PDA

View Full Version : About bulletwound decals

XyZspineZyX
01-30-2004, 07:17 PM
I don't know if someone else has noticed this already, but it seems that bullet wound decals only stay, if they were caused by the pistol.

Have \p_deathtime 999 and try shooting for example the enemies on the "shark pier" with the pistol and then check that they have some visible bullet wounds somewhere (I wish there was a decal for hitting the body armor as well) then play for some time and come back and you should see that they still have the bullet wounds on them.

If you try that with the other weapons you'll see that the bullet wounds will disappear..sometimes even when you repeatedly shoot a body.

I wonder if that's something that can be fixed by editing a file...

The game still seems to have problems with headshot bulletwounds, often if you shoot someone in the forehead or face they won't have a bullet wound.

XyZspineZyX
01-30-2004, 07:17 PM
I don't know if someone else has noticed this already, but it seems that bullet wound decals only stay, if they were caused by the pistol.

Have \p_deathtime 999 and try shooting for example the enemies on the "shark pier" with the pistol and then check that they have some visible bullet wounds somewhere (I wish there was a decal for hitting the body armor as well) then play for some time and come back and you should see that they still have the bullet wounds on them.

If you try that with the other weapons you'll see that the bullet wounds will disappear..sometimes even when you repeatedly shoot a body.

I wonder if that's something that can be fixed by editing a file...

The game still seems to have problems with headshot bulletwounds, often if you shoot someone in the forehead or face they won't have a bullet wound.

XyZspineZyX
01-30-2004, 07:20 PM
There is a cap on how many bullethole decals are placed on a body, no matter what. I'm guessing about 50 bullet holes can be pumped into a body before they start disappearing.

"Big O! Showtime!" - Roger Smith, The Big Ohttp://www.zerogamersmedia.com/ka_filmworks/BigOBanner.jpg

XyZspineZyX
01-30-2004, 07:20 PM
If i shoot a body the bulletholes will stay for me, but only if you i shoot them upclose.

1 thing is sure: It looks great, i once pumped all my bullets in 1 body; its like his face/arms/legs werent even there /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
01-30-2004, 07:57 PM
Kato_Arabel wrote:
- There is a cap on how many bullethole decals are
- placed on a body, no matter what. I'm guessing about
- 50 bullet holes can be pumped into a body before
- they start disappearing.

Yeah, but you don't usually fire that many bullets into a body before they die and still the bulletholes disappear unless you were using the pistol.

XyZspineZyX
01-30-2004, 09:02 PM
Okay..now I'm puzzled. I was just playing and all the bullet holes seem to be displayed, no matter what weapon I used. Maybe it's a memory thing or something.

One thing's for sure though: you don't get bullet holes on enemies shot from far away. I think it has something to do with the LOD models.

Speaking of LOD models, I noticed that there's a reverse Michael Jackson effect on the enemy models. Far away every enemy looks like a white guy, but when you go closer the enemy you just shot could be a black guy. I think the developers forgot to include a dark skin texture for the LOD models. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Jonio85
03-24-2004, 06:38 PM
I got the same problem. When i shoot them upclose i see the wounds. Every one of them.
But when i shoot them in 20-100 meters or more.. There is not a single bullet hole.. Even if i have "Very high" on everything.

But! if i zoom in with a sniperrifle on 200-300 meters and shoot them for example in the neck.
The bullet hole appears.. Maybe anyone knows how to fix this?

I got a AMD XP1800 , 512 DDR ram and Geforce 4 ti4600. If that helps.

Thx 4 answers :]

LaXu
03-25-2004, 09:49 AM
Now, this is an old post and I already solved the case and informed people about it, but it seems it went very much unnoticed.

The problem is that bullet holes do not appear on anything but the highest detail models. Now, since lower detail models are used for characters that are further away from you (to save memory and increase fps since you can't see all the details anyway) if you shoot a guy far away from you and go close he will have no bulletholes.

Anyway, now since the full game seems to have the same problem, here's the solution:

1. Start game in developer mode (add -DEVMODE to the command line)
2. Start a level.
3. Open the console.
4. Type "\ca_LodBias 0.035f" (without quotes of course)

What this does is it defines when level of detail (LOD) models are used for the characters. The default value is 0.125f. Setting it to 0.0 would mean that the highest detail LOD models would be used all the time, which just isn't practical. With the 0.035f setting the LOD models are only used for characters that are really far away from you. Try different values to find what works best for you.

The value of ca_LodBias seems to be reset to default every time you start the game even if you define it in a config file, so you have to type it once every time you start the game, after loading a level. You don't have to do it every time you start a new level, just once is ok..it stays on until you quit the game.