PDA

View Full Version : A City For One??

Darthvodka
02-05-2004, 09:09 PM
What is even the point of having a city if you are going to be the only person in it?? huh??
What so i can find makers and post my fast times on these forums? (this Blows) if there is not going to be live They might as well delete D'ni give us new ages (apparently we'll get these in expansion packs) I feel like the episode of the Twilight Zone W/ the guy that had no time to read books but then suddenly everyone disapears and he has all the time in the world.... And he breaks his damn glasses "It's not fair!" he ecalaims, "I had time I had time!"

Atrus Ki 02741647

I AM
http://img6.photobucket.com/albums/v19/Darthvodka/dvsig.jpg
And a SLLG

Thanks to all those who got this signature thing working for me

Darthvodka
02-05-2004, 09:09 PM
What is even the point of having a city if you are going to be the only person in it?? huh??
What so i can find makers and post my fast times on these forums? (this Blows) if there is not going to be live They might as well delete D'ni give us new ages (apparently we'll get these in expansion packs) I feel like the episode of the Twilight Zone W/ the guy that had no time to read books but then suddenly everyone disapears and he has all the time in the world.... And he breaks his damn glasses "It's not fair!" he ecalaims, "I had time I had time!"

Atrus Ki 02741647

I AM
And a SLLG

Zard0z
02-05-2004, 09:14 PM
Its a step back, single player games cannot offer what online games can. Its the gaming companies trying to hang on to the old world.

MYSTEXILE
02-05-2004, 09:34 PM
That was a great episode of Twilight Zone Darth, dont forget he had a nagging wife too. I guess in our case that would be the DRC or Yeesha. Both are a nagging pain IMO.

Srikandi
02-05-2004, 10:08 PM
Not the first time D'ni has been abruptly emptied... Gehn lived there almost alone for decades. A city for one? Fits the story to a T.

We will all miss the companionship, though.

Sri's Relto (http://members.cox.net/srikandi/Uru/)

Di-ane
02-06-2004, 12:19 AM
A city alone...would it be too much to ask that occasionally someone else walks by, or you see someone in the distance? Certainly the servers have a ton of avatars to hoose from...it would be interesting to just see the other chose appearances...no two people alike.
better than nothing

Srikandi
02-06-2004, 02:32 AM
They've said there will be more NPCs in the expansions. So who knows.

Maybe we'll get to meet the little man from the boat!

Sri's Relto (http://members.cox.net/srikandi/Uru/)

Hamsta
02-06-2004, 03:42 AM
They could at least implement a Multiplayer Function so that I don't have to solve the puzzles alone (that was the best part, i never got down to Ae'Gura anyways).

XyZspineZyX
02-06-2004, 03:51 AM
I think they could build characters into the city, like with Zandi in the desert - perhaps just walking or looking at a view. Perhaps even some restoration engineers.

Corun
02-06-2004, 05:53 AM
Ok, I get it now. The whole Prologue thing was just to gather a bunch of characters that Cyan could use as NPCs in the future expansions of the standalone game. So we'll all still be able to interact with each other, but for my you'll all be NPCs, and for you I will be. Pretty neat trick guys.

<Caution: Place tongue firmly in cheek while reading the above post>

Corun
KI #660172

"Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does." - Groucho Marx

mszv
02-06-2004, 09:39 AM
I really liked meeting other players in the city. I also liked wandering around it all by myself. Sometimes I did that, in the first beta. Early on, there weren't a lot of people in my timezone, so there were times I had the city to myself, if I got on late at night. I thought the city was very old, mysterious and evocative, oddly peaceful.

Guess they will have to emphasize the "mysterious and evocative" part.

Regards, mszv play as amarez
KI #: 81782, Achener (main shard)
KI #: 2679970, Katran

Put that down, you are not in a game, this is my life!
------------------
How to submit a bug report From Uru Live - ? (lower right) - ? (help), Contact Customer Service (bottom), From Forum - http://support.ubi.com/ - Knowledge base (left), Ask a question.

hogarth...
02-06-2004, 11:35 AM
It will be a long time before I will be able to face the City without heartache.

Life has far too many leave-takings. I have lost so many friends in RL that the dead outnumber the living 20-fold. Yet I hadn't expected this event to hit me so hard. I wasn't prepared.

This is a feeling I think many of us share. We know it's "only a game", but our hearts still ache.

