PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Customer's impressions of CM 10

Philip Johnston
08-15-2004, 08:20 AM

Philip Johnston
08-15-2004, 08:20 AM

zeroality
08-15-2004, 06:20 PM
Still trying to figure out how to make the board stay the same size when I resize the application. Shouldn't have added that anchoring feature. Other than that it's been cool so far.

Zero

"His strength is unreal. He is far stronger in reality than any story you might have heard about him."

imrtl
08-15-2004, 07:04 PM
As I stated in another thread it would be nice if the game analysis, auto-notation, played through the all moves, like in 9k. Instead of forcing me to step through each move individually. then pressing play on the analysis window. Unless I just haven't figured out the trick to it yet.

zeroality
08-15-2004, 10:11 PM
Also, I think you guys went too far on the design and the layout. Sure, the intro movie is cool and all but gets annoying after the 10th time and the regular "windows" window was fine. Wasn't any need for a "fancy" customized one, it just takes up more sys resources. If I didn't have one of the best computers on the market, I'd be really annoyed cuz it'd be slow. Too bad we can't just import the updated King engine to CM 9000, that's all I'm really interested in.

Edit: I just booted up CM9000 and noticed that the window on it is customized as well but it isn't imposing nor does it "stand out". That's how it should have been in CM 10th.

Zero

[This message was edited by zeroality on Sun August 15 2004 at 09:39 PM.]

zeroality
08-15-2004, 11:13 PM
OK, I was really trying out CM 10th edition, writing down what I didn't like in a notepad file to post here. Well, after about the 18th thing that I wrote down, I just gave up. What I'd like to know, is it possible to port the upgraded King engine to play (properly and at full strength) in CM 9000? Thanks. Good job on 10th Edition, I suppose its good for people who want eye candy and such.

Zero

"His strength is unreal. He is far stronger in reality than any story you might have heard about him."

Yarsnez
12-11-2004, 03:26 AM
Looks very nice, but crashes on my system with a buffer overrrun error. Tech support tried there best but I found that re-installing without the latest patches (Currently 1.01 & 1.02) that the program seems more stable, but testing continues. I'm not convinced it's a stable release. I have no problems running other chess progs, and so overall impression is low.

darthmix
12-11-2004, 07:46 PM
I really wanted to like CM10. But I have to agree with what others have said here: The program went overboard on design at the expense of functionality. I'd like to have seen a little less attention to graphics and 3D glasses and more to the analysis and database features. I'd rather have a lean, functional chess program than a big, buggy monster.

Also, I've been completely unable to resolve my online play problems. I've installed all patches and I still get timeouts every time I try to start a game. All my other online games, including Fritz, play just fine.

The expanded Waitzkin tutorials, however, are great and are the program's saving grace. But overall I'd definitely recommend people stick with CM9k or try Fritz.