PDA

View Full Version : Checkpoint Saving is a good Idea =)

XyZspineZyX
01-26-2004, 06:13 AM
I know a lot of ppl will disagree with this, but i think checkpoint saving makes the gameplay a lot more exciting.
I used to think quicksave was handy, especially with hard games, but i find the checkpoint system a lot more rewarding in FPS's now. It retains the excitement in gameplay bcuz u know when u know if u die u will have to go back a ways. In C.o.d, despite having QS, i made the descision to only save at every checkpoint. This made the game infinetly more exciting, and the fights more challenging and rewrding. The other thing with checkpoint saving is the game isnt as short as u have to play some scenes a number of times, which isnt a problem bcuz,well, the game is FUN.
I think most ppl want the option so they can decide when and where they save, but if ne1 is like me, then having QS means using QS, almost every min.
With QS I get into this mode where im totally half *** in battles, bcuz my last save is like 30 secs back. It seems more like your goin thru the motions rather than really playing the game.
Well that my 2 cents and maybe cryteks aswell.

Ps: ne1 who has played Halo with the same system will know a litte bit wot i mean =)

XyZspineZyX
01-26-2004, 06:13 AM
I know a lot of ppl will disagree with this, but i think checkpoint saving makes the gameplay a lot more exciting.
I used to think quicksave was handy, especially with hard games, but i find the checkpoint system a lot more rewarding in FPS's now. It retains the excitement in gameplay bcuz u know when u know if u die u will have to go back a ways. In C.o.d, despite having QS, i made the descision to only save at every checkpoint. This made the game infinetly more exciting, and the fights more challenging and rewrding. The other thing with checkpoint saving is the game isnt as short as u have to play some scenes a number of times, which isnt a problem bcuz,well, the game is FUN.
I think most ppl want the option so they can decide when and where they save, but if ne1 is like me, then having QS means using QS, almost every min.
With QS I get into this mode where im totally half *** in battles, bcuz my last save is like 30 secs back. It seems more like your goin thru the motions rather than really playing the game.
Well that my 2 cents and maybe cryteks aswell.

Ps: ne1 who has played Halo with the same system will know a litte bit wot i mean =)

XyZspineZyX
01-26-2004, 06:20 AM
Exactly. I THINK of it as a way back in time to redo what i messed up on. Personally its easier then having to remember to save.

XyZspineZyX
01-26-2004, 06:42 AM
Blah blah blah it doesn't matter because the full version with have quick save and quick load like every other FPS every because that is what the mass consumer market wants. Not check points. Im really happy that you enjoy them and they will be in the final version last I heard but so will quick saving and quick loading.

The reason the checkpoint system worked as well as it did in halo is that the combat was linear. Its not in this. At all. That deteriorates the desire for a checkpoint only save system.

If you're wondering how I know that quick save/load will be in the final version their are two reasons:
1. Common sense and
2. \save_game * and \load_game * work in the demo. Go ahead and bind those commands and you have saving and loading. I have no idea what the syntax is for binding those commands to keys because I havnt really investigated it, but chances are its something really simple.

XyZspineZyX
01-26-2004, 07:08 AM
I guess i thought it would b one or the other. But having both options would b fine with me.