PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on making the demo run faster :)

XyZspineZyX
01-28-2004, 07:49 PM
First of all, i would like to say well done to the developers of the game, from the demo Far Cry looks really promising. Secondly on this forum you seem to know a whole lot of s**t about pcs and making games run faster, so thanks for any help you give me. Below are my specs

AMD Athlon 1.4ghz
256 MB Ram
Geforce FX 5600 256mb (Latest Drivers, Lastest Direct X)
Windows XP Home Edition (All updates istalled)

Now im getting 20-30 fps on meduim details, and having just brought my graphics card (mid range, No AA or AF), i would hope that the game would run better. I think one of the reasons why it is slow is my AGP X4 motherboard port. So heres my questions, is there anyway i could make the game run better (console commands ect) without turning down the details?

Im gonna upgrade my rig, but being a teenager, half the time i have no money. What would give me the biggest perfomance boost out of upgrading my RAM or Processor and motherboard? Is it really necsercary to get 1gb to play new DX 9 games on full details? Im looking to the future now (HL2, Doom 3, Stalker Ect).

Thanks in advance.

XyZspineZyX
01-28-2004, 07:49 PM
First of all, i would like to say well done to the developers of the game, from the demo Far Cry looks really promising. Secondly on this forum you seem to know a whole lot of s**t about pcs and making games run faster, so thanks for any help you give me. Below are my specs

AMD Athlon 1.4ghz
256 MB Ram
Geforce FX 5600 256mb (Latest Drivers, Lastest Direct X)
Windows XP Home Edition (All updates istalled)

Now im getting 20-30 fps on meduim details, and having just brought my graphics card (mid range, No AA or AF), i would hope that the game would run better. I think one of the reasons why it is slow is my AGP X4 motherboard port. So heres my questions, is there anyway i could make the game run better (console commands ect) without turning down the details?

Im gonna upgrade my rig, but being a teenager, half the time i have no money. What would give me the biggest perfomance boost out of upgrading my RAM or Processor and motherboard? Is it really necsercary to get 1gb to play new DX 9 games on full details? Im looking to the future now (HL2, Doom 3, Stalker Ect).

Thanks in advance.

XyZspineZyX
01-28-2004, 07:54 PM
Having a lot of RAM is required to play a game such as Far Cry properly, because of the HUGE maps and details... I only have 256 DDR ram, and the game keeps stopping up etc.

XyZspineZyX
01-28-2004, 08:07 PM
Will making the page file bigger help the perfomance?

XyZspineZyX
01-28-2004, 08:30 PM
The difference between having an 8x slot vs. a 4x slot is negligible; in any case you're doing well to run the game on medium with that setup. You might get some extra performance by setting /r_glare = 0.

WG

XyZspineZyX
01-28-2004, 08:41 PM
change cpu 1,4ghz is nothing today, at least a 2ghz would do good.

Master_82
============================
System Specs:
XP2500+ @ XP3200+ (200fsb)
512MB DDR PC3200 KINGSTON HYPERX
GeForce4 4800-SE 128 MB (310/675)
WD 80GB+120GB (BOTH 8MB CACHES)
Windows XP Pro Corporate Edition
DirectX 9.1ahttp://mywebpage.netscape.com/HawksBurk/transam.jpg

XyZspineZyX
01-28-2004, 08:41 PM
change cpu 1,4ghz is nothing today, at least a 2ghz would do good.

Master_82
============================
System Specs:
XP2500+ @ XP3200+ (200fsb)
512MB DDR PC3200 KINGSTON HYPERX
GeForce4 4800-SE 128 MB (310/675)
WD 80GB+120GB (BOTH 8MB CACHES)
Windows XP Pro Corporate Edition
DirectX 9.1a
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/HawksBurk/transam.jpg

XyZspineZyX
01-28-2004, 08:51 PM
Master_82 wrote:
- change cpu 1,4ghz is nothing today, at least a 2ghz
- would do good.

Thanks for the help people, im gonna start looking for some good deals on both RAM and Processors. Whats better AMD or Pentium? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Anyone know what websites can give me a good deal from the UK.

XyZspineZyX
01-28-2004, 08:56 PM
Definitely RAM, you need at least 512MB, more if possible...but there's something funky with the demo engine that even causes problems with high end rigs so don't expect miracles...utrn texture filtering to low definitely helps without impacting the visuals much

Anyway, more RAM is definitely your best bet.

XyZspineZyX
01-28-2004, 09:06 PM
Thanks qwante...

It seems that i have a socket A processor, which means i can upgrade to 2ghz for 70. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I just hope cooling aint a problem then :S.

I better start saving :O Now how do i find money for the games :S