF? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/35.gif

WinXP Home
2 ghz P4
GeForce 3 500 using both 56.64 and 53.03 drivers
512 RDram
SB Live!

UPDATE: Nevermind. For some reason I have TWO system config files, one in the main Far Cry folder another in the Bin32 folder. After OPENGL was set on both of them it works....4 hours later, bah!

[This message was edited by Elusive_Pastry on Sat March 27 2004 at 11:59 PM.]

[This message was edited by Elusive_Pastry on Sun March 28 2004 at 12:08 AM.]

[This message was edited by Elusive_Pastry on Sun March 28 2004 at 01:11 AM.]