I know that the people who developed this experience hoped it would take wings and soar, and for them I also am sad. This is not how it was supposed to be.

The final ending has not yet been written, true...but one end HAS come.

We will miss you, Uru. We will always remember.

In Atrus as hogarth
KI # 04660700

ilfordboy
02-06-2004, 11:51 AM
SAD is the feeling I have had since the announcement, doomed to a lonely Myst/Uru future. Glimpsing other city dwellers without being able to interact/communicate will make even more depressed.
Does anyone else get that panicky feeling when being left behind in an age? Perhaps I just need help in RL!

ilfordboy in; -Atrus (Mad Mushroom): 02657986, Katran (Time Lords): 00275237 -
parlauNOSPAM@web.de

Workers, shirkers all the same.
This whole life is just a game.

Elspet
02-06-2004, 12:02 PM
It's strange, but, the City is something I'm really looking forward to in the single-player expansion pack. I met people in the city, but no offense, you are almost all good folks in-game, but most of the time sharing the City was an annoyance. I wanted to explore it, without distracting people running past with cones and telling each other where to look for the markers. I will deeply miss multiplayer gameplay in the neighborhoods, and running around our ages (especially Kemo, the age-sharer's favorite) in packs, but I will not miss the presence of 29 or 34 other people in the City itself.

City for one? I'll buy that for a dollar! Eder for one? Awww, bleep. Said with deep sadness.

-----------------------------

Guild of Research and Inquiry (http://researchguild.uruki.com)
------------------------------
What color is your umbrella?

XyZspineZyX
02-06-2004, 12:34 PM
Hogarth, you're making that smoke appear in front of my eyes again. It looks like we'll be needing this forum even more in the weeks to come. We have a wonderful community here - better, I think than it could ever be in Uru Live, because we're closer to real life here.

Exploring the city alone will be sad, but maybe that's not a bad thing. We know that in the story the D'ni civilization fell. The loneliness in the city will be a poignant reminder of that, and bring us closer to that story, closer to the storyline which Rand says is central to all the Myst games - closer to Uru.

geekywitch
02-06-2004, 12:53 PM
Elspet~ I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. While I found it a cool novelty to see others running around the city, I won't be disappointed to have it all to myself, either. When I want to explore, I honestly would rather do it alone so I can stop, take notes, and take in the sights at my own pace.

I *will* miss the interaction in the neighborhoods, however. Of all of the things in Uru Live, I think that is my greatest loss.

I don't see this as a failure at all- Cyan raised the bar for online games that don't require hack-and-slash style play. Someone always needs to jump out and take the risk before the pack manages to catch on.

I just hope I'll have the opportunity to see the final result when it succeeds. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

~ Mel.

*~~*~~*~~*~~*
Kestra
Katran: 00022856
Achenar: 00227181

Darthvodka
02-06-2004, 08:01 PM
Hey i like the idea of making it multiplayer, that would be cool. just have 4 to 8 people link directly together over the net. like when x-wing vs tie fighter came out, no need for servers one person gives there ip to ther buddies and presto. then atleast you and your best uru buds could still play together. why not it can't be that hard!

oh yeah BUMP

Atrus Ki 02741647

I AM
And a SLLG

Mysthints
02-07-2004, 08:39 AM
I wouldn't mind exploring the D'ni city by myself. I'm sure I would've enjoyed Live, and if Cyan could throw in a small multiplayer component for free in with the new content in the expansion packs, I would enjoy it. But since I wasn't planning to sign up for Live anyhow, I'm very excited about getting to explore the City and additional Ages that I wouldn't have otherwise.

DonnaLP
02-08-2004, 11:23 PM
I was thinking that part of the reason they dumped URU live was technical, things are just hard to keep running until the internet gets those better fiberoptic super conductors or whatever they are. The lag was torture. Was just in there for the last time(sheds a tear) tonight and it was real fast. Finally mastered getting up the tent rope...oh well...

DonnaLP
02-08-2004, 11:31 PM
Reading everyone's posts and getting in touch with my sadness which is an overlay to the fact I am in the middle of a 7 day stretch of work with one day off and feel stressed anyway. I have been in denial because I don't feel it is right to be this upset about a game but it was the beginning of a lot of new stuff for me. URU live itself, finding these forums and just everything. Well I hope the expansion pack comes out soon and it is as good as the hints say it is.