PDA

View Full Version : Crashing to desktop (again) and other small nagging problems

eunos-x
09-07-2004, 06:18 PM
A week or two ago I posted a problem and didn't really receive much help. The game worked fine until I reached a certain stage. The loading process for the next stage would finish loading then the game exits to the desktop with no error message.

Well, the problem went away so I played about 10 more stages perfectly until you have to blow up Crow in the helicopter. As soon as I blow up the helicopter it loads the next stage and exits to the desktop again. It's very annoying because it doesn't save the game so I have to keep killing crow just to see if it "may" successfully load the next level.

This is an awesome game (the first I've enjoyed in a long time) but it's plagued with too many problems. I also have graphical glitches all over the island and get kicked from multiplayer servers the second I join which I see are other frequent problems here.

Once again here are my computer specs if anyone knows a fix for this. I tried searching and came up with nothing. My system isn't overclocked, has plenty of (good) memory, and a decent video card. Hopefully it will randomly go away in a few days so I can finish the game.

Windows XP Pro
AMD AMD64 3400+
evga nvidia 6800 GT [driver 61.76]

(61.77 caused problems viewing videos, .wmv, .avi, etc).

1 gig crucial ballistix pc3200

Thanks.

eunos-x
09-07-2004, 06:18 PM
A week or two ago I posted a problem and didn't really receive much help. The game worked fine until I reached a certain stage. The loading process for the next stage would finish loading then the game exits to the desktop with no error message.

Well, the problem went away so I played about 10 more stages perfectly until you have to blow up Crow in the helicopter. As soon as I blow up the helicopter it loads the next stage and exits to the desktop again. It's very annoying because it doesn't save the game so I have to keep killing crow just to see if it "may" successfully load the next level.

This is an awesome game (the first I've enjoyed in a long time) but it's plagued with too many problems. I also have graphical glitches all over the island and get kicked from multiplayer servers the second I join which I see are other frequent problems here.

Once again here are my computer specs if anyone knows a fix for this. I tried searching and came up with nothing. My system isn't overclocked, has plenty of (good) memory, and a decent video card. Hopefully it will randomly go away in a few days so I can finish the game.

Windows XP Pro
AMD AMD64 3400+
evga nvidia 6800 GT [driver 61.76]

(61.77 caused problems viewing videos, .wmv, .avi, etc).

1 gig crucial ballistix pc3200

Thanks.

gain967
09-07-2004, 06:28 PM
have u tried the 1.2 patch?

eunos-x
09-07-2004, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I did not install the patch because I read on these forums that the patch was recalled ???

If I have problems with the patch can I easily revert back to 1.1 or will I have to reinstall the game?

Thanks again.

hazards32
09-08-2004, 04:24 AM
I am not certain if this would cause your crashs but i think 61.76 are meant for win98 and you have xp ,61.77 is for that.
Try 1.2 but it does have SP problems ,binocs not registering enemies and other stuff ,1.1 has less SP bugs .
Its not to difficult to revert back ,just keep both patches on your pc .

hazards32
09-08-2004, 04:25 AM
Also ,you obviously want to continue from where you are .Do 1.1 save games work in 1.2 or will he have to start from scratch?

SnaFu2232
09-08-2004, 03:32 PM
1.1 saved games worked for me with the 1.2 patch. and the 1.2 games worked fine with the 1.1 patch.
if u r getting kicked from multiplayer games, i found that the -devmode switch caused my problems. i would get kicked immediatly after connecting to a server. i removed -devmode and have had no problems.

SnaFu
Alienware Aurora
AMD Anthlon 64 FX-53
ASUS SK8V VIA K8T800
1GB Corsair XMS DDR PC-3200
PNY 6800 Ultra
120GB Barrcuda SATA HDD
SB Audigy 2 ZS
Radius 21" Flat Monitor
Win XP SP2

m3ksh33p
09-08-2004, 04:19 PM
I am having the crash to desktop problem also. But it happens at random spots at anytime, I have tryed 1.1 and 1.2 , I reverted back to the 61.21 drivers , and it still crashes , but not as much... the 61.77 were crashing my pc for some reason, and why arnt' the "digitaly signed" ??

I have checked my temps at crash and nothing is runn'n hot.. 116f pc, 57 vid card, I dont have a clue WTF is going on..

AMD 3000+ 2.10g
1g pc3200 ram
2x(80g wd 7200 rpm)
geforce 6800 350mhz , 700mhz
antec 400w tru blue

hazards32
09-08-2004, 05:06 PM
I have a pc mag with a disc saying which version is for which OS ,thats the only resion i am sayin that ,plus 61.77 are whql.

THE MAIN PROBLEM IS THAT NO-ONE KNOWS WHY THIS GAME CRASHES TO DESKTOP.Wow ,got it off my chest .Sorry we can be no help but this game just crashes on certain rigs and no-one knows why ,they can be pure vanilla and farcry will just crash for no reason(i am discounting overclocked systems,they crash for that reason).

m3ksh33p
09-09-2004, 03:55 PM
I think you have figured out the mystery, hazard,, It crash's , and noone knows why, where, or when... but its gonna crash.. maybe right out my friggen window ...for the last time!!!

BTW EA/UBI ...PATCH THIS $HIT!!

m3ksh33p
09-09-2004, 07:48 PM
I got a new copy of farcry that came with my geforce 6800, so for ****s and giggles , I let a friend put it on his comp which is a gateway intel p4 1.7g . 768 ram, and a geforce 4600ti card at like stock speed of 400 core 675 memory..
Now the game is VERY playable on his rig at high settings.... here is the kicker... he has not downloaded any of the patches .. just playing the game out of the box ...has never had a crash...
Do you think that both of these patches could have been a BIG mistake ???

CzarSketch
09-10-2004, 01:27 PM
they've added new features, tweaked things that didn't make it crash, but made it obnoxious for some users. anyway, i've noticed the same crashing problem. it happened after i upgraded from a radeon 9600XT to a gf6800 GT with 512 more RAM. it was going fast, maybe 80 FPS, and then BOOM! crash to desktop. I havne't reinstalled, been trying to fix it wihtout ruining my saved games. anyway, here's my specs.

AMD AthlonXP 3000+
333MHZ FSB
1024 MB PC2700 DDRRAM
GF6800 GT 256 MB 408/1110
XP Home
Farcry 1.2

eunos-x
09-10-2004, 03:52 PM
Thanks, I haven't tried installing the patch yet because I was waiting to see if the problem would go away like it did previously.

I have never patched the game. It's already version 1.1.0.1230 so I don't believe I can uninstall the 1.2 patch without reinstalling the whole thing ???

Regarding the drivers: The nvidia 61.77 were causing video problems so I went to my video card manufacturer's website (evga.com) and downloaded:

61.76_2KXP.exe
Notes: These drivers are Microsoft WHQL certified for Windows 2000 and Windows XP. They contain a significant number of updates including a large number of performance and stability enhancements for various games.